Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Atlantic & the Caribbean (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/)
-   -   Gonzalo (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/gonzalo-134595.html)

2Ripples 13-10-2014 18:19

Gonzalo

Heard that some boats in Jolly Harbour boatyard in Antigua got knocked over during Gonzalo passing.
Any reliable news from the different islands at this point ?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Rubikoop 13-10-2014 21:30

Re: Gonzalo

I'm on St Thomas and other than a little rain, there's not much going on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Zanshin 13-10-2014 22:56

Mark of SeaLife reported some boats on the rocks in Marigot and the Simpson Bay Lagoon on St. Martin and the storm track luckily then headed north of Anegada in the BVI so Rubikoop got lucky (as did I, since my boat is on land at Nanny Cay). The storm did go right through Antigua but at the time it hadn't quite gathered that much strength. I believe that if boats did topple it must have happened in the upper storage area (slight incline and softer ground). When I stored my boat there I was told that every boat is screwed/chained down, so perhaps they had unfortunate gusts.

2Ripples 14-10-2014 06:24

Some reports starting to trickle in National and Local Weather Forecast, Hurricane, Radar and Report
Hurricane Gonzalo Hammers Antigua

and from Antigua Gov this morning (ab.gov.ag):
Following the tropical storm, Prime Minister Browne toured the island including some of the areas worst affected by the cyclone including Parham, where a number of fishing vessels were destroyed, Cades Bay, Johnsonís Point and the Villa and Point communities.

My boat is hauled-out in NorthSound, a few miles north of Parham, center of storm passed right over NorthSound before it was a hurricane.
Waiting for update.
All boats strapped down with anchors in cement slab, should be OK, but concern is over flying debris.

St.Martin probably got hit harder, but not finding any details, except the general blurbs.

And the hurricane season had been so quiet ...

poiu 14-10-2014 12:34

I called North Sound, Antigua. I'm there on the hard too. All boats are upright and no major damage, though there is debris around the yard from bits breaking off the boats. They will do a photo record and email to the owners soon. A couple of boats sank in Jolly Harbour.

St Martin got off much worse with many boats sunk and damaged and some people are missing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyI2C2S4sJE

dohenyboy 14-10-2014 16:03

Several boats in Falmouth and English Harbour were damaged. Winds of 80 mph were clocked. It was much worse than anyone expected

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.

atoll 14-10-2014 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by dohenyboy (Post 1653849)
Several boats in Falmouth and English Harbour were damaged. Winds of 80 mph were clocked. It was much worse than anyone expected

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.

friends in jolly harbour report a few boats sunk,and other friends in st martin report many boats sunk,people missing and quite a lot of devestation onland as well

barnakiel 14-10-2014 16:15

You will notice a SAR boat beached in the background ...

I remember there was that Lagoon thread once ... ;-)))))

b.

KDH 15-10-2014 01:40

New reports showing between 20-40 boats sunk in the St. Maarten/St. Martin area. One man died aboard his boat. Please see: St.Maarten/St.Martin - Local Reports (Caribbean Hurricane Network)
Hurricane Gonzalo kills one in St Martin and grows to category 3 storm | World news | theguardian.com
Hurricane Gonzalo Kills 1 in St. Maarten and Injures 12 in Antigua; Bermuda Under Alert - weather.com

Gonzalo was a category 3 hurricane by the time it hit St. Martin.

Dulcesuenos 15-10-2014 03:26

We have other friends who just went down last week and are there now for a large regatta for airline pilots etc, they were in the Bvi aboard charter cats. I wonder what the charter co does when. Hurricane come, do they have a hurricane hole they tell charters to go or pull them out or hope they have a high cc limit?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

KDH 15-10-2014 03:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos (Post 1654115)
We have other friends who just went down last week and are there now for a large regatta for airline pilots etc, they were in the Bvi aboard charter cats. I wonder what the charter co does when. Hurricane come, do they have a hurricane hole they tell charters to go or pull them out or hope they have a high cc limit?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

News Reports and reports from Nanny Cay are indicating the storm was very mild in the BVI and by and large bypassed it. The power stayed on even, in Tortola at least. Not sure what the charter companies do, but thought you might like to know that in all likelihood your friends are safe and sound, if not sober!

Blue Stocking 15-10-2014 04:23

Now scheduled to hit us, Bermuda, as a Cat 3 or 4, Friday 1200 hrs. This will be 6 days after TS Fay developed into a hurricane right over us with gusts to 112, steady 80 knts.
I'M GETTING TOO OLD TO REMOVE AND REPLACE Stack-pack main and jib from Bluestocking 3 or 4 times a summer. Time for something smaller. :smile:

SouthernC 15-10-2014 06:07

Hi , does anyone have any news or pictures of how boats faired in ENGLISH HARBOUR , Antigua
We have our boat lying there secured ( hopefully) in the mangroves . Any info appreciated . Have seen pics of jolly harbour but no info on English harbour
Many thanks
Andy

atoll 15-10-2014 06:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernC (Post 1654204)
Hi , does anyone have any news or pictures of how boats faired in ENGLISH HARBOUR , Antigua
We have our boat lying there secured ( hopefully) in the mangroves . Any info appreciated . Have seen pics of jolly harbour but no info on English harbour
Many thanks
Andy

you could try call sunsail in the dockyard English harbour

zeehag 15-10-2014 07:06

one of the members of storm 2k was in st marten when the storm did its rapid intensification and reported gusts to 200 mph. she sed it was like living thru hell.
what an experience....