Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 13:34   #1

pirate Who has a Cruising Pet?

I see a lot about cruising pets, but most of those threads are 3+ years old by now and don't really cover clearing in and out...

Anyone cruising with pets?

I'm curious to know how the process works from island to island. Meaning, you bring a dog from the US to the Bahamas. All cleared and GTG. Now you want to move on to The Turks and Caicos. Can you get a Bahamian vet to give you a vet letter and be good clearing T&C? Same from T&C to BVI?

I know noonsite has a wealth of information, but nothing is addressed like this...unless I'm dense
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 14:09   #2

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Check this site:

http://www.noonsite.com/

Choose the country or countries in question and look on the left a good ways down for the pets link.

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 14:26   #3

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: Who has a cruising pet?

If you choose to do this, Dr. Bailey is a good vet in Marsh Harbour.
Old 07-04-2013, 16:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
Check this site:

http://www.noonsite.com/
Yea, I've researched those, as my OP stated, but each country wants vet letters from the exporting country. The question is do we have to go bak to the US every time we leave one country to go to another since we are US and our dog is US, or can we use the vets in the country we are in...
Old 07-04-2013, 16:57   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
If you choose to do this, Dr. Bailey is a good vet in Marsh Harbour.
So that's how people do it? Clear one country, use the vet in that country and move on to the next country?
Old 07-04-2013, 17:06   #6
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
So that's how people do it? Clear one country, use the vet in that country and move on to the next country?
I hope so. We're setting off with our two dogs in three weeks, and that's what we plan to do!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 17:22   #7

Boat: Island Packet 35

We left the US last February (2012) with a Brittany Spaniel on board. She is a great companion and wonderful on the boat. Each island/country is different and some have very strict regulations about the importation of pets from "rabies prone" countries like the US. I can tell you that you can get your pets into the Bahamas, T&C, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Spanish Virgin Islands, USVI, St. Martin, Guadeloupe, Martinique, and Grenada without any trouble. The ones that I have not listed might be a problem unless you have all the requisite blood work and papers and in some cases plenty of money. Be sure that you have your pet on heart worm prevention, flea and tick, prevention and current rabies vaccinations and the islands listed should be no problem. There were two articles written for the Caribbean Compass in 2010 regarding pets and the individual islands that helped us - as well as the noonsite web page.

Best wishes cruising with your pets! Perhaps we will meet somewhere in the islands when we are "walking the dog'.
Alibi35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 17:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibi35 View Post
We left the US last February (2012) with a Brittany Spaniel on board. She is a great companion and wonderful on the boat. Each island/country is different and some have very strict regulations about the importation of pets from "rabies prone" countries like the US. I can tell you that you can get your pets into the Bahamas, T&C, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Spanish Virgin Islands, USVI, St. Martin, Guadeloupe, Martinique, and Grenada without any trouble. The ones that I have not listed might be a problem unless you have all the requisite blood work and papers and in some cases plenty of money. Be sure that you have your pet on heart worm prevention, flea and tick, prevention and current rabies vaccinations and the islands listed should be no problem.
WOW! Thank You. This is perfect info and exactly what we were hoping and looking for. Did you try BVI? Their regulations seem very easy on noonsite and it's not a place we want to miss!

[/QUOTE]
Best wishes cruising with your pets! Perhaps we will meet somewhere in the islands when we are "walking the dog'
[/QUOTE]

I sure hope so!
Old 07-04-2013, 17:48   #9

Boat: Island Packet 35

Yes, we tried BVI's. The cost was too high since we did not have the rabies titer (blood test). I recommend getting the rabies titer just before you leave (5 weeks before to get the results back) but not much more that that because some islands want it to be within the last six months. You will not have to go back to the US but you will need to furnish documentation of you pet's health and current immunizations. Many of the islands with British rule will have the most difficult regulations to comply with. That is why I listed the ones where we have been. Also, some islands require microchip in the pets.
Alibi35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 17:54   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Sounds like everyone is talking dogs so far ... what about cats? I'm assuming import regs are roughly the same, but would love to hear from Caribbean sailors who've traveled with their cat.
Old 07-04-2013, 19:09   #11

Quote:
Yes, we tried BVI's. The cost was too high since we did not have the rabies titer (blood test). I recommend getting the rabies titer just before you leave (5 weeks before to get the results back) but not much more that that because some islands want it to be within the last six months. You will not have to go back to the US but you will need to furnish documentation of you pet's health and current immunizations. Many of the islands with British rule will have the most difficult regulations to comply with. That is why I listed the ones where we have been. Also, some islands require microchip in the pets.
So helpful, thanks so much! Our lab is AKC and chipped, so that's no issue either.
Old 07-04-2013, 19:10   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Sounds like everyone is talking dogs so far ... what about cats? I'm assuming import regs are roughly the same, but would love to hear from Caribbean sailors who've traveled with their cat.
Ditto on that. We have a great ol cat that we got when we lived in England and spent quite a bit shipping her back to the states, and would hate to give her up to my mom.
Old 07-04-2013, 19:12   #13

Quote:
Bahamas, T&C, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Spanish Virgin Islands, USVI, St. Martin, Guadeloupe, Martinique, and Grenada
I'm seeing on noonsite that these places only charge a minimum fee for the pet (about $50). If you don't mind, is that true in your experience?
Old 07-04-2013, 19:53   #14

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Most hassle I've heard of is getting pets into Australia... very strict and from what we hear, regardless of shots, blood tests, etc... significant time required in isolated quarantine. We looked into it a few years ago when we were considering immigrating from the US to 'down under' and recall it was a major issue. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 19:55   #15

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Forgot to add that cruising to Mexico from the US was pretty easy with cats... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising