Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Marine Electronics (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   Monitor for On-Board Comp (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/monitor-for-on-board-comp-112829.html)

Dockhead 07-10-2013 02:18

Monitor for On-Board Comp

I'm still struggling to find the right monitor for my boat. I bought a 23" desktop monitor -- the smallest for sale off the rack in Southampton with a digital (HDMI and/or DVI) input.

It's far too big :(

I need something probably 14" to 17", with a digital input, and with the possibility of rigidly mounting it to a horizontal surface (which I know I can do separately with some kind of VESA mount).

I have not been able to find anything suitable. There is a new crop of USB monitors in the right size, but I'm not sure this is what I want.

Anyone struggle with this issue?

Tymadman 07-10-2013 02:23

How about an iPad? There are apps available which allow the iPad to be used as a monitor for your PC.

Dockhead 07-10-2013 03:21

Re: Monitor for On-Board Comp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tymadman (Post 1358166)
How about an iPad? There are apps available which allow the iPad to be used as a monitor for your PC.

I have an IPad on board, but it's a bit small for this purpose.

I have seen really good flexible stalk mounts for IPads which would be terrific for this application, but -- 10" is too small, and also, running a monitor emulator app is going to be too kludgy. If I'm willing to give up the normal digital input, then probably one of those new USB monitors would be a better solution, but I can't quite given up yet.

Ideal would be 15" or 16", widescreen, very light, high res, LED backlight, digital inputs.

Can't seem to find such a beast :(

Tymadman 07-10-2013 03:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dockhead (Post 1358191)
I have an IPad on board, but it's a bit small for this purpose. I have seen really good flexible stalk mounts for IPads which would be terrific for this application, but -- 10" is too small, and also, running a monitor emulator app is going to be too kludgy. If I'm willing to give up the normal digital input, then probably one of those new USB monitors would be a better solution, but I can't quite given up yet. Ideal would be 15" or 16", widescreen, very light, high res, LED backlight, digital inputs. Can't seem to find such a beast :(

While you're looking you could give the iPad a try for only a few dollars.

forsailbyowner 07-10-2013 03:57

look toward the automotive and rv world, I bought a 19" flat panel lcd for around $129. Has usb hdmi and vga connections and runs off 12v. There are 12v tvs from 7" on up that have vga/hdmi. Something like this

AC DC 12 Volt Multi Use Cord 13" Portable LED LCD Digital TV Television HDTV New | eBay

and why not have a tv tuner built in also? Which computer are you using? I chose a zbox with the atom processor,its touted as one of the lowest power consumption for processing power units out there. Im going to start playing with the raspberry pi when I get some other projects done.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zotac-Zbox-D...item19e2e45c4b

scoobert 07-10-2013 03:59

if i didnt own 4 monitors already, i would go with a touchscreen...
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Monitors, Touchscreen Monitors, 15", 17", 15.6"
you can keep the keyboard hidden until you need it, mouse too.

Opie91 07-10-2013 04:13

I was trying to do the same thing as you and eventually settled for a monitor with a VGA input instead of digital.

Hanns-G HL161ABB Black 15.6" 16ms Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 200 cd/m2 500:1 - Newegg.com

Wraith_Mac 07-10-2013 05:34

Here's a couple of examples that may help in your search,
ITM-5115 - 15" XGA Industrial LED Monitor with Fully Flat Resistive Touchscreen - Advantech
G615HDPL - LCD Monitors - Products | BenQ Global
Cheers,
Mac

W32PAMELA 07-10-2013 05:49

+1 for the HannsG if it is available in the EU. If you don't have a VGA output there are some inexpensive HDMI to VGA adapters. I've used this one from Amazon.

Dockhead 07-10-2013 05:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraith_Mac (Post 1358232)

Thanks!

The Advantec is nice looking industrial monitor, but costs $700!

The BenQ is VGA only like a number of others I've found.

One option is to just give in and use the analogue interface, as someone above suggested.

conachair 07-10-2013 05:58

Doesn't tick many of your boxes but Samsung do a 19"

http://m.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-.../LS19B150NS/EN

Runs fine straight off 12v. You'd still need a hdmi/vga converter and something to mount it.

Wraith_Mac 07-10-2013 06:06

Dockhead,
Sorry, meant to link this one below, not the BenQ
Orion Images Corporation, Manufacturing LCD CCTV Monitor
Cheers,
Mac

Dockhead 07-10-2013 06:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraith_Mac (Post 1358252)
Dockhead,
Sorry, meant to link this one below, not the BenQ
Orion Images Corporation, Manufacturing LCD CCTV Monitor
Cheers,
Mac

Very nice!

But $1,200! Ouch!

Dockhead 07-10-2013 06:25

I might be in love:

PRODUCT- Gechic Corporation

widescreen 15.6" touch screen

USB powered (no need to rig any power supply; just connect it to the computer with a USB cable)

HDMI input

VESA mounting

ultrathin

extremely high resolution (full HD)

Reasonably affordable ($400).

looks just about perfect!

Dockhead 18-10-2013 13:26

Ultimate boat computer monitor VESA 100 Kit for On Lap 1502-Accelerate the Power of Touch Monitor - YouTube