Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Beginners (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/beginners-138162.html)

mattnone 16-12-2014 14:00

Beginners

Can any one tell me what to expect in the hole sailing life.

Hudson Force 16-12-2014 14:34

Re: Beginners

Hole sailing? Some say boating is like dumping your money into a hole in the water. Some say living inside the boat is like being in a dark hole.

Looking at it as a whole, it can be a wholesom life!

I could do better with a more specific question. 'maybe not the hole thing.

La Porte Rouge 16-12-2014 15:22

Good question. And in my experience, its either something that you love or you don't. Personally, I love sailing, and its hard for me to understand that other people don't feel the same way. But that's the way it is. My suggestion would be to try it and see how you like it. It ain't for the faint of heart, but if you get a thrill out of moving across the water with nothing but the power of the wind, and enjoy the smooth and easy feel of a boat without a 500hp motor, then maybe its something you'll like. My only suggestion is to try it and find out.

GordMay 17-12-2014 04:23

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mattnone.

zeehag 17-12-2014 05:58

welcome.
never sailed in a hole, so i wouldnt know, sorry.
splainin the whole sailing life??? many aspects. too many for one thread.
have fun

wristwister 17-12-2014 08:53

Stand under a cold shower while setting $100 bills on fire. That should give you an idea of what it's all about.

ranger42c 17-12-2014 08:58

Lots of maintenance.

-Chris

jwing 17-12-2014 09:40

Do you mean hole surfing? It's a kayaking thing. The trick is to balance the opposing forces of flowing water friction in three dimensions, gravity, and buoyancy. Its a lot of fun as well as high potential for injury if you are in a hole that you can manage; a deathtrap in a hole you can't manage. The lifestyle is traveling to holes that you can manage. They change when the flow rate changes. As your skill progresses, you seek out bigger holes, often leading you to international travel. Lots of camping in river canyons. It's a fabulous lifestyle if you can afford it and stay healthy.

PappiRoy 18-12-2014 14:08

Give it a try. Sure beats working. Though come to think of it I still work.........and hard, at maintenance. But somehow happier!!!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

hyperfine 18-12-2014 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by wristwister (Post 1701897)
Stand under a cold shower while setting $100 bills on fire. That should give you an idea of what it's all about.

Yep. I have always loved drinking beer in the shower, throwing money into a shredder, and being stuck in a desolate place with no means to escape. Sailing combines these three favorite hobbies.

CS Cruiser 18-12-2014 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by wristwister (Post 1701897)

LMFAO:smile:

CS Cruiser 18-12-2014 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperfine (Post 1702904)
Yep. I have always loved drinking beer in the shower, throwing money into a shredder, and being stuck in a desolate place with no means to escape. Sailing combines these three favorite hobbies.

You're are ready, go,for it!

zeehag 19-12-2014 06:34

no one has yet said you will die....let me be the first.
you will die.
but then we are all dying slowly, and life is a terminal disease.
learn to sail.
play in small boats or large ones with adult stuporvision
find friends who know how to sail and donot mind taking students out sailing.
many ways to learn.
once you learn to sail, then the rest is a lot easier and knowledge grows.
you may even learn what to ask for the next thread you wish to start....
good luck and have fun.

mattnone 19-12-2014 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Porte Rouge (Post 1701332)
Good question. And in my experience, its either something that you love or you don't. Personally, I love sailing, and its hard for me to understand that other people don't feel the same way. But that's the way it is. My suggestion would be to try it and see how you like it. It ain't for the faint of heart, but if you get a thrill out of moving across the water with nothing but the power of the wind, and enjoy the smooth and easy feel of a boat without a 500hp motor, then maybe its something you'll like. My only suggestion is to try it and find out.

Well to tell the truth I have been an over the road truck driver in the States for over 20 years. I feel it's time to try something new but don't know where to start.

mattnone 19-12-2014 06:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeehag (Post 1703256)
no one has yet said you will die....let me be the first.
you will die.
but then we are all dying slowly, and life is a terminal disease.
learn to sail.
play in small boats or large ones with adult stuporvision
find friends who know how to sail and donot mind taking students out sailing.
many ways to learn.
once you learn to sail, then the rest is a lot easier and knowledge grows.
you may even learn what to ask for the next thread you wish to start....
good luck and have fun.

LOL love it and I would like to thank everyone that has commented.