Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Voltage to Set Wind Generator (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f14/voltage-to-set-wind-generator-141584.html)

zboss 20-02-2015 13:02

Voltage to Set Wind Generator

In general, about what voltage do you set your wind generator to turn off?

SV THIRD DAY 20-02-2015 13:25

Re: Voltage to Set Wind Generator

One answer doesn't work and can be misleading because it matters what type of batteries you have. For example on Lead Acid, I would use 14.8v. But on my LiFePO4 batteries I set the cut off on my KISS/Controller set-up at 13.8v.

zboss 20-02-2015 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY (Post 1754959)
One answer doesn't work and can be misleading because it matters what type of batteries you have. For example on Lead Acid, I would use 14.8v. But on my LiFePO4 batteries I set the cut off on my KISS/Controller set-up at 13.8v.

For this pole let assume either AGM or Flooded batteries.

So, you set yours to absorption then?

SV THIRD DAY 20-02-2015 13:47

LiFePO4 batteries don't do the different stages of charge, so I just set the 13.8v....but lets not confuze that because it's like comparing apples to oranges with respect to charging.

But lets back up a bit.
What would make the wind generator cut out set-point any different from your solar, battery charger, or alternator? I would recommend setting up your wind generator controller with the same mindset you would for your other charging devices and inline with the battery manufactures recommendation.

For my T-105's I used 14.8v as the wind gen cut out....and in reality how much did that happen? Only when I was on a long motor with the alternator running otherwise my batteries are almost always begging for power. In a way, it's the mindset of the KISS wind generator that just comes as standard with a manual on/off switch without charge control. Sure you can add a controller, and as the owner of KISS, well I added one to be able to gain the real life experience with it, but the control aspect usually just "sits there" mocking me for the money I spent on it...even at my costs its still money and I'm still cheap!...ha ha ha

zboss 20-02-2015 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY (Post 1754987)
LiFePO4 batteries don't do the different stages of charge, so I just set the 13.8v....but lets not confuze that because it's like comparing apples to oranges with respect to charging.

But lets back up a bit.
What would make the wind generator cut out set-point any different from your solar, battery charger, or alternator? I would recommend setting up your wind generator controller with the same mindset you would for your other charging devices and inline with the battery manufactures recommendation.

For my T-105's I used 14.8v as the wind gen cut out....and in reality how much did that happen? Only when I was on a long motor with the alternator running otherwise my batteries are almost always begging for power. In a way, it's the mindset of the KISS wind generator that just comes as standard with a manual on/off switch without charge control. Sure you can add a controller, and as the owner of KISS, well I added one to be able to gain the real life experience with it, but the control aspect usually just "sits there" mocking me for the money I spent on it...even at my costs its still money and I'm still cheap!...ha ha ha

My wind generator controller is a PWM with one set point. Its not a three stage controller. Its on until the voltage exceeds x and then its off.

I get to 100% charge (14.8) on my batteries almost every day - this morning I was there by 11 AM but somedays its not until 4. Only on overcast days do I ever NOT reach 100% charge. So, at least 3 to 5 times a week I get there just on solar and wind. We sat at anchor last year for 6 months over hurricane season and only started the genny maybe twice to charge.

Northernlights 21-02-2015 06:01

Northerli

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

conachair 21-02-2015 06:52

I go for absorption.

What's bulk charge voltage anyway? Isn't that constant current? Or as much current as there is available before it reached absorption voltage?