Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Engines and Propulsion Systems (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/)
-   -   Replacing Mechanical Lift Pump (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f54/replacing-mechanical-lift-pump-140535.html)

CS Cruiser 31-01-2015 09:18

Replacing Mechanical Lift Pump

Contemplating replacing my mechanical lift pump on my Westerbeke W30 with an electric pump, want to add a RACOR 500 this spring and unsure if this will "be putting a strain on the existing mechanical lift pump"
Can't seem to find the psi spec for the old mechanical pump, does anyone know? And if I were to replace with an electric pump does anyone know what psi range I should be looking at? Don't want to have to install a regulator of any type.

gjordan 31-01-2015 10:40

Re: Replacing Mechanical Lift Pump

I have replaced lift pumps with electrics, on 2 different Perkins Diesels that I have owned. I simply went to Napa Auto and bought their 12 volt fuel pump, and the needed fittings. I understand that the typical Napa fuel pump is about 6 PSI, and that has worked great for me for many years. My Perkins 4-236 that is in a tractor, actually works fine from just the gravity of the tank being a foot or so above the engine. That cant be more than 1/2 PSI going into the injection pump, but it works fine. I dont recall which brand of injection pump is on my Perkins, so different brands may need more pressure. A quick call to your Westerbeke dealer should get you an answer on what input pressure is called for , to your injection pump . Good Luck, Grant.

CS Cruiser 31-01-2015 10:45

Appreciate input, thanks Grant

Stu Jackson 31-01-2015 10:49

Good advice there.

Here's some more:

FLIX!!! of NAPA Fuel Pump #610-1051

You could also get in touch with Maine Sail, he has the same boat you do. I'd bet he'd give you the model # and a place to get it for a good price.

CS Cruiser 31-01-2015 10:58

Thanks Stu, Although Maine has replaced his Westerbeke over the years, and I believe his new W44 and original W33 likeley had an original electric lift from the factory. (mine is a W30) factory mechanical lift, hope he will chime in cause I'm sure value his opinion...

Compass790 01-02-2015 13:25

I made a temporary replacement with a 3-5 psi electronic cheap chinese pump that seemed to work fine on my Yanmar YSM8 in terms of pressure & flow which has a Bosch PFR type injection pump that can be gravity fed. These pumps cost $12.50 each on Aliexpress but not sure if I would rely on them. They look the same as facet pumps but?? One was DOA & I keep the other for a spare as Yanmar wont sell you a diaphragm for the mechanical pump but it's only $350!!!!! for a new pump. Plenty of elctric pumps on Ebay. Just one question, why do you want to replace your mechanical pump if it's working ok?

Stu Jackson 01-02-2015 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compass790 (Post 1738684)
Just one question, why do you want to replace your mechanical pump if it's working ok?

Good question. Maybe I misread it, thought he was just adding an electric lift pump. I wouldn't remove the mech either.

CS Cruiser 01-02-2015 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compass790 (Post 1738684)
I made a temporary replacement with a 3-5 psi electronic cheap chinese pump that seemed to work fine on my Yanmar YSM8 in terms of pressure & flow which has a Bosch PFR type injection pump that can be gravity fed. These pumps cost $12.50 each on Aliexpress but not sure if I would rely on them. They look the same as facet pumps but?? One was DOA & I keep the other for a spare as Yanmar wont sell you a diaphragm for the mechanical pump but it's only $350!!!!! for a new pump. Plenty of elctric pumps on Ebay. Just one question, why do you want to replace your mechanical pump if it's working ok?

Compass790

I'm just contemplating and looking for feed back, my mechanical lift is working fine and I've since learned it is 4 to 7 psi so perhaps I can still incorporate a RACOR 500 ahead of it next to fuel tank and keep.the mechanical lift.
Just like to hear what has worked for others, also like the idea of the electrical pump assisting with bleeding when necessary etc.....

Seems like most newer diesels are using electrical pumps although I'm no expert.

CS Cruiser 01-02-2015 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Jackson (Post 1738692)
Good question. Maybe I misread it, thought he was just adding an electric lift pump. I wouldn't remove the mech either.

Stu, I've since learned my mechanical lift is rated 4 to 7psi, as I didn't previously know its pressure I was hesitant on adding a RACOR 500 in line, didn't want to bog things down so to speak.
With the psi known I will likely just add the RACOR along with a drag needle guage and keep an eye on things.
But I won't have the benefit of easier bleeding procedure. Is there an alternate modification I could incorporate for this?

sanibel sailor 02-02-2015 19:34

1 Attachment(s)
As I mentioned before in a PM, I use the old Walbro bellows pump. I got started with these when my prior boat came equipped with one.

My current W30 had a mechanical pump, took one bleeding session for me to ditch it. The Walbro is now discontinued, but they are readily available used, and the bellows are still sold to rebuild them which is quick and easy. I keep a spare aboard, just in case.

I have it rigged thru a ON/OFF/IGNITION switch, so it runs automatically with, or independent of, the key switch.

I also moved the dipstick to an accessible location.

sanibel sailor 02-02-2015 19:36

1 Attachment(s)
Switch with clean Racor

sanibel sailor 02-02-2015 19:40

1 Attachment(s)
And I got rid of the mechanical pump and made a block off plate from 3/16" brass. I know you can just leave it and run the fuel thru, but I was concerned a bad diaphragm would dump fuel into the crankcase.

Picture in upside down...

sanibel sailor 02-02-2015 19:46

1 Attachment(s)
I got the pump parts from Auto Performance Engineering. They have bunches of different pumps. Sounds like a one man shop. A call there might get you a lot of info.

Auto Performance Engineering - Walbro Bellows Fuel Pumps

Last picture is my relocated dipstick and remuddled engine harness sans "trailer connector" and circuit breakers.

CS Cruiser 03-02-2015 11:05

Thanks for the info John.

Compass790 04-02-2015 03:48

Yea electrical pumps are great for bleeding. I'm going to put a Y or t-connector in to run the electric pump in parallel with a manual switch so it's an emergency backup or for bleeding. Wont be running it simultaneously with the mechanical tho, understand the worry re oil dilution. I wouldnt worry about the pump if it's working fine, who cares if the modern way is electronic if the mech way is working ? I can understand if it's an EFI issue that technology improves but a delivery pump is not so critical. Be happy