Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing Systems and Fixtures (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Optimaax Watermaker (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/optimaax-watermaker-119263.html)

Falshator 21-01-2014 12:02

Optimaax Watermaker

Hi there,

Has anyone had experience with the Optimaax Watermakers, looking at getting an engine driven one and any feed back on them would be appreciated,

cheers

colemj 21-01-2014 14:10

Re: Optimaax Watermaker

If you mean Aguamaax, and not Optimaax, then run away as fast as you can. You are looking at a world of hurt, problems and industry-leading bad customer treatment and service. Worse than Xantrex. Clear your browser cache, remove any cookies from them and never consider that company again.

Mark

Doe818 21-01-2014 17:44

I always think of sheep when I see aquamaaaaaax...

Falshator 21-01-2014 23:27

I meant Electromaax watermakers, sorry:)

colemj 22-01-2014 07:22

Aquamaax is Electromaax. See my previous post. Really - get anything else but that one.

Mark

SV THIRD DAY 22-01-2014 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Falshator (Post 1446465)
Hi there,

Has anyone had experience with the Optimaax Watermakers, looking at getting an engine driven one and any feed back on them would be appreciated,

cheers

For details on why you should "Run" read the horror stories from other Cruisers here.

SSCA Forum • View topic - Request for information on Aquamaax Water makers

Here is a link to our engine driven water maker and I will also be happy to send you a copy of our manual for you to review, just email me at:
Rich@cruiserowater.com
Engine Driven WaterMaker

Tellie 22-01-2014 15:03

I only come here to give advice. If you decide to contact me about a watermaker I carry fine. I have a lot of scars on my tongue from biting it when I want to jump in and correct a lot of misinformation. There are rules on CF and I try to respect them. I make every attempt not to say anything bad about any competitor. My real competitors are mostly friends I've known for awhile anyway and most of them represent good products and good service. I've seen a lot of Johnny Come Lately appear today and disappear tomorrow in this business. Most of them hell bent on price cutting the big boys. So I'll only say this once. The old adage of "You get what you pay for" in the long run can not be more true than in the watermaker industry. If you decide to price shop the cheapest piece of crap you can find and decide dollars over sense makes you wiser than those that are willing to give you hard won advice, then I wish you the best of luck. But as far as the watermaker company being discussed in this thread, Good Luck and lots of it, you'll need every bit of it and more.

SVRapture40 22-01-2014 15:45

I do not know anything about the specific brand of watermaker that you are asking about, but I have a Spectra Cape Horn and would definitely do it exactly the same way again if I had it to do over. I have friends that have engine driven units and they dread making water because they have to run their engine. It doesn't bother me in the least because I don't have to run any internal combustion engines to make water.

Just my thoughts..

Tellie 22-01-2014 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVRapture40 (Post 1447519)
I do not know anything about the specific brand of watermaker that you are asking about, but I have a Spectra Cape Horn and would definitely do it exactly the same way again if I had it to do over. I have friends that have engine driven units and they dread making water because they have to run their engine. It doesn't bother me in the least because I don't have to run any internal combustion engines to make water.

Just my thoughts..

And if you ever need any advice or help with that CHE330 just ask and shoot me a PM.

SVRapture40 23-01-2014 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tellie (Post 1447554)
And if you ever need any advice or help with that CHE330 just ask and shoot me a PM.

Thanks Tellie! Actually, I did some emailing with you before I bought my Spectra. It was about a year ago so I wouldn't expect you remember. You gave me a lot of great information that helped me to make the decision that I made. I was looking at the watermaker that wants you to use a Honda generator to run it. I was actually sold on that route at the time but thought it about it some more before I pulled the trigger and I am so glad I did.

So thank you again Tellie! Your help was invaluable in my decision.

Mike

Falshator 29-01-2014 19:32

Thanks for the input, after reading several blogs I will be looking into another company-maybe Echotec which seem to have some good reports?:)

colemj 29-01-2014 19:41

Echotec is a good company. Also consider Rich's company (post above) CruiseROwaterandpower.com

Mark

SVRapture40 31-01-2014 05:33

If you have 110 volt power readily available on your boat then I would definitely look seriously at the Cruise RO unit (I would have bought one). But I would really consider if you want to be tied to gasoline and fiddling with a Honda generator every time you make water.

colemj 31-01-2014 05:52

The OP was looking for an engine-driven model. CruiseRO also makes those, and that was what I was referring to.

Mark

Falshator 31-01-2014 19:44

Yes, looking at an engine driven so that we can run engine, make water and top up batteries to back up the solar panels:thumb: