Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Multihull Sailboats (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   That will be $300k, please (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/that-will-be-300k-please-142527.html)

Four Coconuts 08-03-2015 18:20

That will be $300k, please

Sitting here sipping a little rum off St. John, reflecting back on all the fantastic cruisers I've met this past year and considering something that was said to me prior to the purchase of our boat. A prominent broker had said I wouldn't find a cruising catamaran, over 42ft, ready to go, for less than $300k. However, perusing through yachtworld.com there were many cats that suggested they were "cruise ready" for $50-$75k less than that. Who was right? Was the broker just trying to get me to spend more? I now believe he was absolutely right. Maybe even a bit low. What say you?

scuba0_1 08-03-2015 18:31

Re: That will be $300k, please

I think he's a broker trying to sell other people's boats

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Ex-Calif 08-03-2015 20:32

What does "cruise ready" mean?

And over 42 feet I might agree. But then I'd ask what year?

Four Coconuts 09-03-2015 04:46

Regarding "Cruise ready" catamarans in this price range are +\- 15 years old. A boat this old typically needs a large refit...baggy sails, standing rigging, Thruhull, rebuild heads, Engines with a ton of hours, blocks, running rigging. Hatches that need rebedding. A bottom job. Old Electronics, no radar or AIS on many boats. Power generation- genset, solar, wind,...The list goes on. I guess a good definition of cruise ready to me means is the boat ready to go out for 2 years as it is.

Ex-Calif 09-03-2015 04:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Four Coconuts (Post 1769670)
Regarding "Cruise ready" catamarans in this price range are +\- 15 years old. A boat this old typically needs a large refit...baggy sails, standing rigging, Thruhull, rebuild heads, Engines with a ton of hours, blocks, running rigging. Hatches that need rebedding. A bottom job. Old Electronics, no radar or AIS on many boats. Power generation- genset, solar, wind,...The list goes on. I guess a good definition of cruise ready to me means is the boat ready to go out for 2 years as it is.

For me it's "The major systems that keep the water on the outside and the air on this inside do not need major repair until next "planned" repair cycle.

I know it sounds ambiguous but fundamentally.

Rig & sails - 10 years
Engine & drive - 10 years
Batteries - 5 years

So if these things have life left - I'd go. If the rig is 8 years old I'd expect to be hauling out and overhauling the rig in 2 years.

Every other system on the boat is repairable "out there" or not essential.

I understand the Bristol boys but to me that's like buying an "acceptable" house and replacing the central air and heat, putting on a new roof, ripping out the lawn and reseeding, replacing the back deck, changing the carpet, installing new windows - before you move in.

Sure you won't have to mess with those things for 10-20 years but I might be dead tomorrow and I just dumped $100k into a $400k house that will still be worth $400k next week.

boatman61 09-03-2015 05:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex-Calif (Post 1769452)
What does "cruise ready" mean?

European Cruise Ready...??
or American Cruise Ready.....???
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ex-Calif 09-03-2015 05:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1769714)
European Cruise Ready...??
or American Cruise Ready.....???
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Or delivery cruise ready.

Engine? - Nope
Lights? Nope
Sails? - one
Leaks - a few

Need it in cape town by Thursday.

boatman61 09-03-2015 06:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex-Calif (Post 1769732)
Or delivery cruise ready.

Engine? - Nope
Can do..:thumb:
Lights? Nope
No sweat..:wink:
Sails? - one
Genoa..? Brilliant..:smitten:
Leaks - a few
Thats normal.. else you'd be taking it..:biggrin:

Need it in cape town by Thursday.

1st Thursday in Feb '16..?? Loadsa time.. You meeting the boat..??

weavis 09-03-2015 06:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman61 (Post 1769749)
1st Thursday in Feb '16..?? Loadsa time.. You meeting the boat..??

I have a spare 3.5hp outboard you can borrow.......:thumb:

travellerw 09-03-2015 07:22

I will point you to Catmorron's website... I would call his Cat "Cruise Ready" for close to 1/2 of the quoted 300K. Its definately an older Cat, but still in good shape.

Catchin' Rays

FollowingCs 09-03-2015 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by travellerw (Post 1769782)
I will point you to Catmorron's website... I would call his Cat "Cruise Ready" for close to 1/2 of the quoted 300K. Its definately an older Cat, but still in good shape.

Catchin' Rays

But Catchin Rays put alot of work into that boat. Great videos, but alot of work. Not sure how much time he and his family spent in the boat yard.

I'm also looking at a 'cruise ready' cat, and it will be in the $300k range. But sails and rigging replaced in 2011, radar and navs replaced/upgraded in 2013 with many other items replaced or upgraded recently also. I haven't found a cat my wife would move on to for less than $300k ... yet ... but not alot of in-person looking.

~ Following Cs ~

a64pilot 09-03-2015 07:37

A problem is that cruise ready is about as defined a term as bluewater. Many wouldn't even consider cruising without a generator and a watermaker, or satellite TV.
Some cruise and never considered all that stuff.

boatman61 09-03-2015 07:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 1769800)
A problem is that cruise ready is about as defined a term as bluewater. Many wouldn't even consider cruising without a generator and a watermaker, or satellite TV.
Some cruise and never considered all that stuff.

Exactimo..!!
Hence my earlier question.. its a cultural thing.

Cadence 09-03-2015 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Four Coconuts (Post 1769374)
Sitting here sipping a little rum off St. John, reflecting back on all the fantastic cruisers I've met this past year and considering something that was said to me prior to the purchase of our boat. A prominent broker had said I wouldn't find a cruising catamaran, over 42ft, ready to go, for less than $300k. However, perusing through yachtworld.com there were many cats that suggested they were "cruise ready" for $50-$75k less than that. Who was right? Was the broker just trying to get me to spend more? I now believe he was absolutely right. Maybe even a bit low. What say you?

Probably comes down to what is cruise ready?:confused:

weavis 09-03-2015 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by FollowingCs (Post 1769791)
But Catchin Rays put alot of work into that boat. Great videos, but alot of work. Not sure how much time he and his family spent in the boat yard.

I'm also looking at a 'cruise ready' cat, and it will be in the $300k range. But sails and rigging replaced in 2011, radar and navs replaced/upgraded in 2013 with many other items replaced or upgraded recently also. I haven't found a cat my wife would move on to for less than $300k ... yet ... but not alot of in-person looking.

~ Following Cs ~

For me, the criteria is Hull/keel soundness, Sails Rigging, engines, batteries and tanks.
I have a sub list then another sub list after that.

Essentials do not include washing machine, dryer, Water Maker and the latest electronics.

If I went out today (Yes I know where to look:whistling:) I could get a cruise ready Cat for 170K Sterling Max. (A choice of a few different makes.)

But then Im also pretty sure something would break immediately.. :thumb:

And to be fair, I would be looking at 110K Sterling max for my self.
32-40foot.