Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Cruising News & Events (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   Huge Cocaine haul off sailing boat! (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f106/huge-cocaine-haul-off-sailing-boat-135459.html)

MarkJ 29-10-2014 06:47

Huge Cocaine haul off sailing boat!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...n-cocaine-haul

Being an anti druggist this stuff is great :smile:

HappyMdRSailor 29-10-2014 06:55

Re: Huge Cocaine haul off sailing boat!

The more this is a deterrent.... The less our cruising hassles are... :thumb:

GordMay 29-10-2014 07:15

Interesting!

The counter-narcotics work, which is HMS Argyll’s second drugs seizure after a $35 million seizure in August, is part of Operation Martillo.

Launched in January 2012, Operation MARTILLO is a multinational, joint, combined and interagency effort by the nations of the Western Hemisphere and Europe to prevent illicit trafficking in the Caribbean basin, the eastern Pacific Ocean, and the coastal waters of Central America.

The United States takes the lead in Operation MARTILLO with a substantial interagency task force made up from its front-line federal departments, most notably Homeland Security (represented mainly by the U.S. Coast Guard), Treasury, State and Justice, as well as Defense.

As of 2012, 14 countries were participating: Belize, Canada, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, France, Guatemala, Honduras, the Netherlands, Nicaragua, Panama, Spain, United Kingdom, and the United States. Chile had also contributed to the operation.

Pages - Operation Martillo

Drug Wars Episode 1: Inside Operation Martillo -- Fusion

Cotemar 29-10-2014 07:23

Its all in a hard days work for those guys. Glad to see its working.

Sand crab 29-10-2014 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJ (Post 1665505)

What's an anti druggist? :confused:

a64pilot 29-10-2014 07:39

Makes one wonder how they knew, I guess an informant.
International waters? Do they have authority if it was?

MarkJ 29-10-2014 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sand crab (Post 1665542)
What's an anti druggist? :confused:

A person who does not agree that drugs are not harmful and that drugs should be legalised.

I disagree with the argument "there so much cocaine out there we may as well legalise it"

MarkSF 29-10-2014 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 1665546)

A type 23 frigate has authority wherever it likes.

Nice looking sailboat. What a shame to see it used in such a way.

a64pilot 29-10-2014 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 1665590)

No, seriously, what are the limits on search? Can any authority show up and tear into your boat, legally? There has to be some form of international law?

Sand crab 29-10-2014 09:44

The vessel is bound to the laws of what nations flag it flies. So the CG simply gets permission to board the vessel from that country.
Can the Coast Guard Seize a Vessel in International Waters?

Dsanduril 29-10-2014 09:48

+1. Your vessel is bound by the laws of the flag it flies. The USCG can board any American flagged vessel anywhere in the world for, at a minimum, a "safety inspection".

In this case it appears the boat is flying a British ensign (or maybe some Commonwealth version thereof) and the frigate was British with a USCG detachment and the agreement already in place between those two countries, so either could board the boat.

ontherocks83 29-10-2014 09:50

Good show! Glad to see that kind of take down and result:thumb:.

Definitely am curious though how they knew to search that particular boat.

Dsanduril 29-10-2014 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ontherocks83 (Post 1665611)
Definitely am curious though how they knew to search that particular boat.

Having been boarded more times than I can count (at one point we were wallpapering the head with our copies of the boarding reports) I would guess from talking with them that about 50% is informant, and the other 50% is "out of pattern". Most sailing cruisers move in herds (I know, we all think we're independent and different :)) - generally weather/season related migrations. I can vouch from experience that any boats moving outside that pattern are much more likely to get boarded.

Blue Stocking 29-10-2014 10:18

HMS Argyll was on her way back south after helping us clean up after Cat 3 Gonzalo gave us a good pasting. We had Fay go Cat 1 right over us 6 days before Gonzalo. so Island was a mess.

Sand crab 29-10-2014 10:19

All the countries like to boast of hauls in big financial numbers which means they figure it out as a price per gram for coke. I Googled the price in the UK and they say it's around 40 Pounds. So that's 250,000 grams or about 250 KG or about 551 lbs. However the price in South America is closer to 2500 Pounds a kilo which means there was actually only 625,000 Pounds Sterling worth of blow on the boat.
10,000,000 sounds much better. :thumb:

ontherocks83 29-10-2014 10:44

Hope they didn't just dump it over board. Would definitely be some agitated neurotic fish swimming around with a nervous twitch:biggrin:

avb3 29-10-2014 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJ (Post 1665553)
A person who does not agree that drugs are not harmful and that drugs should be legalised.

I disagree with the argument "there so much cocaine out there we may as well legalise it"

Addictive drugs are extremely harmful (as are many of the 'designer' ones). That being said, Portugal decriminalized personal use possession amounts on everything, and rather than spending $$$ on policing illegal drugs, they are spending them on treating the addicts.

A good article in Der Spiegle (in English) on this.

'This Is Working': 'Drug Users Aren't Criminals, They're Sick' - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Perhaps the so called war on drugs would be better served on helping the addicted. Large scale smuggling obviously should still be targeted for interdiction.

