Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Spreader Boot Failure? (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f116/spreader-boot-failure-134958.html)

Old Snipe 20-10-2014 04:07

Spreader Boot Failure?

1 Attachment(s)
I made a up a pre-underway checklist about 4 weeks ago. Even though the boat has only been underway a few times, I still sit in the cockpit and go over it every few days. A couple of my buddies tease me about it (good naturedly).

I was going over my list yesterday before taking her out and noticed the port side spreader boot splayed open. The marina was a ghost town yesterday afternoon, (football) so I didn't have anyone to bounce this question off of.

Is this a serious condition? I have no idea if it supports the wire, or is just a cover. Google didn't tell me very much when I checked this.

Sorry for all the "newbie" type questions folks.

V/R........... John

HappyMdRSailor 20-10-2014 04:48

Re: Spreader Boot Failure?

Heya Snipe!

Just wanna say...

KUDOS for being a new diligent sailor... You seem to be on top of your game bud! :thumb:

Nah... This boot isn't supporting or doing anything to the rig... It's there to protect your sails from snagging/wearing/rubbing the end of the spreader... Obviously more likely to happen with the main on a run with the wind behind ya... reaching sheeted tight on the headsail/tacking...

Your spreaders are not "swept back" so your interference isn't as great...

Take a quick trip in some very light winds, and make all points of sail... See how your canvas interacts with the tip... You can probably put this on your "needs to be done fairly soon" list... But if there's a lot of interference with the sails ... More of a "well... I need to take a trip up now" list... :D

HappyMdRSailor 20-10-2014 04:50

PS: Quit worryin' 'bout posting newbie questions... We all started somewhere and didn't know a scupper from a blooper... :flowers:

Fiveslide 20-10-2014 04:58

Not a serious condition. They are basically just sail protection. Find a way up there, carefully, to reattach it properly.

A 26' boat is getting a little small for hefty adults to go up the mast for repairs. You have smaller halyards, you need to be certain of their condition before lifting anyone. Smaller winches make it more work getting you up there. Working left or right of centerline like you would be will cause your boat to heel, make sure you have clearance on that side and you will not clash with a rig in the next slip.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Fiveslide 20-10-2014 05:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor (Post 1658452)

Take a quick trip in some very light winds, and make all points of sail... See how your canvas interacts with the tip... You can probably put this on your "needs to be done fairly soon" list... But if there's a lot of interference with the sails ... More of a "well... I need to take a trip up now" list... :D

I would do it sooner rather than later just because they cost money and it doesn't look far from being blown off entirely or pulled off by a sail.:thumbup:

barnakiel 20-10-2014 05:32

Find a way to climb your mast solo any time. There are pretty many elements there that you want to keep an eye on - stay fittings, mast tangs, etc.

Try to fit the boot. If you cannot, it may go with the wind.

b.

HappyMdRSailor 20-10-2014 05:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiveslide (Post 1658468)
I would do it sooner rather than later just because they cost money and it doesn't look far from being blown off entirely or pulled off by a sail.:thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by barnakiel (Post 1658477)
Find a way to climb your mast solo any time. There are pretty many elements there that you want to keep an eye on - stay fittings, mast tangs, etc.

Try to fit the boot. If you cannot, it may go with the wind.

b.

Dang Ya'll... Ya got better eyes than me!

I guess "splayed" might have been a clue... :whistling:

OK... Maybe ya have a better attention span too...

Rustic Charm 20-10-2014 05:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor (Post 1658454)
PS: didn't know a scupper from a blooper... :flowers:

And what are they? :confused:

HappyMdRSailor 20-10-2014 06:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiveslide (Post 1658459)
Not a serious condition. They are basically just sail protection. Find a way up there, carefully, to reattach it properly.

A 26' boat is getting a little small for hefty adults to go up the mast for repairs. You have smaller halyards, you need to be certain of their condition before lifting anyone. Smaller winches make it more work getting you up there. Working left or right of centerline like you would be will cause your boat to heel, make sure you have clearance on that side and you will not clash with a rig in the next slip.

Man... My attention span is nil this morning...

Five's got a great point here... Something this size might give me the willies going up... and I'm 165... Wonder if Scarlet hasn't scampered off too far after the show... she says she's 4'-13"... Oh Yooo Hooo... :whistling:

Fiveslide 20-10-2014 06:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor (Post 1658495)

Five's got a great point here... Something this size might give me the willies going up... and I'm 165... Wonder if Scarlet hasn't scampered off too far after the show... she says she's 4'-13"... Oh Yooo Hooo... :whistling:

I have a fear of distance between me and ground/deck. I can usually come up with a reason it shouldn't be done by me.

HappyMdRSailor 20-10-2014 06:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiveslide (Post 1658506)
I have a fear of distance between me and ground/deck. I can usually come up with a reason it shouldn't be done by me.

No doubt... My favorite is having to go up when you're out... Feels like you've been mauled by a bear when you make it back down... :peace:

(note to self... look for tiny crew...)

Liunatic 20-10-2014 06:53

Hey Old Snipe, we bought our boat this past spring, and we are totally new to sailing also. On our second sail in pretty good wind we look up and notice this exact same thing -- spreader boot hanging off. We didn't know what it was at the time. Had the binoculars out trying to see what it was flapping up there and what the heck it was supposed to be doing that it wasn't.......and I was sure we were going to lose the whole rig in the next gust before we got back to the dock!!! :whistling: Well, you can bet as soon as we got back to the dock I was online investigating. Learned it was a spreader boot, got some sail tape and a boson's chair, husband hoisted my up and retaped it. (retaped the other one while I was up there, and had a look at the condition of things.)

Being in the newbie club keeps things interesting....:boat:

HappyMdRSailor 20-10-2014 07:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustic Charm (Post 1658489)
And what are they? :confused:

What? nooo goo-gle??? Scupper is any opening in a deck/deck-toe rail meant to drain standing water... Not to confused with limber holes... Blooper is a type of headsail meant to fly on the opposite side when running with a chute... Totally out of favor today...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liunatic (Post 1658530)
Hey Old Snipe, we bought our boat this past spring, and we are totally new to sailing also. On our second sail in pretty good wind we look up and notice this exact same thing -- spreader boot hanging off. We didn't know what it was at the time. Had the binoculars out trying to see what it was flapping up there and what the heck it was supposed to be doing that it wasn't.......and I was sure we were going to lose the whole rig in the next gust before we got back to the dock!!! :whistling: Well, you can bet as soon as we got back to the dock I was online investigating. Learned it was a spreader boot, got some sail tape and a boson's chair, husband hoisted my up and retaped it. (retaped the other one while I was up there, and had a look at the condition of things.)

Being in the newbie club keeps things interesting....:boat:

How far is Rhode Island from Virginia Beach???
(psst... snipe... pay attention here...):whistling:

scarlet 20-10-2014 07:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor (Post 1658495)

I'd go up there... wouldn't have CLUE what to do when I got up there.. Bird watching, perhaps? :confused:

HappyMdRSailor 20-10-2014 08:22

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by scarlet (Post 1658568)
I'd go up there... wouldn't have CLUE what to do when I got up there.. Bird watching, perhaps? :confused:

Don't worry... Us menfolk have been dealing with "thingy" , "pokey outy" "fuzzy" , "squeaky" , "flippy-floppy" , "icky" etc... verbiage for some time now... Don't tell anybody but we have a cheat sheet chart... :D