Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/)
-   -   Caframo "Bora" Fan (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/caframo-bora-fan-134113.html)

SVNeko 05-10-2014 10:11

Caframo "Bora" Fan

Anyone know how to get a Caframo Bora fan to stop rattling?

AnchorageGuy 05-10-2014 10:16

Re: Caframo "Bora" Fan

If this is an older model, there is a nut inside the mount that can be adjusted from the bottom to tighten the fan against the notched pivot. Don't over-tighten or you won't be able to turn the fan. Chuck

MarkJ 05-10-2014 10:40

Chuck it out and buy the one without the frame. There aint nuffin to rattle.

But they are LOUD.

SVNeko 05-10-2014 10:58

Nearly impossible to buy anything boat-related in Panama...

colemj 05-10-2014 11:52

Marine Warehouse can get you pretty much anything in Panama.

Mark

sv_pelagia 05-10-2014 11:59

I found ours started rattling as the blades became dirty. Cleaning with alcohol-soaked Q-tip helped substantially.

However, finally I took off the grates (easy) to properly clean and this stopped noise.

warning, if you take off blade (screw in centre) to make cleaning easier, it is (too) easy to incorrectly re-install blade. I suggest NOT removing blade when cleaning.

SVNeko 05-10-2014 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by colemj (Post 1646268)
Marine Warehouse can get you pretty much anything in Panama.

Mark

If you are willing to wait a month...

SVNeko 05-10-2014 12:48

Took apart and cleaned completely and rattling stopped, at least temporarily. Indeed, aligning fan properly again was tricky but I think that is necessary to stop the rattle.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

kentobin 05-10-2014 21:08

If you're having the same problem I am the plastic fan is just pushed onto the metal shaft of the motor and it keeps moving off the shaft until it starts hitting the plastic frame/grating. I keep pushing the fan back down on the shaft and it keeps moving up the shaft until it starts banging again. The hole in the fan is probably getting enlarged to with all this movement.

It's easy enough to take apart and I am considering using some type of glue to keep it there. My concern is if the glue is to strong I may never get it apart again. That might not be an issue as there seems to be a large number of Caframo fan owners that feel you're lucky to get a year's worth of fulltime use before it breaks and then it's not repairable.

For a fan they're not cheap so you'd hope there was some quality there and it appears not, seems a shame.

SVNeko 06-10-2014 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentobin (Post 1646667)
there seems to be a large number of Caframo fan owners that feel you're lucky to get a year's worth of fulltime use before it breaks and then it's not repairable.

For a fan they're not cheap so you'd hope there was some quality there and it appears not, seems a shame.

Yes, that may be the case. I am hoping to limp it along until I can get somewhere to buy another one. Perhaps we should turn this into a fan review thread. It can't be that hard to design a 12V fan that won't self destruct (assuming the mfgr WANTS to build one that way).

donradcliffe 06-10-2014 08:55

Disassemble the mount, and put a doughnut spacer made from an inner tube between the notched parts.

AnchorageGuy 06-10-2014 10:21

Just a note, we did have a problem with one fan that began to smoke. It was a year and a half old and Caframo replaced it. Three of our fans have been on the boat and in use for 4 years. At ties while cruising they run 24/7. We have tried every type of 12 volt fan and none are as quiet, last as long and use so little amps as the Caframo. That's been our experience. Chuck

a64pilot 06-10-2014 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy (Post 1647048)
Just a note, we did have a problem with one fan that began to smoke. It was a year and a half old and Caframo replaced it. Three of our fans have been on the boat and in use for 4 years. At ties while cruising they run 24/7. We have tried every type of 12 volt fan and none are as quiet, last as long and use so little amps as the Caframo. That's been our experience. Chuck

Yes, but which Carfarmo are you referring to?

a64pilot 06-10-2014 11:15

If it's really no kidding hot, best thing I have found is a cheap 20" box fan bought wherever and run off of an inverter, not a low amp solution though

AnchorageGuy 06-10-2014 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 1647091)
Yes, but which Carfarmo are you referring to?

We have both the Bora and the 757. The 757 puts out the most air. Chuck