Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Marinas (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f60/)
-   -   Moorings, Sydney, Australia - and haul outs (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f60/moorings-sydney-australia-and-haul-outs-142938.html)

impi 16-03-2015 06:41

Moorings, Sydney, Australia - and haul outs

Hi sailing buddies out there ...

We have decided to head for Sydney, Australia later this year. Our son is to married in South Africa and we are looking for some options to keep Impi at a mooring and have someone / Marina keep and eye on things for us. Please would you give us some tips / hints along these lines ...

MarkJ 16-03-2015 10:48

Re: Moorings, Sydney, Australia - and haul outs

Sydney isnt cheap.

I was quoted $2,000 per monet for a marina a few miles west of the Gladesvlle Bridge :(
Moorings maybe cheaper.
Hauling would be expensive. Maybe Pittwater?

JPA Cate 16-03-2015 14:29

Impi,

We knew a guy with a catamaran (55 ft.), who was quoted $1200/wk in Sydney with no one to check on the boat during his absence, and that was about 5 yrs. ago.

Costs will be somewhat less if Brisbane would work for you, Moreton Bay Trailer Boat Club had a number of vacant pens you might hire.

Prince of Wales Marina in Tasmania (Hobart area) might be able to accommodate you, and will be the least expensive. It is a new marina, it is a bit isolated. We left our boat there for 7 months, once, with a friend to look after it. The marina manager is a nice bloke, and helpful.
Likely, you would fly out of Hobart to Melbourne or Sydney to catch your flight to SA.

You might check with New Zealand as well, it's a beautiful country, and they care about boats there.

Ann

S/V Willow 16-03-2015 14:34

Try Cammeray Marina in middle harbour. They have moorings and they are better priced than most of Sydney. Beautiful place and there is buses right at the top of the stairs.

44'cruisingcat 16-03-2015 14:45

We've heard good things about Cammeray marina's mooring prices too.

Another possible cheaper option, but not far from Sydney, would be Lake Macquarie.

Probably the best option would be to go to the Boatworks at the Gold Coast. They do hardstand storage for cat's at very good rates. Friends with a 44 foot cat are paying something like $600/month.

Excellent haulout prices and fantastic facilities too.

Long way from Sydney, but quick by plane.

44'cruisingcat 18-03-2015 01:29

Was told today the cost for a 44 foot cat was less than $400/ month for dry storage at the Boatworks.

arsenelupiga 18-03-2015 02:17

1 Attachment(s)
try sailcorp mooring. boat will get premium views & free front row fireworks display. I am sure they will look after it as well for some extra fee.

hoppy 18-03-2015 02:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJ (Post 1776215)
I was quoted $2,000 per monet

$2000 per Monet is a bargain, even just a signed letter can be $6000 :D

ozskipper 18-03-2015 03:58

Visit Sydney and enjoy sailing Sydney Harbour for a while, then mover the boat up to Pittwater/Hawkesbury/Gosford.
Commercial moorings around the Gosford (Booker Bay) area are much cheaper and its a more peaceful sailing area with the national park only a a couple of miles away.

JPA Cate 18-03-2015 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozskipper (Post 1777651)
Visit Sydney and enjoy sailing Sydney Harbour for a while, then mover the boat up to Pittwater/Hawkesbury/Gosford.
Commercial moorings around the Gosford (Booker Bay) area are much cheaper and its a more peaceful sailing area with the national park only a a couple of miles away.

That's a really good idea ozskipper! Our boat draws 2.2 m., and Gosford's not on our go to list, but for a cat, could turn out to me an excellent solution for impi.

Ann

Wanderlust 18-03-2015 23:53

I know it's not the place for storage of a boat, but on the subject of Gosford, you can berth at the council owned visitor's wharf for $25 a night. This includes power and water, with public toilets across the road (no showers).

It gets a bit of traffic noise, but it's a short walk to the trains and maybe 15 minutes to the supermarkets. Clearance under the Rip Bridge is 17.4M at HWS which means I can't get there anymore. My 1.6M draft mono had no trouble in the channels at any tide, so 2.2M should be OK at high tide, but not sure.

Contact Marine Rescue Central Coast as they handle the bookings.

44'cruisingcat 19-03-2015 14:19

The rip bridge is likely to be a problem for a 44' cat.

sapient sue 19-03-2015 15:13

For moorings in Pittwater

- try Col Beashels Tel:02 9999 2322 in Elvina Bay inside Scotland Island. They have a courtesy shuttle and we have used the service many times. Close to Church Point and bus service to the airport.

Cheers Sue :thumb:

ozskipper 19-03-2015 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat (Post 1778930)
The rip bridge is likely to be a problem for a 44' cat.

Good point. Booker Bay or Hardys bay may be better than Gosford. Unless one likes the sound of breaking aluminium that is. Personally, I am not a fan.

Alan Mighty 21-03-2015 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoppy (Post 1777625)
$2000 per Monet is a bargain, even just a signed letter can be $6000 :D

Nice! Well spotted, hoppy.

Latest news doesn't look good for moorings in the future, see: Sydney Harbour boat moorings are impacting sea floor marine life: researchers - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)