Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Marine Electronics (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   Raymarine ST6001 Autopilot - NO DATA error (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/raymarine-st6001-autopilot-no-data-error-127813.html)

Jon Constantine 12-06-2014 06:56

Raymarine ST6001 Autopilot - NO DATA error

Hi All,

I have a Raymarine ST6001 Autopilot which was working fine until this week.

Here are the symptoms and my efforts to trace the problem - without success!

I can turn on the Autopilot ok and it goes into normal Standby mode.

When I press the red AUTO button, I get an onscreen message "NO DATA" and underneath, I can see the rudder angle display. I am therefore presuming the problem is with the rudder angle device. I removed the arm and checked the wiring, also opening it up and looking inside where I find 3 wires, red, blue, green. This unit was new a year ago and shows no signs of corrosion or burn out.

Can anyone thow any light on the problem and/or offer any advise on how to test/repair it?

As a single hander, I depend on my autopilot which is a linear drive model)

I also have Raymarine instruments which are all interconnected. they are ST60's.

Many thanks,

Jon Constantine - s/y Imagine Of Falmouth (Antigua).

gordwedman 12-06-2014 07:34

Re: Raymarine ST6001 Autopilot - NO DATA error

In my experience "no data" shows up when you tell the autopilot to go to a waypoint but the gps is not sending the waypoint data. I don't know if the rudder symbol actually means no rudder data. Your best bet is to contact Raymarine USA through their technical support forum.

Tortuga's Lie 12-06-2014 07:40

The rudder angle sensor is for feedback to the unit and I do not think the autopilot relies on this to function. To me it sounds like a connection issue with the fluxgate compass and/or the computer-control head.

Jon Constantine 12-06-2014 08:53

If it's not the rudder sensor, does anyone have any suggestions how I can test the unit to find out what is wrong?

the_alpine 12-06-2014 09:21

Tortuga is right. It's a computer or flux gate or wind instrument issue.

Jon Constantine 12-06-2014 09:46

Any ideas on testing?

Jon Constantine 12-06-2014 09:52

The wind instrument seems to be working fine. Maybe then I need to look at the fluxgate compass but not sure where to find it. I guess it maybe a case of following the wire but even so, I still need some info on how to test the connections if anyone can help I would much appreciate it.

Jon

the_alpine 12-06-2014 09:57

Raymarine ST6001 Autopilot - NO DATA error

Did you check that the computer is receiving power?

Actually, it should be since your control head is powering up.

Have you tried setting it to auto in wind mode(pressing AUTO and STANDBY together)?

Jon Constantine 12-06-2014 10:19

Yes, the computer has power ok. I also checked the 3 fuses - all ok there. I just tried pushing AUTO and STANDBY together but just get the same NO DATA message.

I notice that in STANDBY mode the heading is shown as 248 M when infact, I am at anchor and pointing 90 M. Could that be an indication that its the fluxgate compass and if so any ideas on how to test it?

Jon

the_alpine 12-06-2014 11:23

Test procedure:
http://www.raymarine.co.uk/knowledge....cfm?view=3798

Jon Constantine 23-06-2014 07:36

Yes, the computer unit is receiving power ok. I checked the 3 fuses as well. They are ok. I tried pressing STANDBY and AUTO together but get the same "beeping"

transmitterdan 23-06-2014 08:00

NO DATA means the control unit is not receiving data from the course computer. It isn't a message about flux gate or rudder sensor. If the course computer is powered then it is either the wiring from the computer to the control head or the computer isn't running.

Jon Constantine 23-06-2014 09:24

Thanks Transmitterdan, I will check the wiring from the course computer to the instrument display in the cockpit.

Is there any reading I can get using a voltmeter at the instrument?

Jon

beneteau-500 23-06-2014 10:34

It's your flux gate causing the problem go to your course computer you will see the wires connected there as you said you don't know where flux gate is then trace wires back the flux gate has either failed or suffering magnetic interference most likely you have place a metal object next to it and is causing interference You may have to also do 2x 360 turns at about 3 knots to re calibrate it

transmitterdan 23-06-2014 19:12

Jon,

If the head unit displays various rudder angles the the course computer is booted and running.