Snore 29-10-2014 11:15

Was there someone doing a delivery in that area????

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

nigel1 29-10-2014 11:21

Seems to becoming popular all this drug running in yachts.
Another one was intercepted a few weeks ago by the Irish Navy.

Pensioner skippered yacht seized by Irish Navy 'with £100m cocaine haul' | Daily Mail Online

Sand crab 29-10-2014 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigel1 (Post 1665682)
Seems to becoming popular all this drug running in yachts.
Another one was intercepted a few weeks ago by the Irish Navy.

Pensioner skippered yacht seized by Irish Navy 'with £100m cocaine haul' | Daily Mail Online

I like the math. This "1 tonne haul is worth 100,000,000" so the first boat must have had only 100 kg. I'm sorry my math was so far off in my other post.
But wait that would mean that a gram of blow is 80 Pounds so all the street dealers are losing big time by only charging 40. :devil:

FSMike 29-10-2014 18:06

So an anti-druggist" is:

Quote:

----

I'm glad to see that you have no problems with alcohol, nicotine, caffeine, etc.
Which drugs should be legalized seems to be an individual decision.

Turnone 29-10-2014 18:20

Cocaine is one of the least harmful drugs to people and to societies but don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

Drug busts high dollar estimates are like measuring forest fires in number of lost tooth pics.

I'm not advocating drug running as I believe it should ship on normal
Cargo ships like everything else. Regulated, taxed, etc.

IslandHopper 29-10-2014 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJ (Post 1665505)

Quote:

:nonono:

Quote:

Pharmacists, also known as chemists (Commonwealth English) or druggists (both North American and Commonwealth English), are healthcare professionals who practice in pharmacy, the field of health sciences focusing on safe and effective medication use.
......but yes, it's good to see more of this s**t been intercepted :smile:

american 30-10-2014 03:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 1665546)

These days lots of criminals are finding themselves mysteriously caught.

Governments regularly share data collected from phone, cell, Internet, and other forms of communication. It's getting to be like Minority Report ;)

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/1...ism-other-uses

Surprise! Controversial Patriot Act power now overwhelmingly used in drug investigations - The Washington Post

Governments of the world making sure that crime doesn't pay (unless it's government crime).

-a

malbert73 30-10-2014 04:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnone (Post 1666001)
Cocaine is one of the least harmful drugs to people and to societies but don't let facts get in the way of a good story.
c.

How do you figure that?

I'm a doctor and part of my work is a practice is in inner city Baltimore. Lost count of how many strokes and heart attacks I've seen in relatively young people (and surprisingly old people as well) due to cocaine. And at minimum, when folks get addicted they tend to spend all their money and time on cocaine binges, and their overall health deteriorates as well.
Heroin may be the king of physiologic addiction, but the psychologic addiction of cocaine is unparelleled. Both have ruined lots of lives and health that I've seen. It's possible that the fact that they're illegal may deter some young people on the fence from trying, or it's possible it doesn't matter.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Spindrift NH 30-10-2014 04:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 1665590)

I'm in the market for a boat like that, wonder if I could pick it up for cheap?
Anyone ever purchase a gov. seized boat and how does one find a "listing"?

GordMay 30-10-2014 05:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spindrift NH (Post 1666166)
I'm in the market for a boat like that, wonder if I could pick it up for cheap?
Anyone ever purchase a gov. seized boat and how does one find a "listing"?

Find Sales of Seized Property | DOJ | Department of Justice

http://www.govsales.gov/govsales/govsales/

IRS Auction - Category Page

a64pilot 30-10-2014 05:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnone (Post 1666001)

I'm trying to stay out of this drug discussion as I have unpopular beliefs myself, and it has little to do with cruising.
But there are some drugs that are worse than others, Cocaine is by no means a new drug and history shows that it, like Opium is one of the bad ones.

Mark1977 30-10-2014 05:40

Shouldn't this be in the "make money while cruising" thread???

IdoraKeeper 30-10-2014 05:57

I think that what Mark j was saying in that he is a drug " resistor " rather than a drug "capacitor". Probably a good thing given his general location. Nothing "cruiser like" about criminal cartels.
I think history has shown that prohibition simply provides a profitable distortion in the market for any particular commodity that is prohibited. In the case of drugs, prohibition of a wide range of substances (harmful and non harmful) creates an enormous black market. Its a jobs program for criminals and cops alike. You want less of something? Legalize it and tax the crap out of it. Just sayin, "Prohibition" is a lousy method of social control that promotes crime and corruption.

Should folks be using drugs is a whole different subject. "Just say no!" Is the least problematic condition. Who needs drama?

robert sailor 30-10-2014 06:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper (Post 1666192)
I think that what Mark j was saying in that he is a drug " resistor " rather than a drug "capacitor". Probably a good thing given his general location. Nothing "cruiser like" about criminal cartels.
I think history has shown that prohibition simply provides a profitable distortion in the market for any particular commodity that is prohibited. In the case of drugs, prohibition of a wide range of substances (harmful and non harmful) creates an enormous black market. Its a jobs program for criminals and cops alike. You want less of something? Legalize it and tax the crap out of it. Just sayin, "Prohibition" is a lousy method of social control that promotes crime and corruption.

