Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Powered Boats (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f109/)
-   -   For All Ye Old Navy Sailors (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f109/for-all-ye-old-navy-sailors-123272.html)

delmarrey 27-03-2014 09:40

For All Ye Old Navy Sailors

This just came across my desk from an older brother. And for those who think restoring an old boat is too much trouble. You've got to have that "finish the job" attitude.

PT Boat 658 - The only functional, restored, PT boat left in the world! Operating out of Portland, Oregon.

oldragbaggers 27-03-2014 09:47

Re: For All Ye Old Navy Sailors

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing it!

HappyMdRSailor 27-03-2014 09:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by delmarrey (Post 1503209)
This just came across my desk from an older brother. And for those who think restoring an old boat is too much trouble. You've got to have that "finish the job" attitude.

PT Boat 658 - The only functional, restored, PT boat left in the world! Operating out of Portland, Oregon.

OMG THAT WAS FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!! :thumb:

Thanks for the post D!

Oh... in case others don't know... There's 2 victory ships you can pore over/ride on the west coast for peanuts...:D

SkiprJohn 27-03-2014 21:28

Thanks Del.

sabray 27-03-2014 21:47

Very nice. Thanks for posting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amapola 28-03-2014 09:43

Thanks for sharing

SkiprJohn 28-03-2014 11:12

I didn't realize they had 3 1800hp Packard engines. I'd love to hear that running at even half speed.
PBRs were pretty fantastic for shallow water but those PTs were something else.

delmarrey 28-03-2014 11:49

I'd luv to own one of those PBRs. I use to work on them in Vietnam (An Thoi & Na Bea) they were a 32' fiberglass hull w/twin 6-71 gimys w/blowers, driven by twin jet drives. They were like super jet skis with armorment. When you hit the throttle they would practically jump out of the water.
And they were built right here in the PNW.

The aluminum Swift boats were another blast. Twin 12-71s but with twin screws.

a64pilot 28-03-2014 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkiprJohn (Post 1504017)
I didn't realize they had 3 1800hp Packard engines. I'd love to hear that running at even half speed.
PBRs were pretty fantastic for shallow water but those PTs were something else.

They carried about 3,000 gl of high octane aviation gas, and if you ran them full throttle you'd be out of fuel in six hours, but you would have traveled 300 NM :thumb:
On edit, that's 10 gl per Nautical Mile

Horror Hotel 28-03-2014 12:31

In Kingston NY on the upper Hudson River their is a place with 4 PT boats, one is restored but it has newer diesels. 3 others sit outside in various states of disrepair. They claim it's the largest collection number of remaining PT boats left. You can rent the running one for events, but it seems like money is super tight. I'm guessing the remaining 3 will just rot.