Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Meets & Greets (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/)
-   -   Enginwell? Not so well. (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f9/enginwell-not-so-well-115404.html)

JSDaia 14-11-2013 19:35

Enginwell? Not so well.

After my first season with Coronado 25 I was appalled at the condition of my trusty Honda outboard. After massive clean-up, began to think about lifting the shaft out of the water while parked.

Has anyone addressed this issue? Please reply. Thanks.:cool:

Sailmonkey 14-11-2013 19:42

99.9% of people with outboard powered boats I know lift the engine out when not actively in use.

Eumelia 14-11-2013 19:46

Re: Enginwell? Not so well.

Yes, I have my Honda 8hp in a well on my boat. I fabricated a "lift-plate" so that it slides up out of the water when I'm not using it. The mechanism has to be extremely rugged because of the forces on it. Also, I rig a 6-1 block and tackle to raise and lower the engine because it weighs 92 lbs (a little over 40 kgs). One of these days I will write up the design with some photos.

If you have your engine in a well, there's no practical way to lift the motor without a mechanism like this.

JSDaia 14-11-2013 19:51

My boat yard suggests enlarging the opening in the stern to allow tilt up with existing fittings. I'll keep you posted as well.
Thanks

GordMay 15-11-2013 04:47

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, JSDaia.

a64pilot 15-11-2013 05:37

Only time I believe you should leave it in the water is if the temp is to go below freezing

SkiprJohn 01-12-2013 14:33

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Try to get the leg out of the water after each use. It'd also be good if you could run freshwater through the system. I've seen a lot of galvanic corrosion on shafts that have not been rinsed well. Check your gear oil while you've got it up and out.

capt-couillon 02-12-2013 08:06

Your boatyards solution worked for me with a Suzuki 6. An aditional 3" out of the existing opening allowed me to tilt the engine all the way out of the water when not in use. Before you start chopping out to clear the shaft, make sure the powerhead will tilt down far enough to make use of your new enlarged opening.

ravinracin 25-02-2014 11:13

Eumelia, Hi I have a Del Rey 24, similar boat to yours. Presently I have a bracket attached to the aft hull for my outboard. I see in my lazerette Del Rey reinforced the area so you could open the hull for an outboard. It seems this is where your outboard sits. Could you send pics or drawings? I am moving my outboard to the well. Thanks. I am restoring my boat now and hopefully will get her in the water this summer.