Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 11:09   #46

Boat: Moody 39
Re: Where are all the kid boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Not to be a spoilsport, but are you a sailor now?
Yes, we are- in fact we are not long back from a fortnight away sailing the NW coast of mainland Scotland. Would have happily gone much longer- but they say work is the curse of the sailing classes!
Our 2.5yr old seemed to have a very good time indeed. Having both parents on hand 24/7 is a big improvement on our normal family time. Due to the nature of our cruising ground, we spent the vast majority of the time at anchor, usually in completely deserted places. It's not hard to entertain a toddler on a boat. Favourite activity was probably dinghy trips, drifting about watching the seals, crabs scuttling on the seabed, etc etc. And this is all in a country renowned for poor weather and with water far too cold for comfortable swimming.
Pre-parenthood, we cruised a bit more adventurously, exploring the west coast of Ireland, the Orkneys, and everywhere inbetween. We have a fairly simple and robust boat with a windvane, manual water system, paraffin cooker, etc, and we tend to avoid marinas wherever possible. I have never in my life connected to shore power- we tend to be pretty self sufficient.

The old adage that cruising is simply fixing your boat in a nice place, is something that resonates with me- I do not expect the liveaboard lifestyle to be a holiday, I already know how much work it takes to keep a boat running. I never go on a cruise without packing a full tool kit, and I try to come home with a shorter jobs list than we started with... doesn't always work of course
SY Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:36   #47

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
>>>>>> BALANCE <<<<<<

It's key to a happy life on planet Earth. Especially for young children during their growing years.

Good & Bad. Glee & Sadness. Night & Day. Fore & Aft. Light & Dark. Winter & Summer. Yin & Yang. Land & Sea.

There's a reason why the northern & southern hemispheres have "seasons". Not so much at the hot tropics or at the frigid poles.

Every June through September, we lived at the "summer cottage". I never got tired of swimming. But then again, I didn't always want to swim. Many days, my friends and I preferred to run around through the woods, chasing chipmunks and other woods animals. Some days we'd just walk into town. Meet up with friends, play pinball, and eat pizza. Tired of life out at the cottages. Freedom from mommy and daddy. BALANCE

I can't imagine being forced to live on a boat sailing around with mommy and daddy, day after day, month after month, year after year. That's not very "balanced". Sounds more like mommy and daddy have some sailing dreams after too many hours spent on a cruising forum or watching You-Tubers.

Someone mentioned years of having their children live on a small island with 8 other people, or something akin. It wouldn't take long to get tired of that.

"Where's little Bobby?"
"Oh, he hung himself from the mizzen mast. He was tired of go-pro cameras and swimming every day on the desert island."
Now there's a happy camper, I grew up around the sea father was in the Royal Navy , was born on a naval base in Singapore, younger brother is a marine Architect , older brother is a Submersible pilot, been on the water since I knew how to fart , longed to be away on my Uncles boat every minute of the day, spent many a youthful summer sailing around Scotland and England as a young lad , now in a year and a half taken my family including 2 dogs and my daughter on a journey of a lifetime heading west , were she will meet new people engage in other cultures , learn new languages , eat different types of food , learn about the world , learn to Scuba, sail, fish, kite surf, kayaking , seeing the wonders of the planet as we explore inland ,make international friends that will become lifelong friends, have an open and less negative view of the world, and learn that we are all human and should be respected for this no matter , color , race, religion, or wealth. and that the planet should be respected to , and hopefully she will become a better person for the experience, me I am not a gambling man, so would never gamble on her life , but I can safely say this trip will enrich her in more ways than we can imagine.
seems like you missed the boat!!
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:53   #48

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

Another happy family aboard with small children.

Three Sheets Northwest
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 13:55   #49

Boat: Volkscruiser

PortClydeMe you are starting to sound like a troll. Youth suicide is not a joking matter and I am fairly sure being surrounded by your parents 24/7 is probably a positive thing not a negative thing. Maybe you could google suicide notes and get the stats. But I am fairly certain most would not say I am sick of swimming, sailing and travelling so I have hung myself.
Balance, I did not have balance in my life until I left home and could make my own decisions. Hell I did what I was told and if it was the same stuff as last week, well tough. Cry into your weetbix but that’s what we are doing. No one ever hung themselves in my family.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 19:54   #50

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^^

Starting??

