Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Splicing spectra (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f116/splicing-spectra-150100.html)

surfynic 27-07-2015 04:28

Splicing spectra

Hi guys and girls,

Does anyone out there have a guide to splice a hi tech rope like spectra?

Cheers,
Nic

thinwater 27-07-2015 04:50

Re: Splicing spectra

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfynic (Post 1877105)
Hi guys and girls,

Does anyone out there have a guide to splice a hi tech rope like spectra?

Cheers,
Nic

Go to the Samson Rope web site.

Roy M 27-07-2015 06:11

Lots of resources on YouTube.

Delancey 27-07-2015 06:18

Locked Brummel Splice easy peasy

Brummel | How to Make a Brummel Eye Splice | Splicing Knots

DefinitelyMe 27-07-2015 06:32

Do you mean spectra, or a spectra-cored double-braid? If the former, all you need to do is tuck the end into the middle. Otherwise, try this:

http://www.neropes.com/Resources/84906_NEROPE.pdf

surfynic 27-07-2015 08:10

yeah whats thrown us is the core within the core... Sorry were new to this! Have spliced heaps of normal double braid and expected this to be the same but as soon as we started to do it and noticed the second core things went downhill fast!

Ecos 27-07-2015 08:47

The cover may not do anything except protect the core. I have a bit of this stuff on the boat and the core does not go back inside. It just stops at the throat.

DefinitelyMe 28-07-2015 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfynic (Post 1877250)
yeah whats thrown us is the core within the core... Sorry were new to this! Have spliced heaps of normal double braid and expected this to be the same but as soon as we started to do it and noticed the second core things went downhill fast!

A core within a core? So there's a cover, then a core, then another core within that?................ No idea mate, sorry! I had a similar issue with one of my lines about a month ago. I gave up and did a seizing instead. I'll look forward to someone posting an answer though as i'd love to hear it myself!

surfynic 28-07-2015 17:54

It turns out its more like a second cover over the core (so a spectra core with 2 covers..) Still haven't managed to splice it lol

Stumble 28-07-2015 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfynic (Post 1878490)
It turns out its more like a second cover over the core (so a spectra core with 2 covers..) Still haven't managed to splice it lol

What line are you using? I don't know of any manufacturer that makes something like this.

surfynic 28-07-2015 20:08

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,
Heres a picture of the 3 parts to the rope. the blue is the outer core and the white bits are inside that. see how the core has a cover?

Stumble 28-07-2015 20:50

I have no idea what that may be. Do you have a name for it? Or a manufacturer?

Ecos 28-07-2015 21:24

I don't think that is a nautical rope. Maybe something for climbing trees or washing windows. Nautical line is usually much more flashy.

david samuelson 29-07-2015 03:11

A few years back rope makers were putting a gauze-type braid between cover and core on Spectra-cored line; it was very fine, not even worthy of being called a cover or core. It was there to help prevent the core slipping when a clutch was holding the cover - this was in the days when slippage was a real problem, now resolved in another way. Spectra is real slippery stuff. I know for sure that Donaghys (Australia and New Zealand) did that about 10 years ago so that is probably what you've got. It was sold as Spectraspeed in solid colours with a black fleck. FYI Donaghys (Southern Ocean) make some of the best lines in the southern hemisphere.
When you want to splice just cut this intermediate gauze out of the way; it is not necessary in the part you will be splicing.
Good luck
David