Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   OpenCPN (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/)
-   -   Incorrect placement of waypoint after coordinate input (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/incorrect-placement-of-waypoint-after-coordinate-input-156099.html)

JMK200 10-11-2015 19:45

Incorrect placement of waypoint after coordinate input

Hi,
I have a new laptop, running on Windows 8, opencpn version 4.00. I am putting in waypoints on this laptop via the Tools, Route and Mark Manager, Waypoints, New, method but the waypoints appear in the wrong position on CM93 map.

The waypoints I entered initially were correct. However as I moved to the east and north by some 48 nm the waypoints were in the wrong position. And yet further waypoints added, some 120nm to the NW, were again in the correct position.

I confirmed the incorrect positions by comparison with my other laptop (Windows 7, opencpn version 4.0.0) running side by side with the new laptop, and entering the same waypoints.

Can anyone help?

Thanks JMK

JMK200 10-11-2015 20:28

Re: Incorrect placement of waypoint after coordinate input

My new laptop (Toshiba) is running Windows 8.1. I cna't find whether that is supported by Opencpn?
Thanks

wdkester 11-11-2015 06:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMK200 (Post 1959463)
Hi,
I have a new laptop, running on Windows 8, opencpn version 4.00. I am putting in waypoints on this laptop via the Tools, Route and Mark Manager, Waypoints, New, method but the waypoints appear in the wrong position on CM93 map.

The waypoints I entered initially were correct. However as I moved to the east and north by some 48 nm the waypoints were in the wrong position. And yet further waypoints added, some 120nm to the NW, were again in the correct position.

I confirmed the incorrect positions by comparison with my other laptop (Windows 7, opencpn version 4.0.0) running side by side with the new laptop, and entering the same waypoints.

Can anyone help?

Thanks JMK

How about a screen shot showing the WP properties and the WP with the cursor positioned on top of it.

Is opengl on? Does this happen with it off? What type of charts?

JMK200 11-11-2015 10:16

Thanks, I'm a real beginner, what is open gl? Have not done a screenshot before but will give it a go. Thanks for your help. Stand by!

wdkester 12-11-2015 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMK200 (Post 1959925)
Thanks, I'm a real beginner, what is open gl? Have not done a screenshot before but will give it a go. Thanks for your help. Stand by!

Opengl is a library used to render charts. It is enabled/disabled in Options>Display>Advanced. I don't know what the default is.

To get a screen shot: 1.set up the screen that you want to capture 2. press print screen on the keyboard (this puts the screen image on the clipboard) 3. go to a grafics program like "Paint" and paste the image. 4. Save as a jpeg and add it to your next post.

exMaggieDrum 12-11-2015 09:16

Don't know if this might be a problem at all but after I crewed on a cruiser newbie's boat I found out that he did not understand the difference in lat/lon in degrees/minutes/secs versus degrees/decimal minutes. Decimal minutes can go up to .999 which would be about 59+ seconds. Just a thought and understandable if you had never seen it before.