Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   Eat fish and swim (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/eat-fish-and-swim-133650.html)

ricorrea2002 28-09-2014 13:23

Eat fish and swim

Just a curiosity:

For those who live abroad in the caribbean:
- how often do you eat fish? and
- how often do you swim?

atoll 28-09-2014 13:34

Re: Eat fish and swim

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricorrea2002 (Post 1639935)
Just a curiosity:

For those who live abroad in the caribbean:
- how often do you eat fish? and
- how often do you swim?

north of st lucia cigutera is a problem so catching the fish in the anchorage is risky if you are going to eat them.

swimming round the boat you risk getting killed by people in ribs!

barnakiel 28-09-2014 13:53

We swim daily, if water is clean enough.

We never eat fish.

b.
now elsewhere

Hud3 28-09-2014 15:09

We swam once or twice daily, and if the anchorage was busy, I let the dinghy out on a longer line to create a safe area behind the boat. Fishing wasn't all that good in the islands, at least for me. Had much better luck on the offshore passages--mostly dolphin fish.

colemj 28-09-2014 16:01

After leaving the Eastern Caribe for the rest of the Caribbean sea, we are in the water ~2-3 hrs/day, and catch and eat fish 4-5 times/week (fishing pretty much 7 days/wk, but the catching part isn't as often).

The only real chance for fish in the Eastern Caribe is trolling offshore, and swimming can be questionable in some of the more crowded harbors. Swimming is great in less crowded areas with reefs.

Unlike Hud, those dolphin fish in the EC mostly avoided us, but we did catch a lot of blackfin tuna and a couple of wahoo.

Mark

belizesailor 28-09-2014 17:34

When aboard the boat (W Carib, now in Panama) we are in the water almost every day and some form of seafood (fish, lobster, crab....) is on the menu almost daily. One good sized fish goes a long way for two.

Even ashore, as we are now, we eat seafood often.

MarkJ 28-09-2014 18:17

I am a crappy fisherman and don't eat much fish anyway... But from watching other people no one really fishes in the anchorages. A few people, like 1 I was invited on to go fishing, and we trolled for 6 hours and caught barracuda only... Which most people dont eat.

Theres no ciguterra in the Caribbean as far as I know, as in I have never heard of anyone getting it.
Some islands its illegal for non residents to fish.

Swimming: todays swim was pathetic. 28 d C water, blue sky and soft white sand :)

fishin4bogey 28-09-2014 20:32

Mark, as tough as that sounds, I have faith you gave it your best!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

sy_gilana 28-09-2014 20:54

Spend 2.5 hours a day in the water average.
Eat fish 3-4 days a week.
Were in West Carib. Less boats, can swim nekkid off the boat, no other boats close by, no dinks no worries...

Steve Bean 28-09-2014 21:14

THERE IS CIGUATERA in the Caribbean. Do some research.

atoll 29-09-2014 02:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Bean (Post 1640321)
THERE IS CIGUATERA in the Caribbean. Do some research.

+2:thumb:

also in the carribean due to soil run off and human sewage issues in some areas staph infections are very common for swimmers

9 Surprising Diseases You Can Catch In The Nation's Oceans (PHOTOS)

s/v Jedi 29-09-2014 04:16

Ciguatera poisening: draw a line from Dominica in the East, through the center Cuba in the West. South of that line, ciguatera has not been found on any reef while North of it, it has. There are many places North of the line that are okay but you need local knowledge for that.
In Cuba you can eat Barracuda on the South coast as much as you like while in the North coast you probably get sick. Barracuda up to 2' long is one of our favorite meals; same class as Red Snapper, better than Kingfish.

svfraidknot 29-09-2014 08:50

i went years catching barracuda here in panama bay gave them away ,, recently i went with another guy and all we caught was barracuda ,, he cut their heads off iced them down and gave me 3 or 4 ,, i fileted them fried them and was excellent eating .. a lot more meat on a 2 foot fish than i thought ,, he informed me their is a not a problem with smaller fish in this are ,, maybe some of the larger fish we get with spear guns ,, dont seem to catch many big ones but they are there /

ontherocks83 29-09-2014 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJ (Post 1640231)
Swimming: todays swim was pathetic. 28 d C water, blue sky and soft white sand :)

With all due respect I really hate you right now.:flowers:

onefastdaddy 30-09-2014 16:05

We are living aboard in the BVI currently and swim every day, several times a day, currently in Virgin Gorda at Jumblies for their 8.00 pizza, DJ and fun.
The off season is great. Saba Rock is closed so the moorings are essentially free. Anchoring off prickly pear island is good. Leverick Bay has free Wifi...life is good.
Fishing, that's next on our list is to go get a fishing license and some gear so we can drag a line while heading out to Anegada.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum