Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Atlantic & the Caribbean (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Need suggestions for a bareboat destination (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/need-suggestions-for-a-bareboat-destination-153947.html)

SailSC 01-10-2015 19:11

Need suggestions for a bareboat destination

So it looks like I will be planning a one week bareboat charter trip with my wife, another couple and a few of our college age kids on spring break in April.

After past trips to the Abacos, BVI and Grenadines I would like to try someplace different.

We are looking for an even mix of bars/restaurants, good beaches and quiet harbors. Of course good sailing and diving conditions is a must and the water temperature needs to be reasonable in mid April.

Does anybody want to name their favorite Caribbean cruising area that is NOT the BVI or Grenadines?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

belizesailor 01-10-2015 19:19

Re: Need suggestions for a bareboat destination

Belize has world class diving, good sailing, and warm water year round. Most of the outer cayes are undeveloped so bar/resturant options are limited except in San Pedro/Caye Caulker/Placencia, but you can easily have picturesque anchorages, and even islands, all to yourself.

SailSC 01-10-2015 20:15

Thanks BelizeSailor! Belize is definitely on the list for consideration.

Hud3 02-10-2015 05:12

You might look into chartering in St Martin. It's easy to get there by air, which is a real consideration with only a week's vacation. You'll find some great restaurants in Grand Case, and snorkeling or diving nearby at Roche Creole. A day sail to Saba will get you some excellent diving opportunities. Stop in Ile Fourchue for an isolated anchorage with some hiking and snorkeling spots, then on to St Barths for something entirely different from your BVI and Grenadines experiences.

SailSC 02-10-2015 06:07

Thank you Hud3. It sounds like St. Martin is another good place to consider.

SaltyTanned 02-10-2015 08:37

Guadeloupe with les Saintes, Marie Galante or to the other side with Antigua Barbuda.

captmikem 02-10-2015 08:41

Tonga,
It is beautiful, islands are easy to sail in, navigation is easy, people are very friendly, and you meet lots of cruising folks. The locals will put on a pig roast (which is a feast), dance etc. Fantastic snorkeling, crystal clear water, no hassles. Only problem is you will want to stay.

Michael

Cheechako 02-10-2015 09:03

For an "even mix of bars, good restaurants " etc. You are going to have to stay to the more populated areas... BVI, ST Martin, etc.

Mithril Bham 02-10-2015 09:08

Love Guadeloupe. Want good food? Stay French. Remember conditions will not be as protected as BVI. Not cheap.

SailSC 02-10-2015 09:13

Tonga and the South Pacific is definitely on the bucket list but is too far for this trip. I'm in SC, USA. But thanks for the input!

SailSC 02-10-2015 09:18

So in Guadeloupe how is the language barrier for us mono language Americans? Our group loves good food!

Mithril Bham 02-10-2015 09:29

French is definitely the language in Guadeloupe but we had no problem speaking English only. Roads are great. Good produce since lots of water and farmland unlike most of the caribbean.

cp1 02-10-2015 09:33

Spanish Virgins, Puerto Rico. Sail Caribe.
They have everything you want and more.
Cheap flights to PR too.

Good luck.

Scot McPherson 02-10-2015 09:55

+ 1 for Belize, the blue holes are amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scot McPherson 02-10-2015 09:56

Also maybe Cuba will be accessible by then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk