Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Liveaboard's Forum (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/)
-   -   New galley Oven/Stove Suggestions (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f74/new-galley-oven-stove-suggestions-105151.html)

SV Demeter 06-06-2013 18:47

New galley Oven/Stove Suggestions
 
Our seaward model 2182 oven has never been great for baking even with a stone oven temps were always all over the place. Now it appears as though the thermostat has died as the burner never goes off so temps just climb and climb. I have an email in to the ever helpful folks at suremarineservices.com who helped me convert to LPG a while back but I'm considering replacing the stove as we like to bake bread and other oven goodies and are hoping there is a better product out there.

Not really sure what other brands are available besides force 10, eno ( force 10 with more shiny bits) and seaward?

Suggestions from happy liveaboards who like to bake appreciated!

Delfin 06-06-2013 18:57

Re: New galley oven/stove suggestions
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SV Demeter (Post 1254336)
Our seaward model 2182 oven has never been great for baking even with a stone oven temps were always all over the place. Now it appears as though the thermostat has died as the burner never goes off so temps just climb and climb. I have an email in to the ever helpful folks at suremarineservices.com who helped me convert to LPG a while back but I'm considering replacing the stove as we like to bake bread and other oven goodies and are hoping there is a better product out there.

Not really sure what other brands are available besides force 10, eno ( force 10 with more shiny bits) and seaward?

Suggestions from happy liveaboards who like to bake appreciated!

If I could have talked my wife into it, I would have gone for the Wallas diesel stove, but she thought the oven too small. Not so sure about that, unless cooking 20 lb turkeys are a regular menu item. What I like about them is that they are very quiet, very clean and use diesel. If you weren't in the Carib, you would also appreciate an option that they have to use the same unit as a cabin heater. Unlike what one normally thinks of as a diesel stove, this one doesn't heat anything except the oven box, or the two burners on the top. We had one, sans oven, on a smaller lobster boat and it supplied all the heat we needed for the cabin plus was a splendid cook top.

For propane, we used the Force 10 for 20 years without a problem, although all of the typical propane oven/stoves for boats are kind of cheaply made, IMO.

Wallas Heater | Boat | Stoves | Cooking Equipment | ScanMarineUSA.com

SV Demeter 06-06-2013 19:24

Thanks. Not likely going the diesel route just yet. Focusing on LPG stoves for now.

MarkJ 06-06-2013 19:29

Re: New galley oven/stove suggestions
 
I have Eno and its great. It replaced an old Eno so it was my choice.

It's never gone wrong.... Mind you it tends to burn a roast when I am drunk.

SV Demeter 06-06-2013 19:34

Thanks mark. Oven has acceptable temperature regulation I take it? That's been our trouble with trying to bake stuff. We added a ceramic pizza stone which helped some but now the thermostat appears to e on the fritz.

BTW thanks again for the charts you gave me in st Martin. As it turned out we decided to stay south and are going thru the work permit process in BVI as I found work.

jackdale 06-06-2013 19:59

Re: New galley oven/stove suggestions
 
I like stoves that have an easy to clean cooking surface and an oven that has racks with lips and a door that swings under the unit. I lean toward Force 10.

MarkJ 06-06-2013 20:09

Re: New galley oven/stove suggestions
 
Congrats on the work!

No, the over doesnt have good temp regulation. I put an oven thermometer in it at times... But really its just guess work. The thermometer doesn't fit when you put in the baking try. Lol

I haven't seen a gas stove with temp gauges. There must be a reason as you would expect all to have them.


All the best


Mark

jackdale 06-06-2013 20:15

Re: New galley oven/stove suggestions
 
A significant consideration will be size. Make sure it will fit.

SV Demeter 09-06-2013 19:41

Thanks all. Sounding like force 10 may be the way to go. Certainly some thing easier to clean than what we have now! Still waiting to hear about a good oven tho.

Teknav 09-06-2013 20:01

Re: New galley oven/stove suggestions
 
Whatever happened to the days of alcohol burners? Sniff! <Showing my age.> Cooking anything took longer time, but I was never in a hurry to do anything; I was on vacation. <Don't ask me to do a damn thing; retired!> :whistling: :D

Mauritz

jackdale 09-06-2013 21:07

Re: New galley oven/stove suggestions
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teknav (Post 1256539)
Whatever happened to the days of alcohol burners? Sniff! <Showing my age.> Cooking anything took longer time, but I was never in a hurry to do anything; I was on vacation. <Don't ask me to do a damn thing; retired!> :whistling: :D

Mauritz

Flaring and high humidity. :whistling:

Antares 09-06-2013 21:20

Re: New galley oven/stove suggestions
 
We have an older ENO. Although it does not have auto regulation it does have an oven burner that is a long arc instead of a stove type local hot spot. Use of an oven thermometer and letting the temp settle in at a given flame height has given very acceptable results with out the hot spots we have previously experienced.

I credit the shape/length of the burner credit for our satisfaction. The new ones may have regulation, but I would check the oven burner configuration on any new stove. That has been the difference in my mind.

mub 15-06-2013 02:48

I was at a recent gathering and I asked about people stoves.
Cos i have an older force 10 and I can't cook anything reliably in it.

The only propane one that anyone confessed to be happy with was a Dickerson built model.

The cook on the boat said it was way better than the force 10 that they took out.

The only people I know who sing about their cook stoves use diesel.

Sig marine, Dickerson and wallas are the choices I know of.
Wallas has the advantage of a balanced flue like their heaters. The other two require vertical stacks.

I have cooked on a SIG diesel stove and it was good... But then I grew up cooking on an aga.. So may be it was just familiar to me.


Mub

cheoah 15-06-2013 06:52

I love my force 10. It must be 25 years old but we eat well at anchor. I do not do much baking but as far as I can tell, with some babysitting and something like a stone, it would do just fine. I've kept it at 350-375 for other stuff for long periods, like roasting a bird.

Good luck-

Delfin 15-06-2013 08:22

Re: New galley oven/stove suggestions
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mub (Post 1260930)
I was at a recent gathering and I asked about people stoves.
Cos i have an older force 10 and I can't cook anything reliably in it.

The only propane one that anyone confessed to be happy with was a Dickerson built model.

The cook on the boat said it was way better than the force 10 that they took out.

The only people I know who sing about their cook stoves use diesel.

Sig marine, Dickerson and wallas are the choices I know of.
Wallas has the advantage of a balanced flue like their heaters. The other two require vertical stacks.

I have cooked on a SIG diesel stove and it was good... But then I grew up cooking on an aga.. So may be it was just familiar to me.


Mub

Yup. The Wallas stove pretty much has no flaws other than the oven box is smallish. Zero external heat, clean quiet forced exhaust, heats up very quickly and, only if you want it to, provides additional cabin heat with optional equipment. Glass top provides a usable working surface that is also easy to keep clean. Uses fuel you already have, so no lugging propane bottles around. Propane produces moisture when it burns in an environment that is already too damp, is a heavier than air gas that can collect in the bilge and has been known to blow your boat up into shards the size of golf balls.

But other than that, propane is way better than a diesel Wallas.:whistling:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:42.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.