Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing Systems and Fixtures (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Macerator Pump recommendations (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/macerator-pump-recommendations-125650.html)

IanClarke 05-05-2014 06:17

Macerator Pump recommendations

Hello all,
When installing the Jabsco service kit to my Jabsco Mascerator pump I noticed that the bolts that hold it together were very corroded. The service kit came with only two new bolts, so I had to leave two still in the pump. The original bolts failed soon after fitting the service kit.
I thought I should just buy a new one. When looking at the reviews of the Jabsco 12v Mascerator Pump on the West Marine Site, 95% of reviewers rubbished it saying that the bolts that hold it together corrode and fail very quickly and would not recommend the pump at all.
Can anyone recommend a good/best alternative. I need 12volt, 5 foot lift, 1.5" inlet and 1" outlet, which seems pretty much the standard for these types of units. I can see alternatives in the Trac T10069, and Johnson 10-24453-01. Both less expensive than the Jabsco. Has anyone had good reliable service for 3 plus years from these or other pumps.
Thanks for your replies.
Regards Ian

Stu Jackson 05-05-2014 06:37

Re: Macerator Pump recommendations

Anything but Jabsco for the reasons you mentioned. I bought a Shurflo to replace my 26 year old Jabsco when the Jabsco died. Seems it's true: "They don't make 'em like that anymore." :)

ColdEH 05-05-2014 06:50

Take a look at these, built very sturdy.

Oberdorfer Pump Rubber Impeller Pump 209M A92 | eBay

Also have you thought of a Whale Pump.

IanClarke 09-05-2014 06:10

Thanks for the response guys.
That second one looks like it would last longer than me.
Regards Ian

Amnesia II 14-05-2014 10:07

Ah yes, those brass or bronze bolts, I had the same happen...I caniblised from a spare pump to keep the original one in service. Realising the bolts were a weakness I sought out some s/s all thread rod to cut to length.

rebel heart 14-05-2014 10:44

I had a Raritan SeaEra that worked great.

River Cruiser 17-05-2014 18:54

I have a Whale and it's been as dependable as a heartbeat.

IanClarke 15-12-2015 04:17

This is a very late update on this problem. I talked to the Jabsco USA service department, I spoke to a very helpful guy, I think his name was Dave. He sent to me three sets of new stainless steel studs for the pumps I have, one for each side of the Cat we have and one for the spare. Good to see that Jabsco back the product, so full credit to them.