Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Marine Electronics (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/)
-   -   AIS and AM FM (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/ais-and-am-fm-104420.html)

CampDavid 26-05-2013 09:09

AIS and AM FM

I have a RAYMARINE AIS 250, which has a AM-FM antenna feed from a BNC connector, The VHF is all 50 ohm coax, a standard AM FM antenna wire is RG61 which is 91 ohm. The radio ( AM FM ) has a standard Motorola plug connection.

What type of cable should I use to connect the two together and get the best AM-FM reception from my dedicated AIS antenna?

Fletch

Paul Elliott 26-05-2013 11:30

Re: AIS and AM FM

I suppose I would find a 91 Ohm cable with a Motorola plug on it, and attach a BNC to the other. If the BNC won't fit on the cable (I've never tried it), I would probably sacrifice a BNC cable (50 Ohm) by cutting it short and soldering the 50 Ohm cable to the 91 Ohm cable. Use heat-shrink, or even electrical tape, and it's going to work well enough for receiving AM and FM.

If there is a proper cable available, I hope someone can tell us both about it.

beneteau-500 26-05-2013 11:45

i have the same set up as you standard horizon vhf and a pioneer mwh 1400 am/fm radio with mp3/iphone plug ins connected through AIS250 the vhf cable was in the yacht when i bought it so thats 20 yrs old i guess and i just went to local car Audio shop and got a standard 500mm bayonet connection plug in cable from them and it works perfectly i have no interference when am/fm is on with vhf

S/V Alchemy 27-05-2013 06:37

Not sure that I would do this, personally. The AM/FM needs would be satisfied by a separate whip antenna on a spreader or stern rail, leaving a mast top antenna for AIS. That would be my preference, as I would want to see tankers with a close approach more eagerly than hearing the sports scores or the music of someone else's life.

I have also been persuaded that separate AIS and VHF antennas are a best practice, even if not strictly necessary, but that is a different topic.

goboatingnow 27-05-2013 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy (Post 1245107)
Not sure that I would do this, personally. The AM/FM needs would be satisfied by a separate whip antenna on a spreader or stern rail, leaving a mast top antenna for AIS. That would be my preference, as I would want to see tankers with a close approach more eagerly than hearing the sports scores or the music of someone else's life.

I have also been persuaded that separate AIS and VHF antennas are a best practice, even if not strictly necessary, but that is a different topic.

Theres no issue, the AIS antenna will provide a fine AM feed , as would a length of chicken wire!. after all its only AIS receive,

OP any old co-ax will do for the antenna feed wire from the AIS to teh AM radio , an old coat hanger would do nicely as well.!!

Dave

S/V Alchemy 27-05-2013 20:59

Oh, if it's only receive, fine. Coat hanger with tinfoil tendrils for speed.