Old 06-10-2015, 10:53   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Your Ship's Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Ours pretty much sleeps, eats or hunts.

I'm a dog person.... But a few months into cruising, my wife talked me into getting a cat while we were still in the states. Now, I couldn't imagine life without her (the cat) on board. She brings great entertainment on passage....

Matt
LOL. Glad you have the same ships cat experiences that make it really worthwhile! Those are awesome pics!

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 13:26   #17

Boat: 1979 Watkins 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I need advice from boat cat owners......What is the best way to keep your cat off of my boat at a Marina?

When you are not around they will try to explore my boat, digging their claws into my bright work when jumping up or down, using my canvas and lines as a scratch pad, shedding hair and whatever..... ?

I don't hate cats, but I choose not to have them on board and yet some owners think it is cute when their kitty goes exploring.......

Most owners are good and control them when they are there, but it is the ones that are left to wander that irritate me.

What is the best way to dissuade an unwanted visitor from visiting your boat?
Try sprinkling some cayenne or hotter pepper where the cat gets on board the burning sensation will likely dissuade the cat from doing it again.

Old 22-10-2015, 16:31   #18
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Thanks.....that is what I was looking for
Old 22-10-2015, 17:26   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadc View Post
Try sprinkling some cayenne or hotter pepper where the cat gets on board the burning sensation will likely dissuade the cat from doing it again.
I'm not so sure about that. My kitties just ignored the stuff even licking it out of their paws and fur. Just another kitty adventure.....Foil, another common recommendation, actually became a favorite texture of one of my cats.

I had cats all my life and we never found anything that would dissuade them for more than a minute. As soon as the initial surprise wore off it was always back to business as usual.

Interestingly, a recent article claimed that cats like the people who ignore them most. Too much friendly, smothering, attention may actually be better as a deterrent than anything else!
Old 22-10-2015, 17:55   #20
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I do like cats and have had my own..... It is just that when I am not on board, they will come onto my yacht and with their claws, do damage to my finish.

It is the less involved Owners that I have problems with as their cats seem to be a bit wilder and poorly groomed.

I remember a Vet once recommending Eucalyptus oil to keep my cat from bothering it's new stitches.

Is there something non harmful that can keep the cats off my boat at a marina?
Old 22-10-2015, 18:09   #21

Quote:
I don't know if this will help...but cats don't like to walk on chickenwire.

My neigbor's cats were using the dirt under my deck as a litter box. Was told about chicken wire and seems to have worked. Problem is I don't know how you could use chicken wire on a boat to solve your problem.
Old 23-10-2015, 04:48   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I'm not so sure about that. My kitties just ignored the stuff even licking it out of their paws and fur. Just another kitty adventure.....Foil, another common recommendation, actually became a favorite texture of one of my cats.

I had cats all my life and we never found anything that would dissuade them for more than a minute. As soon as the initial surprise wore off it was always back to business as usual.

Interestingly, a recent article claimed that cats like the people who ignore them most. Too much friendly, smothering, attention may actually be better as a deterrent than anything else!
True nothing like that is for certain it may or may not work. It would work on my cat that or a loud shrieking alarm other than those two things not much dissuades him from his goal.
Old 23-10-2015, 04:51   #23

Quote:
Put some food or catnip on someone else's boat
Old 23-10-2015, 07:27   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
I need advice from boat cat owners......What is the best way to keep your cat off of my boat at a Marina?
Get a Yorkshire Terrier, not very smart little dogs, but fierce and protective as can be, they wouldn't let anything on "their" boat.
Old 23-10-2015, 08:25   #25
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Get a Yorkshire Terrier, not very smart little dogs, but fierce and protective as can be, they wouldn't let anything on "their" boat.
Yeah, but the guy doesn't seem to want hair, scratches, and whatnot in his boat--probably not a pet owner going there or someone with an amazingly "delicate" boat...

Besides, the Yorkie would be 1. yapping in a way to bother other boaters near and far and 2. a quick meal for birds of prey and in peril due to raccoons, large cats (um, many are bigger than a little Yorkie), and other creatures.

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: