Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Monohull Sailboats (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Graceful vee berth exit? (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f47/graceful-vee-berth-exit-133894.html)

Mattdwyerva 01-10-2014 17:06

Graceful vee berth exit?

Chartered a Catalina 36 Mk II last weekend on the Chesapeake Bay. Had a great time, but struggled a bit exiting the vee berth. Haven't used vee berth in awhile, and getting old, of course, but wondered if I was doing it wrong :). Had head towards main cabin.

How do you swing your legs around without kicking your better half? Feel slightly foolish even asking this question....

delmarrey 01-10-2014 17:21

Re: Graceful vee berth exit?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattdwyerva (Post 1643138)
Chartered a Catalina 36 Mk II last weekend on the Chesapeake Bay. Had a great time, but struggled a bit exiting the vee berth. Haven't used vee berth in awhile, and getting old, of course, but wondered if I was doing it wrong :). Had head towards main cabin.

How do you swing your legs around without kicking your better half? Feel slightly foolish even asking this question....

That's what I hate about V-berths. Not enought shoulder room forward for two people. So ha have to go in bass ackwards.

If your not too old you could rollover on your knees then sit back and kick the feet out first.

ontherocks83 01-10-2014 17:31

you sleep in the salon and let the kids sleep in the v-berth. I never understood as a kid when my parents wouldn't want to sleep in the v- berth and would always let us sleep there, now... I get it

Mattdwyerva 01-10-2014 18:12

I want to cruise with adults, and I like the theory of a living space where the sleepless can pace and fidget without disturbing the sleep of the just. In other words, I like keeping the saloon for those who may be awake, and sleeping is in quarters - and yet I want the boat to sail like a J boat(ha).... Guess that I need to give up on something somewhere.

Sent from my XT1060 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

ontherocks83 01-10-2014 18:24

realistically 2 options.
1) lose weight and get more flexible
2) get another boat.

not many other ways around it. i have a catalina 30 so i feel your pain the v berth is horrible to get in and out of. Have fun in yoga class!

Mattdwyerva 01-10-2014 18:28

I kept wishing there were handholds overhead - I could have just pulled myself out %-)

ontherocks83 01-10-2014 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattdwyerva (Post 1643188)
I kept wishing there were handholds overhead - I could have just pulled myself out %-)

Thats actually a really good and feasible idea. The best part is they would be duel purposed for frisky nights:whistling:

Mattdwyerva 01-10-2014 18:33

Ha! You're never gonna let the kids use the v berth again!

Stu Jackson 01-10-2014 18:50

On back, swing around, exit feet first. My handhold is the cabinet that's a great backrest for reading, too.

Strait Shooter 01-10-2014 18:54

I generally somersault into mine (the grand grrlies love when I do that), and placed a grab bar where I can grab it and pull myself upright.
I'm 56 now and hope to keep doing it for as long as there's little grrlies to impress ;)

IdoraKeeper 01-10-2014 19:19

If you get rid of the deep fat fryer, you will eventually be able to get out of the V berth like a 15 year old. I sleep on the Starboard side as the stack for the furnace is on the Port side. Don"t want to get 3rd degree burns responding to the anchor alarm when the CQR lets go. Head to bow to keep the feet clear to move fast. That puts things I might want to grab (nay, caress) within reach of my grubby mitts.

JK n Smitty 01-10-2014 19:23

This is why I love my Catalina 310: walk-around queen berth. No acrobatics needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Strait Shooter 01-10-2014 19:26

You have a walk around queen in the V Berth?
Holy Cow!

JK n Smitty 01-10-2014 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strait Shooter (Post 1643206)
You have a walk around queen in the V Berth?
Holy Cow!

On a 31 foot boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Strait Shooter 01-10-2014 20:11

Sweet!