Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2012, 14:51   #166

Re: Woman, 28, Aboard a 35' Boat Sailing Around the World with Her Man

Yes, that's exactly it - to each their own - without censorship or "you gotta live like I do" stuff.

Like I wrote earlier - it's been illuminating to read all the comments *why* some don't like this blog.

And a good number of them for some reason fix on the woman - she's too beautiful, too sexy, wearing bikinis too much, pictures too beautiful.

I've been waiting for the ones mentioning she's too much in charge (for god's sake - she's a woman - she shouldn't be so equal), bakes too much, writes too well or....?

Myself, I grew up in Sweden where people actually often wear swimwear (or not) while on the beach - it is quite normal there - people seldom think of that as *ogling* - although visitors from countries where the word *sex* has a certain "flavor" to it are often found sitting on the beaches enjoying the sights...

I often wonder how those people handle visiting Denmark where nudity is legal on all beaches:

12 Things You Should Know About Denmark

Or some other countries where it is legal to be nude anywhere..=*^)

Actually I think there are two where it is not allowed but I can't find the info.

What I am trying to get to in a I guess round about way - is that in some parts of the world, a woman in bikini is not automatically "ogled" - as it seems it is in your part.

Christer
Christerart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 16:00   #167

For the record, I don't think any woman is "too" beautiful or sexy or talented or in charge. My sense is that you think women who don't appreciate Taru and Alex's blog are somehow jealous of her or uncomfortable with nudity or sex and while I won't speak for other women, I will speak for myself in saying that simply isn't true. I would find gratuitous shots of Alex in a speedo or with his dong-a-long flopping about just as personally tasteless and exploitative. And if they were pitching the maker of said speedo or maybe the gold chain he was sporting on his otherwise nude body, I'd feel the same about that promotion, although I'd also have a good laugh I'm sure. Surely they are using their age, looks, and sex to sell themselves and products and this is nothing new, media is saturated with exactly this.

I prefer sailing blogs that are perhaps a little more subtle in their self promotion and have a little more originality. I dig people who don't take themselves too seriously, who feel genuine and make me laugh. Bumfuzzle on a nude beach would probably be an awesome story to read, Taru and Alex not so much. For me.

In my part of the world there is a nude beach and I've been to it! OMG, huh? It didn't try to sell me anything! I think I've been pretty clear that I'm expressing MY opinion. Not the opinion of people in "my part of the world" - please don't generalize, its never helpful IMHO. I'm sure there are people who ogle in Denmark, just as there are in Canada. I think people can actually like nude beaches and not like Taru and Alex's blog or choose not to share their personal 25 best suggestive pose vacay bikini shots on facebook.

Look if you want to show bikini photos of your wife looking all sexed up to friends and family who want to see them, great. If you want to pitch them shares in your latest sex toy creation or nude beachfront real estate development while you do, all the power to ya. Not something I'd do or attend, that's all I'm saying.

Anywho, interesting convo.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 16:09   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Look if you want to show bikini photos of your wife looking all sexed up to friends and family who want to see them, great.
Interesting you would use those words. I've not said ONE word about sexy, nor inferred the pictures of my - yes - very lovely wife - would be SEXY or as you word it "SEXED" up.

Your choice of words are pretty illuminating I think.

By the way, here's a real "sexed up" pic of Jess:

http://www.christerart.com/slideshow3/show_1125.jpg

Christer
Old 17-10-2012, 16:14   #169

Get a clue, people. The blog is a business for them. Everything on it is designed for monetization.

They explain this in their FAQ.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 16:16   #170

Wow, that is so weak. And I'm not talking about the photo - couldn't care less what your wife looks like honestly.
Old 17-10-2012, 16:18   #171

Of course that's the major reason - should be self evident.

And as far as I am concerned, they are running their business very well..=*^)

Pretty smart guys - having the time of their lives and getting paid (however much or little) at the same time. Actually, I think Taru is the driving power behind the business part of it.

My hat - damn, I forgot that one in an L32 in Sweden - would be taken off for them..

