Cruisers & Sailing Forums (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Fishing, Recreation & Fun (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f61/)
-   -   Go Pro HERO3 black edition? (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f61/go-pro-hero3-black-edition-101390.html)

CAELESTIS 06-04-2013 12:15

Go Pro HERO3 black edition?
 
Anyone out there using one? Have they solved the freezing/poor battery life issues?

Please advise.

keepondancin 06-04-2013 13:28

Re: Go Pro HERO3 black edition?
 
I started kayak fishing, catch and release, I just skip the first part and don't catch. Kayak fishing tounaments have participants photograph the catch and release. Check kayak fishing forums and websites and you will find a lot of opinions, including other options.

rebel heart 06-04-2013 19:36

Re: Go Pro HERO3 black edition?
 
I've had too many problems with too many gopros and at this point the company is a joke. The nickle and dime pricing scheme, releasing garbage products and offering terrible support. I've made dozens of videos on surfboards, paddleboards, motorcycles, scuba diving, sky diving, and just farting around.

Try the contour. I'm done with gopro until they not only fix their cameras but they fix their arrogance in treating customers like crap and ignoring problems. The contour is great. The only thing it doesn't do much better on is really high angle stuff like mounting it on a short board nose to capture surfing.

Amazon.com: Contour ROAM2 Waterproof Video Camera (Black): Camera & Photo

Richard_W 06-04-2013 19:52

Re: Go Pro HERO3 black edition?
 
Thanks for heads up guys ... I had GoPro in my shopping cart on Amazon already. I like the Contour suggestion ... need to read up more but I already like what I see, especially: Waterproof without a case Good things come in small packages ... :)

rebel heart 06-04-2013 19:58

Re: Go Pro HERO3 black edition?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard_W (Post 1204460)
Thanks for heads up guys ... I had GoPro in my shopping cart on Amazon already. I like the Contour suggestion ... need to read up more but I already like what I see, especially: Waterproof without a case Good things come in small packages ... :)

There are people with gopros that don't have problems, but there are many (like me) who have had problems and as a company they offer zilch in terms of support. They also prune any negative reviews off of their forum, which is pretty telling. You can read the amazon reviews to get a gist of everything.

Regarding the contour, it's waterproof to like 3' without the "real" waterproof housing. But unlike gopro pricing, the waterproof housing for a contour (for scuba and real underwater stuff) is maybe $30. It also comes with a few dessecant pouches for free, which again gopro charges separately for.

The contour also mounts to a tripod out of the box and has much better battery life. They are different cameras to be sure: if gopro was a different company with better service I'd stay with them for life. But by the time you're all in with gopro for all the mounts and doodad accessories you're probably at $500 which wouldn't be so bad if the thing would even turn on.

sabray 06-04-2013 20:06

Re: Go Pro HERO3 black edition?
 
have you used the prior version. If yes was it a good experience or bad. Looks like they over packed the new version. Would you but another hero2?

rebel heart 06-04-2013 20:16

Re: Go Pro HERO3 black edition?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sabray (Post 1204466)
have you used the prior version. If yes was it a good experience or bad. Looks like they over packed the new version. Would you but another hero2?

I had a hero960 which was fine (I think that was the model number). I upgraded to a hero2 which was great until I lost it scuba diving, then replaced it with one that was fine for about six months until it started failing. Wouldn't boot, would shut off randomly, etc. Got a hero3 and had problems right out of the box, mailed it back to amazon for a full refund.

I don't baby my gear but I don't abuse it either. With a bad 2 and the 3 failing right out of the box I'm done with gopro for a while.

mbianka 06-04-2013 20:33

Re: Go Pro HERO3 black edition?
 
I have a GoPro Hero which has worked OK but, is a PITA to change things on the fly. Spent several days trying to get the remote to work and like Rebel Heart says customer service help was pitiful. I also have a Swann which is a GoPro knockoff. A lot cheaper and comes loaded with accessories like LCD screen and remote. Also allows you a to make a choice between shooting video or taking a photo via two separate buttons which is very handy.

NorthPacific 06-04-2013 22:02

Re: Go Pro HERO3 black edition?
 
I got a aztack Action Pro. Same deal but cheaper and with an LCD back, laser thingy, and remote. Sounds like the swan.

Does what it should do for very little money. MAy have a look at a contour. 2 problems. one is the camera can not be turned off and on when it is in its housing.

2 spare batteries are hard to find.

JRM 06-04-2013 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by rebel heart (Post 1204445)
Try the contour. I'm done with gopro until they not only fix their cameras but they fix their arrogance in treating customers like crap and ignoring problems. The contour is great. The only thing it doesn't do much better on is really high angle stuff like mounting it on a short board nose to capture surfing.

Amazon.com: Contour ROAM2 Waterproof Video Camera (Black): Camera & Photo

Second the vote for Contour. Chose it because it was so much more low profile mounting under the brim of my helmet, turns out it's a great camera. Picture is awesome outdoors, pretty good indoors, and decent in low-light. The slide rail mounting bits are handy, even the waterproof case has them. Oh, and the laser thingy for leveling is right handy.

I only wish I was wearing it today, would have got some insane footage at work.

JRM

Richard_W 07-04-2013 08:49

Re: Go Pro HERO3 black edition?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbianka (Post 1204488)
I also have a Swann which is a GoPro knockoff. A lot cheaper and comes loaded with accessories like LCD screen and remote. Also allows you a to make a choice between shooting video or taking a photo via two separate buttons which is very handy.

I have been reading the reviews, watching YT videos, and the Swann gets good reviews ... comparable video quality, better functionality, load of accessories comes with it including underwater case, and at 1/3 of GoPro cost. No problem finding a spare battery. Thinking ... :whistling:

mr336 07-04-2013 09:24

Re: Go Pro HERO3 black edition?
 
I have the HD3 and it came with all the battery problems. Silly company releasing a product with these issues. The latest firmware didnt solve my issue. HD2 works good from my experience. No more Go Pro purchases here.

SVNeko 07-04-2013 09:45

Re: Go Pro HERO3 black edition?
 
black edition is far more camera than the casual user needs. If you're gonna get one, save some money and get the silver or white one.

dan360 07-04-2013 10:15

Re: Go Pro HERO3 black edition?
 
Interesting, I've never had any problems with my Go-Pro (an original HD). I upgraded to it from a Contour which kept falling apart. Mine has been underwater snorkeling, filmed my transatlantic sail, and done great duty in my race cars, and also been clamped with a suction cup to the outside of a formula car at 150+mph and survived it all.

rebel heart 07-04-2013 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan360 (Post 1204819)
Interesting, I've never had any problems with my Go-Pro (an original HD). I upgraded to it from a Contour which kept falling apart. Mine has been underwater snorkeling, filmed my transatlantic sail, and done great duty in my race cars, and also been clamped with a suction cup to the outside of a formula car at 150+mph and survived it all.

I had great luck with mine as well, but the newer models and the company's trajectory frankly are terrible.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:12.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.