Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing Systems and Fixtures (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   I guess you should be filtering your water even in "1st world" countries... (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/i-guess-you-should-be-filtering-your-water-even-in-1st-world-countries-150335.html)

zboss 30-07-2015 15:40

I guess you should be filtering your water even in "1st world" countries...

eeeeeewwwwwww..

Worms infest Houston suburb water supply - Houston Chronicle

JPA Cate 31-07-2015 02:03

Re: I guess you should be filtering your water even in "1st world" countries...

zboss,

Actually, no. I think you should be alert to what other cruisers tell you about water quality (although it may be wrong, too, 'cause it's an imperfect world.) We have used chlorine bleach to kill organisms that might be present, then filtered out the chlorine with charcoal filters, for years. Only time we every got belly bugs was from street vendors in Mexico. Been out here a long time. Actually, I think our bodies are well advised to keep up their antibodies, and thus, do not benefit from only drinking pure water; although I do endorse drinking rain water where we have been (the South Pacific. To me, it's like my immune system is my friend, and I need to keep it combat ready. YMMV)

kas_1611 31-07-2015 02:26

Any water that has been through that many kidneys has got to be pure :biggrin:

Tellie 31-07-2015 09:11

If most people really saw what was happening in their fresh water tanks they would realize their immune system is getting a proper work out.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators

Cheechako 31-07-2015 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tellie (Post 1880298)
If most people really saw what was happening in their fresh water tanks they would realize their immune system is getting a proper work out.

or in their local water systems........

a64pilot 31-07-2015 09:44

I've wondered if a UV light source in the fresh water tank would be worthwhile, or a waste of time? I have an aluminum tank, chlorine isn't a viable option for me.

Tellie 31-07-2015 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 1880330)
I've wondered if a UV light source in the fresh water tank would be worthwhile, or a waste of time? I have an aluminum tank, chlorine isn't a viable option for me.

I would always recommend some sort of water filtration after the water tank, especially it you are going to consume the water. I just don't see a lot of UV lights being used out there. It's easier to change out a filter/s and service them.

zboss 31-07-2015 18:55

BUT BUT....

WORMS! No frickin' thank you! :)

NoTies 31-07-2015 22:34

When I lived in the country it was common practice to put a live eel in the house water tank to eat the algae in the water. Regular check were made to make sure it was still in the land of the living.

roverhi 31-07-2015 22:34

What Anne says. Have been drinking boat tank water treated with chlorine and filtered by ordinary house filters with charcoal elements. Never a problem and cost is cheap.

In this day and age of instant news, too many people are turning into paranoids. All those crazy expensive water treatment systems only line the pockets of the people that push them.

kas_1611 01-08-2015 01:55

Worm in tequilla and everyone is like "cool"
Worms in tap water and everyone freaks out "yuck"

Probably taste like chicken soup if you boil it up :biggrin:

LEOCAT66 01-08-2015 03:14

We filter our water with a RV type filter from Wal Mart, $15.00, when filling our tanks. One of the tanks is a dedicated drinking water tank. Both are are fed to the pressure water pump. From one of the tanks, 50 gals., we have run a gravity fed separate line with a Sawyer Mini filter at the end with a shut off valve. From this line we fill two containers which we use for drinking, coffee, and pet water only. If we lose the pump we do not lose the drinking water.

The Sawyer filter is a bit slow, taking between 8 and 15 minutes to fill a 1.25 gal container. It can be back flushed and is said to be good for 100,000 gallons. The difference in the fill time on the containers seems directly related to the source of the water supply being filtered. On back flushing it is obvious that the Sawyer is working by what is ejected. Back flushing is simple and a pump for the purpose is supplied in the kit. Again Wal-Mart $19.00.

zboss 01-08-2015 12:14

This post was really meant to be satirical... didn't realize that it would garner so much attention! :)

With that said, we still filter all of our water going into the tanks, regardless of region. Here in Florida the coastal water - right out of the tap - tends to have a lot of sand, clay, and broken up shells in it.

Before we started filtering, we would end up with maybe one or two ounces of sand in the bottom of our tank every 6 to 8 months.