Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   OpenCPN (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/)
-   -   opencpn on intellpowered chromebook (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/opencpn-on-intellpowered-chromebook-127804.html)

srankin 12-06-2014 01:37

opencpn on intellpowered chromebook

I have a acer c720 chromebook with ubuntu 12.04 installed using crouton and when I check for "groups" , there is no dialout group. Is there a fix? Seems it is required to be able to install a gps.

rooiedirk 12-06-2014 03:25

Re: opencpn on intellpowered chromebook

Quote:

Originally Posted by srankin (Post 1562598)
I have a acer c720 chromebook with ubuntu 12.04 installed using crouton and when I check for "groups" , there is no dialout group. Is there a fix? Seems it is required to be able to install a gps.

groups does give you the groups where you are a member of.
do:
Code:

sudo usermod -a -G dialout YourUserName
you need to logout and login again afterwards

srankin 12-06-2014 13:46

Thanks for that! Im past that particular hurdle but still unable to get the gps recognizedl. Will carry on before requesting more help.

boat_alexandra 12-06-2014 20:45

I am using acer c720 with mint linux. Upgraded to 64gb ssd. No crouton as I wiped chromeos. The graphics driver is a little buggy, do you experience this with crouton?

srankin 12-06-2014 21:29

Ive only had the computer a couple of days and so far I havent noticed a problem with the graphics, but Ive mostly been struggling with getting opencpn functioning. I havent managed to get gpsd to install along with gpsd-client. If anyone else has had a problem with getting their prolific usb gps to work in this crouton enviroment, Id be obliged to recieve a bit of instruction.

boat_alexandra 17-06-2014 01:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by srankin (Post 1563291)
Ive only had the computer a couple of days and so far I havent noticed a problem with the graphics, but Ive mostly been struggling with getting opencpn functioning. I havent managed to get gpsd to install along with gpsd-client. If anyone else has had a problem with getting their prolific usb gps to work in this crouton enviroment, Id be obliged to recieve a bit of instruction.

Yes, well I have installed mint linux, and with a bit of tweaks (kernel patches etc) gpsd is not a problem.

boat_alexandra 17-06-2014 02:21

Note differences when running "lsusb" and look in /dev for new devices. Take a look at dmesg output. It's possible you need to modprobe option, or possibly compile the kernel module needed from source.

It is also possible to get a userspace program to do what you need using libusb, but I dont' know of any. You could hack in support to gpsd to make it work.

srankin 17-06-2014 05:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by boat_alexandra (Post 1566115)
Note differences when running "lsusb" and look in /dev for new devices. Take a look at dmesg output. It's possible you need to modprobe option, or possibly compile the kernel module needed from source.

It is also possible to get a userspace program to do what you need using libusb, but I dont' know of any. You could hack in support to gpsd to make it work.

Ok....ive gotten it working by forgetting crouton and installing 14.04 as a double boot using chronos. Everything seems good including airmail under Wine. Thanks for the input.