Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   LED replacement for radium 1230U bicolour bulb (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/led-replacement-for-radium-1230u-bicolour-bulb-156416.html)

sjk1000 16-11-2015 14:51

LED replacement for radium 1230U bicolour bulb

Hi all
I need to replace the bulb on my bicolour lamp and I'm looking for an LED equivalent. The original is here:

Ship navigation lamp SN-T 25W/1230U/12/BAY15D | Radium.de

Some LEDs I've seen online are less bright, others not a "warm white recommended for a bicolour", some are encased in a glass bulb, some specify a 2year warranty...

Can anyone provide advice on this, or simply recommend a replacement.
Thanks for reading, Steve

wrwakefield 16-11-2015 16:39

Re: LED replacement for radium 1230U bicolour bulb

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjk1000 (Post 1964134)
Hi all
I need to replace the bulb on my bicolour lamp and I'm looking for an LED equivalent. The original is here:

Ship navigation lamp SN-T 25W/1230U/12/BAY15D | Radium.de

Some LEDs I've seen online are less bright, others not a "warm white recommended for a bicolour", some are encased in a glass bulb, some specify a 2year warranty...

Can anyone provide advice on this, or simply recommend a replacement.
Thanks for reading, Steve

Hey Steve,

Cruising Solutions is a great resource for LED lights and other cruiser resources. [They are also sailors...]

You didn't mention the brand of bi-color fixture you have, but maybe this one will fit... They also have new sealed light units in case that is appealing...

Since you need a combo red and green LED that is indexed for your fixture, it will cost a bit more than an all white LED.

Cheers!

-Bill

sjk1000 19-11-2015 02:55

Thanks for the quick reply Bill. It's only a white bulb I need - an LED alternative to the white radium 1230U in the link. I'm overwhelmed with options - warm white for bicolour, required lumens, covered/bare LED, are they as long lasting or does the 2year warranty indicate that they last just over 2years... etc. I'll take a look at the Cruising solutions site to see what they offer.
Best wishes , Steve

GordMay 19-11-2015 05:25

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve.

wrwakefield 19-11-2015 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjk1000 (Post 1965969)
Thanks for the quick reply Bill. It's only a white bulb I need - an LED alternative to the white radium 1230U in the link. I'm overwhelmed with options - warm white for bicolour, required lumens, covered/bare LED, are they as long lasting or does the 2year warranty indicate that they last just over 2years... etc. I'll take a look at the Cruising solutions site to see what they offer.
Best wishes , Steve

You are welcome, Steve.

Let me mention while it is logical for us to think- when upgrading to LED bulbs in our navigation lights- that we should get the same color as the incandescent lamp we are replacing. However it doesn't work that way. A white LED will NOT work behind colored lenses [it will be very dim because the colored lens will absorb most of the light- passing only the color that matches the lens...] White LEDs only work with clear navigation lens applications [e.g., steaming, anchor, or stern lights.]

You must use the same color LED as the lens it is shining through. [You will find plenty about this if you perform an internet search...]

Call Cruising Solutions and speak with Maeve. As a fellow sailor she will help you get the right bulb (which I believe is the one I linked for you in my first post.) They are the only source I have found for the bi-color LED for your bi-color bow light. There may be others.

Cordially,

Bill

woodenboats 19-11-2015 13:28

There's another reason not to use LED in traditional navigation lights: Traditional light bulbs for this purpose are manufactured so that the actual light source, when looked at from above, is a single point. This way the angle ov visibility can be controller by blind on the die of the lamp. In LED the source of light is cylinder with a diameter of more than 10mm, the angle will be wrong. This can easily be seen when comparing the visibility of red and green from slighty off-angle to dead ahead.

Sent from my Lenovo B8080-H using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app