=*^)

Christer
Old 17-10-2012, 16:20   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
Get a clue, people. The blog is a business for them. Everything on it is designed for monetization.

They explain this in their FAQ.
Agreed.

Which is why I don't dig it. It's a little too commercial and exploitative for MY tastes. Geez.
Old 17-10-2012, 16:20   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Wow, that is so weak. And I'm not talking about the photo - couldn't care less what your wife looks like honestly.
LOL - exactly what I expected in reply - you're not surprising me.

At all..

But you do care about what Taru looks like and how they run their blog (and business) - interesting..

C
Old 17-10-2012, 16:28   #174
Armchair Bucketeer

I vaguely recall this thread from a couple of years back (can't be arsed to re-read it though ). IIRC the couple concerned were not really interested in contributing to CF, just simply after what they could take (some publicity / links).....and that always starts things off on the wrong foot.

I have no problem with folks doing their thing, nor even from them making a buck from doing it (and I have very few morals on that end of things ).......I just found them Reality TV style fake / superficial, and therefore personally uninteresting. Boats with Tits & Bums - is a bit of a new angle, but simply an angle nonetheless.....But as said, it's the modern way of selling stuff to many........but clearly not to all.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 16:47   #175

OMFG dude!

I seriously don't really care about their blog but I do have an opinion about it - there is a difference. My opinion is it's not my thing. I never look at it so I wouldn't notice if it ceased to exist. And for the record, just because you care greatly about how Taru looks, that doesn't mean the rest of us do. And the psychobabble... seriously? You can't argue on the issues so you resort to psychoanalysis via anonymous blog posts? Hmmmm. Interesting...
Old 17-10-2012, 17:26   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I vaguely recall this thread from a couple of years back (can't be arsed to re-read it though ). IIRC the couple concerned were not really interested in contributing to CF, just simply after what they could take (some publicity / links).....and that always starts things off on the wrong foot.

I have no problem with folks doing their thing, nor even from them making a buck from doing it (and I have very few morals on that end of things ).......I just found them Reality TV style fake / superficial, and therefore personally uninteresting. Boats with Tits & Bums - is a bit of a new angle, but simply an angle nonetheless.....But as said, it's the modern way of selling stuff to many........but clearly not to all.
Sorta weird this came back to life after 2 years. Clearly the couple have monetized themselves and have several sponsors going now and are living and blogging fine.

The blog has a lot less cheesecake in it now than in the beginning and I would say their number one advantage is that she (I think she) is an excellent photographer.

There are blog sections on "What Music We listen To" - "My Bikini Styles" - "What I Cook On-Board" (with a discussion on where to find sushi ingredients in the carib - which is interesting cuz I didn't think you cooked sushi - LOL)

In scanning some posts I see they regularly post teasers on SA - SA probably has a viewership more to this couple's style.

I am not condemning at all. The world has room for all kinds of people. This couple is in the "not famous" beautiful people's crowd.

Good on 'em...

Doesn't interest me
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 17:35   #177

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

DOJ, too right...
You may remember, their whole approach from the word go was exploitative and it got a lot of backs up... mine included.
They hit us with the same intro on about 7 different threads at the same time in an obvious effort to get as many hits on their site as possible. More advertising revenue etc.

Cheap reality tv genre sums it up pretty well.

Good luck to them. There are a lot of magazines that are glossy and pretty but superficial. But there are enough people out there with the same depth to them to keep them in business. The old stats used to be one born every minute... don't know if they've changed much over the years

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 18:03   #178

Boat: Alberg 30
Live and let live. Don't underestimate the amount of work that goes into producing and maintaining a blog that size and caliber. Getting mad about that is like being mad because someone does nicer varnishing. It's a skill set. If content doesn't suit, move on, but nothing wrong with making a higher quality blog. I don't see a problem with any of it, interesting to see how else people approach travel.
I saw a reference to a video/photo shoot for work in there, a way to keep finding cruising without taking work from anyone in the area of travel...

