Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 04:55   #1

With 2 Young Kids Cruising The Caribbean

Sometimes I wonder why we did it but most times I know it is the best thing we ever did for them! We've been aboard for the last 4 1/2 months with 2 kids, 4 and 6. Somedays we pull our hair out and they spend a hour in time out or working off their delinquencies. Others, we just smile and have no issues. I wrote a blog journal about our insights.

I am seeking advice from other long-term cruising families. What is the magic bullet to get help your kids be productive and less pesky? We are homeschooling, and that is going well. Fishing is a big pastime for our boy and he spends hours a day doing it, together with keeping our fridge full of fish, lobster and crab. He's figured it out with not a whole lot of training. I'm happy for the little 4 year old guy. Our girl has become a capitalist and makes crafts out of her beach finds to sell to friendly people.

I'm looking for project ideas. Does anyone have any? Thanks.
robert. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: With 2 Young Kids Cruising The Caribbean

Need to find other boats with kids
Old 05-11-2015, 05:26   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

do you have an ssb on board?? if so reach out to one of the morning nets and see who has kids on board.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:54   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I know that there are age differences here, but you might try & get in touch with the member here who runs/ran this site Sailing with Kids here's his handle on the forums vtsailguy
And also, I'd guess that there would be other, similar, blogs out there.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:21   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450

I would suggest you check the blog of SV Totem (Sailing Totem) who raises their children onboard, written a book on the subject, numerous periodicals and gladly share their knowledge. They seem to have worked the formula quite well.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:56   #6

Boat: CSY 44, walkover

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert.hamic View Post
Sometimes I wonder why we did it but most times I know it is the best thing we ever did for them! We've been aboard for the last 4 1/2 months with 2 kids, 4 and 6. I'm looking for project ideas. Does anyone have any? Thanks.
Lots of cruiser family blogs out there. I'd start with S/V Del Viento's, because they have a whole list of cruising family blogs, right on their website: Log of s/v Del Viento

Also, S/V Necesse sometimes has craft ideas for kids on their blog.: It's a Necessity

As a former boat kid myself, I don't often remember being bored, but of course, it was a *long* time ago. Plus, I was a teenager, so didn't need help with things. For little ones, I would recommend easy games they can play together, Legos, action figures. I know it's challenging finding small things that can fit on a boat. Once they're able to read, that will make life a lot easier too.

And, I'd say they're never to young to learn how things work! Introduce them to tools, and they can hand you tools when you're working! "Help" in the galley can be fun too.

Hope that helps,
Blue_marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:02   #7

A lot of good info/ideas in here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5538.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	112270  
GreenIssue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:06   #8

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Biggest suggestion to us has been to find other kid boats. We joined up with Kids4Sail on facebook and have been lurking and gathering tips.

We may even run into you guys next season. We plan to depart Key West in February.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 16:22   #9

I have absolutely NO experience so accept anything I say only as a suggestion. I have two grown children now and my experience has been that all kids no matter what age enjoy responsibility. Make sure that each of your children has their own job/s or responsibility that is all theirs, it makes them not only part of the family but part of the team that makes your adventure work. Finding other boats/families would naturally be important but maybe they could keep in contact with other kids that are stuck on the land and share what they are doing (may be a little tough for a 4 yo). I see a hefty bill for internet being part of your expenses. I guess above all else make sure they get to have fun and let them understand that they are so lucky to be able to experience such a special experience even though it may be a little tough at times. What an amazing bond you are going to have as a family as a result of this adventure. Happy Sailing.
lilolme55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 16:39   #10

Wow! These were great ideas and thank you all so much for the information!!!
robert. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:58   #11

Highly experienced home schooler here. Cruising, not so much, so take with 65 milligrams of NaCl...

Maybe add a boat friendly pet for each to be their responsibility? I'm told birds are great. Perhaps a reptile? The right one(s) might even help control mosquitoes. This can also kindle a nascent interest in biology, ecology, ornithology, or herpetology (stealth home schooling).

JK
Sojurnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:16   #12

Boat: Beneteau 473

Check out Wind Traveler's blog (http://www.windtraveler.net). They have three kids on board, a 3-YO and +/- 18 month old twins. It is a great blog too.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:42   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Not really sure how reading folks glammed up blogs will help you directly mirror someone else's supposed success, but I sure their Google stats will like the traffic.

If you're planning some winter traveling, plan to be in Georgetown, Exumas in Feburary. Last year for regatta we had about 30 kids at my 4 y/o daughters birthday. You might try to make arrangements to get a mooring inside the "holes" as I would think the anchorage would be VERY uncomfortable on a boat like yours.

There are also several families planning to be in the keys around Xmas time and some talk of 6-8 family boats crushing Cuba over this winter.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:23   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

There's lots of boats in the Caribbean owned by children with their parents as crew.

Just find another one and buddy up with them.
The best places are St Martin and Grenada because of their excellent vhf radio nets and large mob of cruisers

But as a single, non-father I would suggest you reclaim your life, bring out a whip and get your brats to clean hulls. Mine needs scrubbing now.

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 09:37   #15

I have a 4 1/2 year old boy on board. Leaving Ft Lauderdale in a month for the Bahamas. If our paths cross, my little guy would love to meet your two little ones.

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, kids, rib