Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2010, 12:55   #61
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Heres one someone posted today that i like

Sailing, Simplicity, and the Pursuit of Happiness
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 13:37   #62

Boat: PETERSON 44
Oh my god there is spam and adds stuff all over the side of my cruisers forum. And yeah I figured out how to not look at it. I dont look at it. Stay tuned cause Im about to get my own blog " Me and a younger women cruise somewhere while cooking omletts" The omlette cruise" which will feature fresh cut mushrooms green peppers and unborn chickens which will be beaten and then poured into a hot pan, Take that world cruise 2010. I hope that people wont be to offended.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 16:48   #63

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldtour201 View Post
Vic, It's a Canon Eos 450 D. You can get a new one with basic lens for around 500 US dollars right now. Added to that we have some extra lenses for macro, landscape images etc. With a professional camera you can create wonders.
Thanks Taru,

I'll look at pricing here, or duty free next time we head out someplace.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 17:00   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
VirtualVagabond - Some very good points, and as one of those mid 30s I guess I kind of fall on the fence. Take out the part about eggs coming from cartons and I think the gap actually falls at a much lower age these days. Yeah everything now seems to be about image, which I'm not a big fan of either.

But I completely disagree about the Photoshop comments, though. Yes everything is airbrushed to death now a days. But as a tech nerd, who's been shooting all digital for 7+ years, I don't see anything in there that looks Photoshoped. Yes it is actually possible to get a good image right out of a camera...even a digital one.

Fair comment. I'm a bit of a... "so, where do you put in the key to wind it?" kinda tragic, but I was in the publishing game until about 8 years ago. Fairly boring, corporate stuff. We were just starting to be able to use digital images then.

Taru is using a Canon Eos 450 D, and mentioned you can pick one up for around US$500. Sounds pretty good to me. You using similar equipment, or any other recomendations? Of course the cost is going to be in the lenses, I imagine...

Old 31-07-2010, 17:59   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Lets write the spam and blog content off to inexperience, and just see how they do.
Good idea Salty.

I know I've been fairly vocal on this too, and I'm sure they're smart and will have got the message. I guess they will decide if they are going to continue with a style that caters more for a realtively small, younger set, or adopt a style that has appeal to the much bigger, 'more mature', serious cruiser demographic.
Their call.

I really enjoy the ongoing, spin off comments and byways when a thread like this develops... often more interesting than where it all started.

Now, there was going to be a lynching and I don't want to miss it... seeing as Gord and I were spared, I'll invite him over... I've still some of Doodles popcorn here.
So Vasco and Salty, it's been nice knowing you... put on a good show will you...
Popcorn Gord...?

Old 31-07-2010, 18:39   #66
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
The only thread of Taru's that was removed was the one that was so filled with unpleasantness that we removed it to clean it up. Taru restarted her post, kindly relieving us of the task of removing all the nasty posts.

Other than this post she has started three others. Hardly a blanket spam across the site that some are accusing her of.

I'll make a note that a portion of the site members here only approve of old, old school, boring posts and blogs and that being young and attractive and fun is clearly a HUGE personal failing on the part of any sailor worth their salt.

I read the sniveling here and wonder what you all expect? Should they put on old or ugly masks? Take dull out of focus pictures? Only post about the hard part of their lives?

Don't like slick blogs? Fine, don't go look at them. Think Taru may only be a flyby member who doesn't contribute regularly? Gee after the welcome she has gotten from some it wouldn't be any wonder if she did... Talk about self fulfilling prophesies... I am impressed and happy she has retained her sense of perspective and humour and continued to post.

And if she doesn't, well she will be in good company. Many people come here a few times and then don't drift back in often. I haven't seen others coming in for this preemptive strike of complaints.

Keep it pleasant or go play in a different thread, one that is more to your liking.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 18:47   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I'll make a note that a portion of the site members here only approve of old, old school, boring posts and blogs and that being young and attractive and fun is clearly a HUGE personal failing on the part of any sailor worth their salt.

I read the sniveling here and wonder what you all expect? Should they put on old or ugly masks? Take dull out of focus pictures? Only post about the hard part of their lives?

Keep it pleasant or go play in a different thread, one that is more to your liking.
Sara, I would suggest you follow your own advice. I find your post somewhat disconcerting.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 18:59   #68
cruiser

and fascist.

I gave an example of a young blog I thought wasnt' fuddy duddy and full of life

Here she is again

http://sailingsimplicity.com/
Old 31-07-2010, 19:00   #69

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Sara, I would suggest you follow your own advice. I find your post somewhat disconcerting.
Agreed. Once again Sara you come in a take a few swipes then tell everyone to be nice or go elsewhere. You need to take you own advice and act more like the moderator you are suppose to be.
Old 31-07-2010, 19:07   #70
cruiser

heh...this is crazy.

I will say the "politically correct" lecturing is nauseating.
Old 31-07-2010, 19:08   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually, as a moderator it is my job to come in and say *be nice or go play elsewhere*

The member's job is to be polite to start with so that I, or one of the other mods, don't have too...]

And there is nothing politically correct about good manners.

Old 31-07-2010, 19:09   #72
cruiser

Really, and your personal comments are 'be nice etc"?

"I'll make a note that a portion of the site members here only approve of old, old school, boring posts and blogs and that being young and attractive and fun is clearly a HUGE personal failing on the part of any sailor worth their salt."

Riiiiight.
Old 31-07-2010, 19:20   #73

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Salty,

That was what's commonly called irony, and was a general comment in response to the very personal comments that have been made about the op.

I expect you do understand the difference...

Old 31-07-2010, 19:20   #74

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Actually, as a moderator it is my job to come in and say *be nice or go play elsewhere*

The member's job is to be polite to start with so that I, or one of the other mods, don't have too...]

And there is nothing politically correct about good manners.
And is it your job to make comments like this ...

Quote:

Don't like slick blogs? Fine, don't go look at them. Think Taru may only be a flyby member who doesn't contribute regularly? Gee after the welcome she has gotten from some it wouldn't be any wonder if she did... Talk about self fulfilling prophesies... I am impressed and happy she has retained her sense of perspective and humour and continued to post

This is so hypocritical ... please don't lecture me Sara. Warn me if you like, but don't lecture.
Old 31-07-2010, 19:31   #75

Time to reduce sail, guys...(girls who sail are just guys with bumps...)

This has been a fun and lively thread... and everyone has a point, to a point.

Lets let the storm pass and enjoy the cruise...

There's enough popcorn for everyone.

opc orn:

Tags
round the world