Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Marine Electronics (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   Squirt Boeshield T-9 ON Circuit Boards? (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/squirt-boeshield-t-9-on-circuit-boards-124314.html)

MarkJ 12-04-2014 15:04

Squirt Boeshield T-9 ON Circuit Boards?

I thought the idea with Boesheild T-9 was you could squirt it on curcuit boards and stop corrosion.

So I tested it on curcuit boards of a couple of cheap torches that have a flashing sequence. I did it as a test.

Now the don't work.

So I did wrong?

bill good 12-04-2014 15:30

Re: Squirt Boeshield T-9 ON curcuit boards?

You have to be sure not to get it on the contacts of battery & switch parts.

MarkJ 13-04-2014 05:43

Re: Squirt Boeshield T-9 ON Circuit Boards?

Thanks Bill.

Mark

Blue Stocking 13-04-2014 06:04

I massage it on my prop blades multiple times when in the yard. Works well, no barnacles.

goboatingnow 13-04-2014 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Stocking (Post 1517340)
I massage it on my prop blades multiple times when in the yard. Works well, no barnacles.

Wow, useful to know.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lake-Effect 13-04-2014 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJ (Post 1516825)
I thought the idea with Boesheild T-9 was you could squirt it on curcuit boards and stop corrosion.

So I tested it on curcuit boards of a couple of cheap torches that have a flashing sequence. I did it as a test.

Now the don't work.

So I did wrong?

Product Site.

Given the "wax" part, I wouldn't let the stuff get into moving contacts. I believe it's intended as a lubricant and protectant; it's not going to enhance contact surfaces.

You should be able to restore functionality by using contact cleaner to blast out any switches or connectors, wiping battery contacts etc.

bill good 13-04-2014 16:36

Mark, What you should be looking for is circuit board lacquer which will give a flexible coating from humidity & evironmental attack. One with a tube to fit the nozzle to control where the lacquer is put. i.e. not on contacts or switches. Treating all electronics & boards will increase the life on board boats. Good for any touch up on exposed engine body as well. (Just had to do the PC board on the bread maker because of moisture upsetting the timer.)

Regards

MarkJ 13-04-2014 17:33

Thanks, Bill

Freedom45 13-04-2014 17:57

Take a look at ACF-50...

Chuck

a64pilot 13-04-2014 17:58

The stuff we put on aircraft electronics to protect them is called conformal coating, I bet a good electronics shop would have it.

transmitterdan 13-04-2014 18:05

Mark,

T 9 is ok to spray on electronic circuits to help against corrosion. T 9 is not conductive and should not harm electronics. Because it leaves behind a waxy non-conductive coating it might interfere with electrical contacts. So if your torches don't work probably you can "fix" them by removing the waxy coating on any metal contacts (batteries, contact springs, switches, etc.). You can just try scraping it off or you might try mineral spirits (stay outside in fresh air) to remove the waxy residue of T 9.

In future don't spray T 9 on areas where electrical contact is required (switches or battery contacts). Covering these areas with tape might work.

Good luck,
Dan

senormechanico 13-04-2014 18:12

Chemtronics "Konform"
Comes in a spray can.

KonformŽ Ultra

Ebay has it:

konform | eBay

MarkJ 14-04-2014 03:48

Thanks everyone :)