Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/)
-   -   Auxilliary fuel for Honda 2 HP -4 stroke (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f117/auxilliary-fuel-for-honda-2-hp-4-stroke-117697.html)

cabo_sailor 25-12-2013 10:56

Auxilliary fuel for Honda 2 HP -4 stroke

I know I can use a fairly simple system to feed my Honda 2000 gen from a larger fuel tank. I don't recall anyone writing anything about using the same system to provide a larger fuel supply for my Honda 2 HP - 4 stroke. Has anyone tried this? I'm pretty sure that the fuel caps on the generator and the outboard are the same.

Rich

Stumble 25-12-2013 14:58

Re: Auxilliary fuel for Honda 2 HP -4 stroke

It depends on if the outboard has a fuel pump or just uses gravity to feed from the internal tank.

Dulcesuenos 25-12-2013 15:03

They made them for the honda generator eu2000. But different cap altogether on the ob. It would.be nice though.

a64pilot 25-12-2013 15:31

How does the aux tank work for the little Gen? Pretty sure there is no fuel pump, so I guess it has to be by siphon?

Vivid 06-05-2014 10:50

I put a valve on the end of a bulb-type gasline from a 2-1/2 gallon outboard tank and used it to pump fuel into the little tank on the Honda when empty or nearly empty. I think it took about 10 squeezes. Not as easy as having a big tank feeding the engine, but a lot easier and safer than filling the little tank with a jug. The valve just keeps the line from leaking fuel when not actually in use.

mbianka 06-05-2014 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabo_sailor (Post 1423350)
I know I can use a fairly simple system to feed my Honda 2000 gen from a larger fuel tank. I don't recall anyone writing anything about using the same system to provide a larger fuel supply for my Honda 2 HP - 4 stroke. Has anyone tried this? I'm pretty sure that the fuel caps on the generator and the outboard are the same.

Rich

I think the difference may be the Honda 2000 generator may have an electric fuel pump and the 2HP Honda Four Stroke has a gravity fed carburetor. One thing I noticed is the Honda 4 stroke outboard really sucks down fuel compared to the Honda generator.

S/V Alchemy 06-05-2014 11:14

If I recall correctly, I drove my Honda 2 HP wide open in two-foot "seas", driving my Portabote at a ripping 4.5 knots (this was entirely expected) and clocked 46 minutes to burn one litre of 87 octane-rated gasoline. Of course, I was carrying 10 litres in a little jug. Others use plastic bottles.

While I can see and appreciate an external tank for the Honda 2000 generator, I've never seen the need to modify my Honda 2, because I don't use it for extended trips. It's really for to-ing and fro-ing in a Portabote or the smallest of Zodiacs. At that it excels.