Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/)
-   -   Stanley Paris Calls it Quits (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f129/stanley-paris-calls-it-quits-118679.html)

Horror Hotel 11-01-2014 11:49

Stanley Paris Calls it Quits

I must say I saw this coming. I was in st. Augustine when he left and nothing about his plan instilled much confidence that he would finish. The carbon free foot print claim really irritated me. I just never could get behind his plan as anything more that a personal goal. Don't get me wrong it's a hell of a challenge. But he kept talking like he was setting some record. It's all been done, several times over. If he had another person on board and a diesel he'd still be out there enjoying his circumnavigation. No matter how you slice it a rich guy in a fancy carbon boat is never going to be carbon footprint free and the more he mentioned it the more it got under my skin. I know, I know, I'm a dick. I'm fully ready to be flamed by the sail purist and enviro crowd who see his mission as a great feat. I'm not a right wing anti EPA nut or a hippy tree hugger, but I really like internal combustion. Guess I'm more of a Robert Bebee fan, I did really like the voyages of Laura Dekker and Jess Watson. This whole thing has rubbed me the wrong way from the first utterance of hydrocarbon free. It seemed to fancy from the get go, to much dependency on electric power. Seems he's not used to roughing it, a simpler boat might still be out there. If you don't want to run a genny, a electric stove is not a good choice. I'm all for rich guys in fancy boats (sail or power) doing whatever they want. Hell I hope to be there someday, but passing it off as a social cause with the carbon free bit really irks me . Yawl can shoot me now, there's gotta be at least on person who agrees with me.

jcapo 11-01-2014 11:53

Re: Stanley Paris calls it quits

Agree.

nimblemotors 11-01-2014 11:56

You are a total dick!

Because you didn't include a link to what the hell you are talking about. :)

Horror Hotel 11-01-2014 11:58

My linking skills are crap. I figured that many here know of the Stanley Paris voyage. He's had all sorts of issues and got abit hurt. I don't dislike him just his hydrocarbon claim.

Coops 11-01-2014 12:00

He did say that he is a dick, so at least you agree with him.:D

Coops.

DoubleWhisky 11-01-2014 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimblemotors (Post 1437646)
You are a total dick!

Because you didn't include a link to what the hell you are talking about. :)

This, I suppose :D

Kiwi Spirit | Dr. Stanley Paris – Kiwi Spirit, a custom designed 63-foot yacht

nimblemotors 11-01-2014 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horror Hotel (Post 1437650)
My linking skills are crap. I figured that many here know of the Stanley Paris voyage. He's had all sorts of issues and got abit hurt. I don't dislike him just his hydrocarbon claim.

Dr. Stanley Paris – Kiwi Spirit, a custom designed 63-foot yacht

What is wrong with his claim?

"one of the records I am after is to be the first to complete a circumnavigation without the use of any hydrocarbons"

That his boat was made using hydrocarbons?

DoubleWhisky 11-01-2014 12:10

Not bad boatspeed now...

Yellowbrick Tracking - YBlog - kiwispirit

OldFrog75 11-01-2014 12:51

This indicates he's quitting - heading for Cape Town:

Blog | Dr. Stanley Paris – Kiwi Spirit, a custom designed 63-foot yacht

boatman61 11-01-2014 12:56

He's just following the modern trend and forgetting KISS...:D

Coops 11-01-2014 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by nimblemotors (Post 1437661)
Dr. Stanley Paris – Kiwi Spirit, a custom designed 63-foot yacht

What is wrong with his claim?

"one of the records I am after is to be the first to complete a circumnavigation without the use of any hydrocarbons"

That his boat was made using hydrocarbons?

That does not count, apparently. :whistling:

Then when he has done the trip, he puts the luxury interior back in and has a 63' family cruising boat.

Coops.

OldFrog75 11-01-2014 13:30

Guess he should have said "...without the use of any hydrocarbon fuels."

Would that have been better?

steamgoat 11-01-2014 13:44

I dont know if you have been following his blog but he got pretty beat up last week,unable to use one arm etc, pretty tough for a 77 year old !!!!

Coops 11-01-2014 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by steamgoat (Post 1437749)
I dont know if you have been following his blog but he got pretty beat up last week,unable to use one arm etc, pretty tough for a 77 year old !!!!

To be honest I had never heard of him until this thread.

Coops.

Vasco 11-01-2014 14:14

Not bad for an old guy. I didn't follow his voyage as I got put off by the no hydrocarbon PR BS. I think some guys in the olden days in wooden Folkboats might have gone further with using fewer hydrocarbons, period!