Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Boat Handling (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f90/)
-   -   Refuelling mid passage...Help please :-) (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f90/refuelling-mid-passage-help-please-119355.html)

lemondancer 22-01-2014 22:46

Refuelling mid passage...Help please :-)

Does anyone have any practical solutions for topping up my diesel tank mid passage? I have an Ericson 28 and the fuel filling cap is on the outside of the boat. Its almost impossible to lean over and pour in my jerry cans without getting fuel everywhere, or even worst, falling in! I thought about pouring the fuel directly into the tank and not using the fuel filler neck, but I just dont have the angle under the compartment seating to angle a jerry can. Is there any product available thats better than a fuel nozzle? Any thoughts / comments would be appreciated.

2Wind 22-01-2014 22:53

Re: Refuelling mid passage...Help please :-)

Will siphoning not work???

Jim Cate 22-01-2014 22:55

I have always used a siphon hose for such activities. But even using that, if there is much of a sea running it is a crapshoot! But pouring is just about impossible IMO!

Cheers,

Jim

Pelagic 22-01-2014 23:04

2 ideas Siphoning as Jim advised can work with a long hose if you buy a spare deck cap and solder a hose spigot on top to keep it water tight.
Also I don't know your configuation, but perhaps a T connection to the return line can provide you with a solution

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Blue Crab 22-01-2014 23:13

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/preparedness..._2270_68618322I paid $10 or $12 for this at Wally's. Battery-powered, it's faster than it looks, and mess-free.

BandB 22-01-2014 23:29

In addition to gravity flow and siphoning, Reverso and Jabsco make 12V and 24V transfer pumps designed for fuel. It depends on how frequently you're transferring as to whether they justify themselves over gravity and siphoning and manual pumps or not as they are not cheap. Start around $300 from what I've read.

cal40john 22-01-2014 23:29

If you can't get a siphon to work get a pump:

Hand pump example:
Beckson 109PC | Fisheries Supply

Battery powered examples:
Rule IL200P Diesel Fuel Transfer Pump 200 GPH 12v | eBay

Sierra Tools Battery-Operated Liquid Transfer Pump, Model# JB5684 | DC Powered Fuel Pumps| Northern Tool + Equipment

BandB 22-01-2014 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by cal40john (Post 1447819)

Much better choices than the ones I posted due to costs.

CarinaPDX 23-01-2014 00:29

I have used a siphon for years, but see the value of a pump.

I have never had to transfer fuel when the deck was wet so no problem with contamination. If I am motoring in calm seas then I try to take advantage of the situation to keep the tanks up and the fuel accessible, so I always have empty jugs long before the fuel is needed. Don't wait until the tanks are low.

Greg

lemondancer 23-01-2014 01:56

Thanks so much for all the comments and advice. I like those small 12v pumps, even the battery one looks interesting. I'll try ebay now! :)

steamgoat 23-01-2014 02:53

Make up a threaded fitting that will screw in when the filler cap is removed.You can make it [with screwed together fittings] any shape that will be easier to fill.

Viking Sailor 23-01-2014 02:55

Slightly off topic....

Has anyone figured out how to start siphoning with a plan old hose without sucking diesel into their mouth? I've used a siphon hose with a built-in pump and that worked ok. However, I did see a guy suck diesel into his mouth to empty a 5 gal can and it was just not the right thing to do. So, when the transfer pump dies, and the store bought siphon hose falls overboard, what would you do?

:viking:

conachair 23-01-2014 03:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viking Sailor (Post 1447867)
Slightly off topic....

Has anyone figured out how to start siphoning with a plan old hose without sucking diesel into their mouth? I've used a siphon hose with a built-in pump and that worked ok. However, I did see a guy suck diesel into his mouth to empty a 5 gal can and it was just not the right thing to do. So, when the transfer pump dies, and the store bought siphon hose falls overboard, what would you do?

:viking:

Try this.. Get a short thicker tube in addition to the smaller one you're siphoning through. Put both through the neck of the cannister and use a cloth bunched round to try and make it airtight. Then, deep breath, big blow through the thicker pipe and if the cloth makes it airtight enough the diesel will get pushed up through the smaller pipe and start siphoning :cool:
Be aware to not let the thick pipe go into the diesel in the can though, otherwise the pressure will spurt a bit through it when you stop blowing.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

noelex 77 23-01-2014 03:09

If you have a closed container like a jerry can it easy to start a syphon.
Run a long hose from the bottom of the jerry can to the fuel tank.
Put a short (six inch) hose in the top of the jerry can as well. Seal the air gap around the two hoses with a rag.

Blow down the short hose. This pressurises the container and will force the fuel out of the long hose. Once the longer pipe is filled with fuel the syphon will keep the transfer going and the short hose can be removed. You only need to blow down the short hose for a few seconds.

It works with water, fuel, or any liquid. Any hose will work.

atoll 23-01-2014 03:11

how not to suck diesel!
easy!
set up your siphon,with the tube in the bottom of the jug to be emptied,the other end of the hose in the deck filler,jam some cloth around it if the deck is getting wet.
make sure the jug is raised a foot or so above the deck.

now the best bit!,seal off the siphon tube with a rag where it comes out the jug,leave a small hole to blow through,blow into the jug,the preasure created will start the siphon.

works best with full jugs!,no messy clean up,no spitting diesel!