Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Marine Electronics (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   Man Overboard with Auto Pilot Engaged! (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/man-overboard-with-auto-pilot-engaged-122276.html)

Collingwood5 11-03-2014 05:38

Man Overboard with Auto Pilot Engaged!

I do a lot of solo sailing and use my autopilot (Navman / wheel type)
on occasions. Is there a remote control that can be fitted to your
lifejacket to switch the autopilot off if u hit the wet stuff? Alternatively,
can a similar remote switch be carried that turns the boats power &/or
engine off in the case of an unexpected MOB???? Regards George......

Sailormantx 11-03-2014 06:35

Re: Man overboard with auto pilot engaged!!!

As a singlehander, there are no second chances. If you fall off the boat you are dead! To think otherwise is only deluding yourself. Keep that thought in mind when you are working on deck and you'll do just fine.

sailorboy1 11-03-2014 06:39

I don't know of an app, but am sure one could be made. But what good would turning off the autopilot be as the boat is still sailing away?

robert sailor 11-03-2014 06:45

I agree with the first reply, you go over its over. In many conditions you can say the same thing for husband and wife teams.

chemist 11-03-2014 08:15

Is there a remote control that can be fitted to your
lifejacket to switch the autopilot off if u hit the wet stuff?

Have a look at NKE (Home¬*-¬*nke marine electronics). NKE seems to have a "man-over-board detection system" and "crew ransmitter" that is capable of contrlling the autopilot.

From their website:
In solo mode

In case of man over board, when the boat operates under pilot, the latter operates as follows:
  • If you are equipped with an anemovane sensor, it will place the boat into the wind
  • Otherwise, it will fully turn the helm to the opposite side of where it was.
Good luck.

westwinds 11-03-2014 10:31

Re: Man Overboard with Auto Pilot Engaged!

I remember reading about a man overboard alert device hooked to a automatic pilot that can turn a sailboat upwind but cannot remember which.

Phoenician 11-03-2014 10:39

Raymarine's Lifetag will do that: it will disconnect the autopilot, automatically place the MOB coordinate on the chart (not much help if you're single handed) and sound an obnoxious alarm.

MarkJ 11-03-2014 10:54

So you hear a loud siren as the boat is sailing away?

I doubt I would live the sight of Sea Life sailing off into the distance.

StuM 11-03-2014 12:54

> and sound an obnoxious alarm

Not unlike blowing you a raspberry as it disappears into the distance?

d design 11-03-2014 15:25

More electronics means more things to go wrong. Also having that sort of system would make you less cautious when on deck. In other words, It dumbs you down just like GPS, and driverless cars. Id rather drown than have computers take over my life. But thats just me.

Moe R 11-03-2014 15:32

You could always wear a harness like in the movie "All Is Lost". ;)

gamayun 11-03-2014 15:35

This whole question violates Rule #1. Bad. Bad. Bad.

Oregon Waterman 11-03-2014 16:08

I doubt this will find any agreement but...when out singlehanded, I trail a line 250 feet out with a float at the end. I first started doing this on a little boat way back when (much shorter line). If I went over or fell off, I only had to swim sideways to get to the line and back to the boat. I don't have to keep up to the boat, just swim fast enough to catch the line. Never have used it mind you but I think its better than watching the boat sail away.

belizesailor 11-03-2014 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon Waterman (Post 1489774)
I doubt this will find any agreement but...when out singlehanded, I trail a line 250 feet out with a float at the end. I first started doing this on a little boat way back when (much shorter line). If I went over or fell off, I only had to swim sideways to get to the line and back to the boat. I don't have to keep up to the boat, just swim fast enough to catch the line. Never have used it mind you but I think its better than watching the boat sail away.

I suggest trying to hang on to this line one day with to boat moving. Over a few knots its very difficult just to hang on, much less get back to the boat.

Wolfy 11-03-2014 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oregon Waterman (Post 1489774)

Not too sure about this theory....time you re-surfaced, got orientated and started swimming like the devil to grab the 250ft line....even IF you did manage to grab on to it I very much doubt you'd be able to hold on, never mind haul yourself along to the end and hopefully climb back on board.
Even if the Boat was only doing 4 - 5 knots that's a current that even Arnold Schwarzenegger couldn't hold on to....well not for long anyway!!

I agree with an earlier post....if you go over the side while Single Handling....your DEAD:(