Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Cruising News & Events (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f106/)
-   -   Bounty sinking official report! (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f106/bounty-sinking-official-report-120559.html)

MarkJ 10-02-2014 13:12

Bounty sinking official report!

The bounty report has been released. Here is the press release

Press Release February 10, 2014

And here is the full 16 page report.
http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2014/MAB1403.pdf

Vasco 10-02-2014 13:19

Re: Bounty sinking official report!

Household silicone sealant used, amazing. On a wooden ship.

pete33458 10-02-2014 13:20

Thanks for that Mark: I've been searching periodically without finding anything.

Boy, I think they could have been a little kinder with the wording. Doesn't leave much doubt as to where they put the blame. pete

sailorboy1 10-02-2014 13:26

"A captain's "reckless decision to sail into the well-forecasted path of Hurricane Sandy" was the probable cause of the sinking of a ship off the North Carolina coast in October 2012, the National Transportation Safety Board said in a report released today"

duh!

rockDAWG 10-02-2014 14:00

Quote:

The entity that owned and operated the ship, HMS Bounty Organization, LLC, did nothing to dissuade the captain from sailing into known severe weather conditions. The NTSB said that such a lack of effective safety oversight by the vessel organization contributed to the sinking.
This statement in the report gives the proper cause for lawsuit.

sailorboy1 10-02-2014 14:03

Isn't that why they had a Captain for the boat?

ontherocks83 10-02-2014 14:05

So can the same be said about the alpha 42? They both went out in rough weather against common consensus. They both had catastrophic failures of some sort (bounty had poor maintenance, problematic dewatering pumps and known leaks, alpha went out before being fully tested).
:popcorn: :fight:

Lake-Effect 10-02-2014 14:09

Wow.

Not much wiggle-room for blame.

MarkJ 10-02-2014 14:49

The full 16 pages lays it all out, and as Pete says, it doesnt mix words.

Yep, i think the way is clear for legal cases.

The would have been stuffed in the dangerous quadrant too, but the sat pics show a bit less cloud, but the wind would have been heading them.
They were stuffed either way.

Celestialsailor 10-02-2014 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete33458 (Post 1464869)
Boy, I think they could have been a little kinder with the wording. Doesn't leave much doubt as to where they put the blame.

Two people dead. That wasn't kind either.

psneeld 10-02-2014 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete33458 (Post 1464869)
Thanks for that Mark: I've been searching periodically without finding anything.

Boy, I think they could have been a little kinder with the wording. Doesn't leave much doubt as to where they put the blame. pete

NTSB report...factual...what's NOT kind about it? The truth? At least as best as can be determined....

Pelagic 10-02-2014 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockDAWG (Post 1464893)
This statement in the report gives the proper cause for lawsuit.

I sort of remember in early reports that the Captain gave the crew the option to depart with him into heavy weather.

If that is true and each crew made the personal choice to depart on the Bounty, then the lawsuit exposure is considerably less

Sailor Doug 10-02-2014 16:34

How can you blame a inexperienced crew. The captain had good leadership skills but very poor decision making capacity. The owners where the next line of decision makings so they now own the consequences, they should have known the captains capacity.
Hardware store silicon would have most likely worked well without a hurricane.

sailorboy1 10-02-2014 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelagic (Post 1465022)
I sort of remember in early reports that the Captain gave the crew the option to depart with him into heavy weather.

If that is true and each crew made the personal choice to depart on the Bounty, then the lawsuit exposure is considerably less

the way I remember the story they had 30 minutes to decide and if they didn't go with the ship they were on their own to get home.

And the crew that this ship had wouldn't have necessary known that it was better to jump ship.

Pelagic 10-02-2014 16:46

My observation has nothing to do with blame but simply a legal limitation that if advised, each individual crew member was given the option to not sail into a named storm.