Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/)
-   -   I found this sextant any idea what it is or what it's worth? (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/i-found-this-sextant-any-idea-what-it-is-or-what-its-worth-155276.html)

Runed scope 27-10-2015 08:26

I found this sextant any idea what it is or what it's worth?

It has a name on it marel with a serial number 725029 the owner says it's around a hundred years old and he thinks it was made for the navy. Does anyone have an idea on what exactly it is and what it's worth?

Capt Phil 27-10-2015 08:43

Re: I found this sextant any idea what it is or what it's worth?

Got a photo? Phil

Badsanta 27-10-2015 11:25

Check ebay

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

hellosailor 27-10-2015 12:14

A photo and any further details would help. Offhand, can't find any "Marel". Never heard of them, but it might be an antique OR it might be one of the many ornamental brass sextants that really was designed only to be hung on walls.

John_Trusty 27-10-2015 12:44

Never heard of it, but probably not a "name" considering that a Google search has this thread as one of the top returns. Compare that to a Google search for real name sextants (Freiburger, C Plath, or even Celestaire) where there are pictures, eBay postings, etc. If you're looking to actually use a sextant, a 100 year old thing is worthless or ready to be completely refitted. If you're looking to hang something on the wall, then anything pretty will do. The brass things are a dime-a-dozen from eBay.

Adelie 27-10-2015 12:47

I found this sextant any idea what it is or what it's worth?

NavList at http://www.fer3.com/arc/ would be a better venue for this question or at least to better id the item.

Also Bill Morris at http://sextantbook.com.

GordMay 28-10-2015 06:19

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Runed scope.

MAREL might refer to: “Mesures Automatisées en Réseau pour l'Environnement Littoral”

SaltyMetals 28-10-2015 09:30

I bought a fancy looking brass sextant, one that you can hang on a wall or place on a shelf as a display. Think it was from a shop in Dubai. I suggest you test the one you have as to its accuracy. Did that on mine (horizon) and it was several degrees wrong, consistently wrong. Suggest you stick w GPS and put yrs on a shelf or hang it on the wall.

lesterbutch 28-10-2015 09:47

The current value is going to be based on demand, but in good condition around 100 bucks as a novelty! I have a couple of Weems and Plath and there has not been much interest when I advertised them.

Sea Dreaming 28-10-2015 09:53

I love a good mystery, so I went looking. I did not find the answers to your questions, but you might consult with this guy if the answer is valuable to you.

Sextant Restorations | The Nautical Sextant

tdoster 28-10-2015 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runed scope (Post 1947490)
It has a name on it marel with a serial number 725029 the owner says it's around a hundred years old and he thinks it was made for the navy. Does anyone have an idea on what exactly it is and what it's worth?

It is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it...

I have a few old sextants I have collected over the years and they don't seem to appreciate like you would think they would and most of the marine collectables we have of value are tied to a specific person or ship with a verifiable history. Some things have the most value by donating them to museums so at least you have a legacy and tax write-off.

El Pinguino 28-10-2015 15:33

If it looks nice and shiny like this Sextant Nautical Brass 4" With Wooden Box then it isn't a real sextant but just some recently reconstituted bit of engineroom plumbing made in India .

buzzstar 28-10-2015 22:16

To answer the question: I was not familiar with the name. I was curious and did a bit of quick research. I remain unfamiliar with the name in connection with sextants.

Advice: Do not buy it. If you want a "good" sextant, buy s good one and pay the price. If you want an inexpensive one to learn on, bay a plastic Davis Mk [can't recall the numbers] on eBay. If you want something on the coffee table for guests to play with, buy something like the one in the box that El Pinguino posted above.

Nikolina 30-10-2015 19:29

It's French MAREL,Mesures Automatisées en Réseau pour l'Environnement Littoral