Hundreds of hours of work for readers to enjoy(or complain about).

I see a couple who really care about each other, sure there is a lot of writing and photos of each other but if more people were that interested in their partner, it would make the world a much nicer place.

I'm glad they aren't raising awareness for yet another cause. If I'm made aware of yet one more problem in the world my brain might explode. They've run out of awareness months and are onto days in Canada, it's enough.
Besides which, I note that not many of the people demanding they find a cause are showing themselves using their professional skills to do what they are asking the author's to do with their professions.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 18:22   #179

Boat: Cape Dory 33
Re: Time for a XXUXX response!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post

But to add, one doesn't need to have a "giving back to the world" blog to be interesting or accepted. There are too many pontificating and judgemental "ole farts" here. The fact is every blog is different, even if it is different by a color description or an adjective, it is Different. I say leave the blogs alone and let us enjoy. IMHO
There is also another point that is possibly being overlooked. Not all blogs are written for the purpose of entertaining (or being judged by) any particular community or the general population. (Granted a lot are...but certainly not all.)

Some people keep blogs purely for communication purposes with friends and family who might actually care about all the mundane little details of their everyday life. Much as I never tire of hearing about my grandchildren's day at school or what they are doing with their friends this weekend.

I have kept blogs on several subjects over the years. Some were instructional and intended to help others accomplish something, such as documenting the rebuild of our Cape Dory 28, or the building of our Benroy style teardrop camper. But some were just a way of sharing what is going on in our lives with our kids, grandkids, extended family and friends which are scattered all over hither and yon. We also follow each other on Facebook. It's just a communication tool.

When we set off to cruise in a couple of years I will do the same, so that those who care about us or just worry about us on a daily basis (two old farts on a big ocean) can know that we're out there and fine and hopefully can be reassured that we're having a great time and that all the years of crazy talk and cruising dreams we subjected them to really did amount to something.

I fantasize about my kids getting up to check it in the morning, or looking in on us last thing at night, just for a sense of peace in knowing we're there, maybe taking a look at our faces and being reassured that we look happy. And hopefully also getting excited to see new areas of the world through our eyes. Maybe it will inspire them to be adventurous too. "Hell, if Nana and Papa can do it....."

It's not a mission to the congo with a flatbed of penicillin, but it's enough of a purpose for us.

If a random stranger happens to run across it, enjoy it, maybe learn a thing or two from it that benefits them, or gets inspired by it, that would be really nice. But if not, that's okay too, and as a couple of previous posters said, they are welcome to click the back button or proceed to the next forum or blog.
Old 17-10-2012, 18:28   #180

I like that they are good photographers. As an amateur photographer myself, I appreciate seeing it well done.

And yes, they are living the life I want to have when I am that guy's age in 4-6 years. A lot has been made about 'jobs' and unemployment rates recently, but I have a job, and have had a job for 8 years, yet I haven't spent a week on vacation in the Caribbean, let alone years. So why do people praise what I do, but have a problem with this couple who I view as 100 times more successful than me. But, the minute I try to escape from the 9-5 world and buy a boat to get away from it all, I don't have 'personal responsibility' anymore, or are counted as having 'dropped out of the workforce'...

Quote:
To sail the world. In our own tempo. Simple, bohemian and close to the nature. With the comfort of the boat - our home, which would take us from one inspiring place to another. We wanted to bring ourselves on a tour across the globe where the possibilities of a peaceful, harmonic, inspiring and fulfilling life would grow for each stop along the journey.

So that's what we did. We sold most of our belongings, packed the boat and went sailing.

To sail around the world is an unbound and nomadic gypsy kind of lifestyle which suits us perfectly fine at this stage of our lives. As we've been our own bosses for as long as we remember and always strived for becoming as independent and free as humanly possible, this tour is a great extension of all of our fundamental believes. The world offers so many great possibilities and we wish to explore and discover all of what we have always been dreaming of.
Yes. I am happy that they are doing well, and wish that there was a lot more people my age who were like this.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world