Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 12:54   #91

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
@Herreshoff quote:

Truer words were never said.

Is it Ok to assume that richer folks spend more than poorer folks?

...and then, if you're poor - either get rich, or get a life!

or die, trying to do it
Old 05-08-2010, 02:24   #92

how much is rougly

it might be a little of topic still would like to ask how much is it on avarage to moor a 27" in europe and in countries of 3 world asia etc how much would it be for a such boat to go through suez canal/panama canal can i stay overnight for free for example i travel from marina to marina only in day time moring to harbour master or otjer place of this weather for the night for example because i am traveling alone and because of safety reasons i want to spend the night in the harbour so are the obliged to provide me with a mooring without fee
lokas0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:44   #93

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokas0506 View Post
... it might be a little of topic still would like to ask how much is it on avarage to moor a 27" in europe and in countries of 3 world asia etc how much would it be for a such boat to go through suez canal/panama canal can i stay overnight for free for example i travel from marina to marina only in day time moring to harbour master or otjer place of this weather for the night for example because i am traveling alone and because of safety reasons i want to spend the night in the harbour so are the obliged to provide me with a mooring without fee...
EU High 60 EUR per day (say e.g. some marinas in the Baleares) Low 0 EUR per day (some anchorages). Average 30 EUR per day. Avoid averages. Many places charge 6-12 EUR in low season, more in high season. Monthly will work out at 100-300 EUR in many locations, including the discount if you pre-pay.

There is no rule that says that a harbour is obliged to provide you with a free mooring, safety reasons or otherwise. Life saving is free, berthing is not.

b.
EU
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:53   #94

Doh, Lokas:

If you are on a tight budget then avoid marinas altogether - plan your trip so that you can use existing anchorages to the max.

You may be able to use some marina facilities free - especially if you tie to the fuel dock and use the facilities while the fuel guys fill your tank. This can be sometimes done early or late during the day when there is little traffic at the dock.

Occasionally, you might find a free berth tied to a fishing boat (beware they may be leaving earlier than you) or a working boat in harbours without marina facilities - but always make sure it is OK with the boat's owner and the harbourmaster.

In any case marina fees can easily exceed your other type of monthly spending, so, if you can anchor and find a safe anchorage - just avoid marinas.

b.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:33   #95

The Panama Canal has a minimum USD 500 fee I believe.

There is a Marina website with all their rates that people in thread might find interesting. It is based in Margarita Island off the coast of Venezuela (I know, we all think lowly of Chavez, but the Venezuelian people are nice people). The point is Venezuela is supposed to be an affordable country, their rates for boats less then 40ft are USD 450/m and USD 676/m if a Catamaran. Over 40ft they charge USD 11.30/ft/m and USD 16,9/ft/m respectively, meaning that a 45footer will pay USD 507/m and USD 760/m if multihull.
And remember that anything that has the word MARINE in it is at least 50% more expensive. Marine air-conditioning, Marine refrigeration, Marine Wind Charger and so on.
BTW, I am not trying to discourage anybody but we have to be realistic. If someone buys an RV to go cross country the costs will be very different if he buys a small Camper and sleeps in gas stations next to small towns around the country compared to someone that buys a USD 1 million RV and stays at the best RV camps and visits the best parks and jet sets in the largest cities.
It all depends on your lifestyle and means, I cheer both kinds of cruisers. Only one thing is certain, the larger the boat and the more systems you have in it the more expensive it will be to maintain. Get a West Marine Catalog and check out Anchor prices for a 35ft boat compared to a 40ft boat, yes it doubles!!!! So does the chain, sheets, etc. And as seen above so does the Marina space, and in that case the Catamaran gets another 50% penalty!!!!
The RV example is a very realistic one because cruising on a boat is exactly the same as camping on an RV, where you do it is what changes, water vs. land. If you RV in France or Cruise in France you will be bound to France's cost of living, the only thing you will not be paying is rent (if you are lucky to moore or park outside and RV park).
Good luck to all!!
Augusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:52   #96

what is 450/m and what is RV sory for my english cheers
lokas0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:19   #97

USD 450/m is, fourhundred and fifty dollars per month, basically the monthly rent. RV means Recreational Vehicle, can be a small camper or a USD 1 million bus turned into a nice condo, check RV Online® Used RVs for sale, Used Motorhomes, RV's, Fifth Wheels, Travel Trailers, Used Campers, and Used RVs and you will understand what I mean.

Cheers.
Augusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:38   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post

... their rates for boats less then 40ft are USD 450/m ...
Not exactly cheap if you have a 27'-er. I am charged a third of that in a relatively nice EU place.

Also, consider this, before you commit:

" ... ONSA - For Maritime Safety in Venezuela
ONSA - the non-governmental national organization for search and rescue and maritime safety in the aquatic spaces of Venezuela – publish a "Risk Zones" map. They recommend that visiting cruisers view the map before deciding where to cruise in Venezuela. The areas where recent attacks have taken place are classed by ONSA as "High Risk Zones". View the map here.
For further details about ONSA and who to contact in case of emergency in Venezuela, view the noonsite article here..."

(source: Noonsite) picture - attached

I mean to say not all that cheap and definitely not safe.

b.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	venezpiracy.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	18368  
Old 14-08-2010, 12:56   #99
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
In re schooling the children: does your present school system have am absentee program you get free or for a fee? Some school systems do. Ask. The advantage would be continuity for the children and perhaps a cost savings for you.