Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Provisioning: Food & Drink (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f91/)
-   -   Stainless Steel Tea Kettle (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f91/stainless-steel-tea-kettle-147653.html)

sophiedaisey 09-06-2015 09:21

Stainless Steel Tea Kettle

I am looking for a good quality stainless steel tea kettle for boiling water. Have tried inexpensive ones and they'll just start to rust after a while. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum M. Gray Pacific Seacraft 31

Cheechako 09-06-2015 09:25

Re: Stainless Steel Tea Kettle

I vote for the regular old Revereware one with the integral flip open cap. Bulletproof. Be sure it's actual Revere brand.
http://www.wayfair.com/Revere-Cookwa...9V4xoCKU7w_wcB

jaybird1111 09-06-2015 10:47

I dunno... I bought mine at an Asian/Viet grocery store, and it's pretty dern sturdy.

MarkSF 09-06-2015 11:00

I've got an inexpensive enameled one. No rust so far!

hellosailor 09-06-2015 11:45

You might check out some thrift stores. Old kettles sell cheap, and there are lots of well-made s/s kettle that have been around forever, eventually passing through the thrift stores. The advantage to an OLD kettle is usually better metal, and if it hasn't rusted yet, it isn't likely to.

JPA Cate 09-06-2015 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 1844398)
You might check out some thrift stores. Old kettles sell cheap, and there are lots of well-made s/s kettle that have been around forever, eventually passing through the thrift stores. The advantage to an OLD kettle is usually better metal, and if it hasn't rusted yet, it isn't likely to.

That's an interesting point you make, HS. I bought mine for $20 at a second hand boat bits place here in Oz. It is s/s, with a s/s-clad aluminum bottom. It's brushed s/s. I had to fix the axle for the spout so it wouldn't fling itself closed whilst pouring, but I am quite content with it, and since a new one is about $200 here, I think it was a bargain.

Ann

Cheechako 09-06-2015 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheechako (Post 1844309)
I vote for the regular old Revereware one with the integral flip open cap. Bulletproof. Be sure it's actual Revere brand.
Revere Cookware 2.33-qt. Whistling Tea Kettle | Wayfair

$20-$25 new. Had mine thru 3 liveaboards and still have it at home. Mine has Paul Revere embossed on the side.

Tom and Maje 09-06-2015 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheechako (Post 1844309)
Revere Cookware 2.33-qt. Whistling Tea Kettle | Wayfair

Me too.

Maje

Island Time O25 09-06-2015 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 1844398)

I second that. Not only did I get mine there, going on 5 seasons now but I also got a few ss pots and frying pans with really heavy bottoms, the ones that keep the heat real well. One can always find a well made older ss kitchenware at thrift stores for well under $10 a piece. Same make new ones and with inferior metal are well over $100. One great bargain which still eludes me would be a 6-8qt ss pressure cooker as well made ones (Swiss) sell for $200 and up new. I did score a 4qt one at WM of all places for mere $25 when it was on some kind of end of the season 70-80% off sale.

muttskie 09-06-2015 16:46

This is what I bought. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00

TrinitySeas 10-06-2015 08:06

As a person prone to distraction, I sure do appreciate my whistling teakettle.

Roy M 10-06-2015 08:35

1 Attachment(s)
I'm still looking for a Broadwater Kettle, if any of you Ozzies or Kiwis have a mind to part with yours........

letoile 10-06-2015 12:57

We have had the Lagostina model for 5 years and love it. The base fits securely in the stove potholders because of the flaring tapered base of the kettle. It stays on the stove even when other straight sided pots want to abandon ship. Ours whistles and boils quickly. We love it and have had great success despite other reviews. It won't whistle if you over fill it.

Canadian Tire - Lagostina Stainless Steel Lock-Open Spout Kettle, 2.3-qt customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings

zengirl 10-06-2015 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate (Post 1844538)
That's an interesting point you make, HS. I bought mine for $20 at a second hand boat bits place here in Oz. It is s/s, with a s/s-clad aluminum bottom. It's brushed s/s. I had to fix the axle for the spout so it wouldn't fling itself closed whilst pouring, but I am quite content with it, and since a new one is about $200 here, I think it was a bargain.

Ann

$200 bucks for a tea kettle!! Maybe I'll buy a ton of second hand ones in the USA and sell them where you are!! haha That is outrageous! Glad you found that bargain. :biggrin:

Ozwizz54 10-06-2015 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy M (Post 1845085)
I'm still looking for a Broadwater Kettle, if any of you Ozzies or Kiwis have a mind to part with yours........

Just a tiny correction, Roy. People from Oz are "Aussies". :thumb:

And. no, I'm not planning a parting with my Broadwater. Love it

David