Should folks be using drugs is a whole different subject. "Just say no!" Is the least problematic condition. Who needs drama?

Here is a common sense approach. The War on Drugs is really a joke considering its effectiveness although it sure employees a lot of people.

While everyone gets excited about something like Cocaine lets talk about something very legal in our society...smoking. Yes simple smoking kills more damn people than you will ever be able to account for compared to hard drugs yet we all accept it, hell we sell them in Drug stores. Doesn't that tell you something about the way an average person thinks. Quit believing all the ******** put out by the Government that is designed to scare you and use some common sense.

Sand crab 30-10-2014 08:00

I think we should prohibit alcohol.
Oh, wait..............

Vronsky 30-10-2014 08:44

Can someone please explain what the fuss about cocaine (and other hard drugs) is all about, while alcohol is generally accepted (except in the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant)? Damage to society from cocaine e.a. is negligible compared to that from alcohol.

V.

robert sailor 30-10-2014 08:57

Common sense ain't very common

ontherocks83 30-10-2014 08:57

and now the drug debate starts:fight:

skipmac 30-10-2014 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert sailor (Post 1666195)
Here is a common sense approach. The War on Drugs is really a joke considering its effectiveness although it sure employees a lot of people.

While everyone gets excited about something like Cocaine lets talk about something very legal in our society...smoking. Yes simple smoking kills more damn people than you will ever be able to account for compared to hard drugs yet we all accept it, hell we sell them in Drug stores. Doesn't that tell you something about the way an average person thinks. Quit believing all the ******** put out by the Government that is designed to scare you and use some common sense.

This I believe puts things in a proper perspective. There is no denying that drug use can ruin lives but if you look at the ultimate consequence on people's lives, death, the use of tobacco has a far greater impact that all illegal drugs combined.

In the US it is estimated that 400-500,000 people die every year as a direct result of smoking or second hand smoke. The deaths from all illegal drugs combined is estimated to be in the 10-20,000 range.

Excessive use of alcohol is estimated to cause almost 90,000 deaths per year in the US (including deaths from DUI) and also significantly reduces the estimated life span of thousands more. Again, many times higher than the deaths from illegal drugs.

I have two family members in health and social services and their personal experiences reflect this, especially in the poor and lower educated populations. In the ER the most frequent problem patients are those that are really drunk.

And the war on drugs? It is a joke and it has been lost. Any high school or even younger kid can easily obtain any kind of drug. In fact some studies have shown that illegal drugs can be easier for kids to buy than alcohol since the illegal drugs by their nature are forced into an unregulated distribution system.

Like alcohol prohibition, one of the biggest impacts of drug prohibition has been to create a global criminal enterprise. Prior to alcohol prohibition the mafia was a small time operation mainly involved in protection, gambling and petty theft. Prohibition created a huge business opportunity for the mafia that made them trillions of dollars and funded an organization that remains a global problem today. The quote has become a cliché but it is still valid and correct. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

- drug prohibition has not reduced the supply of drugs
- drug prohibition creates and supports more crime by creating a huge illegal economy.
- drug prohibition leads to extremely expensive drugs forcing addicts into crime to support the habit, creating even more crime.
- drug prohibition leads to adulterated, counterfeit drugs or wide variations in potency that cause more deaths.
- many casual users are arrested resulting in a criminal record and possibly lifelong consequences
- drug users facing arrest, lose of job, etc are reluctant or unable to seek counseling or rehab to deal with their problem.
- the billions of dollars wasted in the war on drugs could be much better spent trying to treat those with a drug problem.

One big benefit to the war on drugs, it makes a great sound bite for politicians to use to excite the voters.

a64pilot 30-10-2014 09:25

You know funny thing is, I try to tell those that think we should outlaw guns, that yes we should, look how well it has worked for drugs

See, some should be proud, I brought guns into it :)

a64pilot 30-10-2014 09:27

But you know honestly, using tobacco and alcohol as examples of why we should legalize all drugs sort of makes the point for those that are against legalization doesn't it?

Group9 30-10-2014 09:31

At some point, we, as a society, have to come to grips with the fact that you just can't save people from themselves.

The drug addiction rates, have not changed a lot since the late sixties and early seventies (and where they have changed, they have increased). There are a lot of reasons why drug use, after being fairly moderate for a hundred years (after the deaths of most of the morphine addicted civil war soldiers), suddenly exploded. But, it doesn't matter. You can't put that genie back in the bottle. We have historic drug addiction rates when you add in prescription painkillers, and anti-anxiety drugs like Valium and Xanax. Probably approaching 50 per cent of our population.

And, ultimately, in my life experience, drug addiction is a symptom of a problem, rather than the underlying problem. And, that underlying problem is mental illness. But, if you think the war on drugs was expensive, try financing a war on mental illness. There is a finite point to which you can take money from one half of the people to solve the problems of the other half.

That is my feeling toward legalization, too.

waggy 30-10-2014 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper (Post 1666192)
Who needs drama?

Bored people. Which is typically young people.