Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Forum (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f80/)
-   -   Dolphin Asks Diver For help (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f80/dolphin-asks-diver-for-help-122370.html)

Coops 12-03-2014 14:24

Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Amazing. How do they know that they can?

Dolphin asks diver for help, diver lends a hand. [VIDEO]

Coops.

a64pilot 12-03-2014 14:40

Re: Dolphin Asks Diver For help

Anybody that has dove with Dolphins and whales knows there is intelligence there, you can see it in their eyes. Sounds silly but when you catch their eye you can tell that somebody is looking at you. Somebody as a fellow intellectual being. Dogs, cats, horses can be faithful loving creatures, but the spark of intelligence is missing.
I've seen this video before, but I've never heard of a Dolphin biting a hook, never. I assume maybe he ate a fish that had been hooked and had broken the line?

Kalinka1 12-03-2014 14:41

and we think they're dumb.

a64pilot 12-03-2014 14:43

Unless I'm mistaken many people have been saved from drowning by Dolphins, I don't think that is an urban legend

cburger 12-03-2014 14:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 1490592)
Anybody that has dove with Dolphins and whales knows there is intelligence there, you can see it in their eyes. Sounds silly but when you catch their eye you can tell that somebody is looking at you. Somebody as a fellow intellectual being. Dogs, cats, horses can be faithful loving creatures, but the spark of intelligence is missing.
I've seen this video before, but I've never heard of a Dolphin biting a hook, never. I assume maybe he ate a fish that had been hooked and had broken the line?

What do you mean dogs don't have intelligence in their eyes, I know for sure some of the canines I have had are a lot smarter than my representatives in Congress, agree with you on the cat thing though. :popcorn:

Therapy 12-03-2014 20:07

Never seen or heard of that. Amazing. Thanks.

lingerfeltja 12-03-2014 20:55

Dogs have more intelligence than reps in Congress? That insults our beloved dogs. Cockroaches have more intelligence than reps in Congress.

fozrunner 12-03-2014 21:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by a64pilot (Post 1490592)
Anybody that has dove with Dolphins and whales knows there is intelligence there, you can see it in their eyes. Sounds silly but when you catch their eye you can tell that somebody is looking at you.

I agree completely. I was involved with a rescue of False Killer Whales off Crowdy Head , NSW. The whales beached and were transported to the boat harbour. As part of a Uni dive club we drove down to help. The whales (about 30 if them) would corkscrew through the water and were not able to breath properly. They were swimming in a tight circle in the harbour. We swam with them all through the night, grabbing their pectoral fins and bringing them to the surface to breath. These were large animals that could have broken our limbs with a careless swipe of their tails, but they were oh so gentle.

Towards the end of the night I hadn't seen one of the smaller ones for a while, and then two healthy whales, patrolling the edges of the group, swam under the other animals and surfaced with the young one between them, assisting it to breathe. It was amazing and moving. We swam them out of the harbour in the morning, but some of them beached again. On the second attempt, we were more successful. I think it is still recorded as one of the most successful rescues.

I must admit i was a bit disconcerted at the BC video recently that shows killer whales herding some dolphins and then devouring them!

jongleur 12-03-2014 21:59

Wow. That was amazing!

Celestialsailor 12-03-2014 23:06

1 Attachment(s)
That was pretty cool. I use to live in Kona and have SCUBA'd with the mantas. As far as dogs not intelligent...I think Nellie might object.

denverd0n 13-03-2014 08:21

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

HappyMdRSailor 13-03-2014 08:52

Anybody that doesn't think dolphins are smart should read this and further!!!

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Military dolphin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DDabs 13-03-2014 09:08

http://cdn01.cdnwp.celebuzz.com/wp-c.../11/snorky.jpg

HappyMdRSailor 13-03-2014 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by DDabs (Post 1491194)

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb:

Saltyhog 13-03-2014 10:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cburger (Post 1490609)
What do you mean dogs don't have intelligence in their eyes, I know for sure some of the canines I have had are a lot smarter than my representatives in Congress, agree with you on the cat thing though. :popcorn:

:thumb::thumb: