Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Solid FG Hull Damage (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/solid-fg-hull-damage-154836.html)

dschultz 19-10-2015 13:42

Solid FG Hull Damage
 
There has been a Hinckley Bermuda 40 on E-BAY since, roughly, June.

Beautiful boat. However, not shown, or otherwise evident in the EBay listing, is a below the waterline puncture.

Besides the obvious project items: patching the hole, fixing/replacing the engine/electronics, rewiring, pumping out the fuel tank, is there anything else to be concerned with?

As opposed to a cored structure, it seems that it would take an enormous amount of force to produce such an "unplanned through hull" :) Could such an amount of force, necessary to pierce an apx 1" solid FG hull produce other, more serious, initially undetectable, structural damage?

CharlzO 19-10-2015 14:12

Re: Solid FG Hull Damage
 
My guess is that it would depend on exactly what was impacted to cause the hole. If it was something very pointed and sharp that made a piercing hole, then it's likely to be localized to that area, which you would be repairing anyway when you fair out the hole to re-glass it. If it was something very blunt however, it may have stressed it farther outward. Or if there was a pinching collision, then who knows. Really probably depends on how it happened, of course there might be no way to know, depending on if the seller knows the full history.

minaret 19-10-2015 14:26

Re: Solid FG Hull Damage
 
The short answer is "yes".

dannc 19-10-2015 14:43

Re: Solid FG Hull Damage
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dschultz (Post 1941214)
...
Could such an amount of force, necessary to pierce an apx 1" solid FG hull produce other, more serious, initially undetectable, structural damage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by minaret (Post 1941239)
The short answer is "yes".

In case you do not know, pay close attention to Minaret's opinion. He knows a thing or two or three about FG.

What did the owner say caused the "unplanned through hull?" :biggrin:

Later,
Dan

roverhi 19-10-2015 14:56

Re: Solid FG Hull Damage
 
Lots of boats with a lot less damage have been repaired and are back out there sailing. Yes, there can be other problems especially if the breaches were caused by a hull speed collision with a rock. Such an accident puts tremendous loads on the rig often bringing it down. If the boat washed onto a lee shore that abraided the hull, hidden or more extensive damage is less likely. Definitely something that you wouldn't buy sight unseen.

The listing shows the damage though they weren't overly forthcoming in detailing the extent of damage. The starting price definitely wasn't low enough to cover more than just the cosmetic repairs, however.

dschultz 19-10-2015 15:09

Re: Solid FG Hull Damage
 
Quote:

What did the owner say caused the "unplanned through hull?"
I haven't talked to him/them since I looked at the boat, back in July. I'm guessing that it was totaled and they bought it from the insurance company, looking to make a quick profit.

Yes, Minaret's reply is in line with my thinking. Poking such a hole in solid FG without doing more serious damage is a low probability event.

UNCIVILIZED 19-10-2015 15:23

Re: Solid FG Hull Damage
 
Even if it was caused by a sharp object, it takes a lot of energy to perforate FG that thick. And cracks/damage tend to spider web out a fair distance from the original point of impact; be they visible to the eye or no.

Also, you have to consider what such an impact did to things like; the laminates in, & bond lines to - any floor grid(s), or keel floors. Ditto on the tabbing on other structural members, whether they be; furniture, bulkheads, liner pans, etc.

And if things like bulkheads are getting pushed on, & or out of place on one side of the boat, odds are they'll be doing some pushing on things in other areas where they meet the hull, as well.

dschultz 19-10-2015 15:30

Re: Solid FG Hull Damage
 
Quote:

The listing shows the damage though they weren't overly forthcoming in detailing the extent of damage.
I don't think it shows the through-and-through. It shows some (in places severe) abrasion, and a poorly done patch of some sort.

Quote:

The starting price definitely wasn't low enough to cover more than just the cosmetic repairs, however.
Yes, I believe that he started at $70k.
Then there's the electric and the repower.

boatpoker 19-10-2015 15:47

Re: Solid FG Hull Damage
 
I was involved in the rewiring of a new Catalina punctured and sunk in Katrina.
Contractors cost just for the rewire in 2006 ...... $60k Canadian.

leftbrainstuff 19-10-2015 15:47

Re: Solid FG Hull Damage
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dschultz (Post 1941214)
There has been a Hinckley Bermuda 40 on E-BAY since, roughly, June.

Beautiful boat. However, not shown, or otherwise evident in the EBay listing, is a below the waterline puncture.

Besides the obvious project items: patching the hole, fixing/replacing the engine/electronics, rewiring, pumping out the fuel tank, is there anything else to be concerned with?

As opposed to a cored structure, it seems that it would take an enormous amount of force to produce such an "unplanned through hull" :) Could such an amount of force, necessary to pierce an apx 1" solid FG hull produce other, more serious, initially undetectable, structural damage?

Fibreglass hulls are generally infinitely repairable with little to no loss of strength or toughness.

Latent defects such as delamination and osmosis blistering will probably be readily detectable. Detectability of the true damage, other than the hole in the hull, may be harder to fathom up front. Think corrosion of interior components like wiring, core integrity etc.

The question becomes one of cost, time, capability, resale and repair quality. Your risk appetite will likely be different to mine.

Repairs need to be adequate to recover the original utility. If you are prepared to fix it properly you just might end up with a great boat.

Do you have the time, money and skills needed? I doubt you'll save money over buying a good boat and doing some upgrades.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Cadence 20-10-2015 09:47

Re: Solid FG Hull Damage
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannc (Post 1941261)
In case you do not know, pay close attention to Minaret's opinion. He knows a thing or two or three about FG.

What did the owner say caused the "unplanned through hull?" :biggrin:

Later,
Dan

:thumb: Yes is the right answer. From what was said about condition don't spend your money on a basket case. It will cost you more in the long run.:banghead:

cgilley 20-10-2015 10:00

Re: Solid FG Hull Damage
 
Is this the one on ebay for $54K? The description says there was water in the cabin and engine, engine does not run, etc. Now maybe its just my ignorance, but $54K for a boat that's been sunk (looks like a big hole on the port side), and whose major systems are nonfunctional seems wishful thinking...

dschultz 20-10-2015 11:05

Re: Solid FG Hull Damage
 
Quote:

Is this the one on ebay for $54K?
That's the one. It started in June at 70. My offer of 25 was immediately rejected.

hamburking 20-10-2015 11:09

Re: Solid FG Hull Damage
 
First, I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one who surfs the boats on ebay looking for that deal of a lifetime.

Next...Beautiful boat. What a shame it got wrecked. I especially love the main cabin layout with pilot berths on both sides...my kids have always wanted that layout. its on some C&C41 as well.

From the look of the rudder damage, and the other scars on the bottom, my guess is the boat went ashore at a rocky place. Plenty of long scars and abrasion at keel and rudder. Based on this, you have to assume the worst, and that nothing works. The price should be much lower...the investment to get that boat working again will be huge. IMHO, you could do much better with that sort of money, and get a boat that is (almost) ready to sail. There are so many old boats for sale, and the prices are low. Remember, the ones we see advertised are the overpriced ones that don't sell. The ones that sell go for prices so low the owners want to cry.

hamburking 20-10-2015 11:12

Re: Solid FG Hull Damage
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dschultz (Post 1941927)
That's the one. It started in June at 70. My offer of 25 was immediately rejected.

They might be kicking themselves now for turning you down...have you considered re-offering the same (or lower)?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.