Jim
Old 09-10-2018, 07:14   #51

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
>>>>>> BALANCE

I can't imagine being forced to live on a boat sailing around with mommy and daddy, day after day, month after month, year after year. That's not very "balanced". Sounds more like mommy and daddy have some sailing dreams after too many hours spent on a cruising forum or watching You-Tubers.

Someone mentioned years of having their children live on a small island with 8 other people, or something akin. It wouldn't take long to get tired of that.

"Where's little Bobby?"
"Oh, he hung himself from the mizzen mast. He was tired of go-pro cameras and swimming every day on the desert island."
You're disgusting.

The entirety of youth on the planet spends their first years on a path not of their choosing. Every child is forced to whatever their parents think is right. That's the nature of youth. Parents, hopefully, put their children first in their lives, even if that's on a boat. That is what matters, not whether you're standing on Earth or a teak and Holly sole

I spent the first 26 years of my life trying to become my Dad. Same job, same education, same pursuits in life. Bought my first house at 22, cars and everything most people work their whole life for. Nearly drank and drugged myself into an early grave. Left that behind and found cruising and have been sober as long as I have cruising in my life.

My son is happiest on the water, I can't wait to take him cruising. He is 4 years old and nonverbal, but I know cruising is something he would love. We haven't taken him yet because we are putting him first, his speech therapy and development come before travel and fun.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:26   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
^^^^^

Starting??

Jim
Hey, hey, hey ... come on, man. That wasn't needed. You know better than that. Just my opinions, mixed with a healthy dose of life experience. It's none of my business, yet I'd wager a guess that I'm a tad older than you ... not that that means much. Anyway, just my opinions. I don't try to attack anyone personally, just trying to shine a little light on reality ... as I see it.

So, back on topic. Where are all the kid boats? The OP would like to know.

Cheers
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:53   #53
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

What I'm hearing is too much hostility towards those that suggest cruising might not be best for kids. While there are certainly two sides to the story, we're showing a lot of pro-cruising bias. Let them talk.

I've seen kids come out great and kids come out screwed up from every type of up-bringing. That's a worse hornets nest than an anchoring debate. I've known kids that love sailing and kids that hate being on the boat.My daughter teaches elementary school (and cruised with me) and will tell you that they are all different. That is what she enjoys.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:42   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
What I'm hearing is too much hostility towards those that suggest cruising might not be best for kids. While there are certainly two sides to the story, we're showing a lot of pro-cruising bias. Let them talk.

I've seen kids come out great and kids come out screwed up from every type of up-bringing. That's a worse hornets nest than an anchoring debate. I've known kids that love sailing and kids that hate being on the boat.My daughter teaches elementary school (and cruised with me) and will tell you that they are all different. That is what she enjoys.
No problems with a different view, but when you put child suicide into your description!!, this is bad taste and a pretty stupid thing to say, especially as there may be people affected by such things. Only very strange or slightly unhinged people would make A connection of a bad cruising experience to child suicide
Old 09-10-2018, 12:12   #55

Boat: Moody 39

Quote:
Perhaps if the one person on this thread who is anti cruising-with-kids was a little more reasonable in his approach, he might be taken more seriously. He talks as though we intend to drift around the ocean on our lonesome- seemingly quite unaware that cruisers spend 99% of their time not actually under way, and therefore able to meet other people.

To be honest I am quite apprehensive about certain aspects of taking my family off cruising. Safety, security, and having a stable group of friends won't be taken for granted like they are at home. My hope is that the benefits of a cruising lifestyle will outweigh the disadvantages. And I think that cruising in places where we can hook up with other families is going to be an important part of that.

If we don't like the way things are going, we will simply come home. We will still own our house, we will still have the business that is paying for all of this, I will probably still be able to pick up work. So it doesn't really matter if we go for six years or six months. We have no intention or desire to put everything on video and ask people to subsidise our travels- we are on track to be on a financial footing that allows us to avoid this.
SY Kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 13:54   #56
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post
I also think that kids adapt and become well rounded individuals after sailing the world with at least the same probability as those kids that stay on land.

But we should remember that there is a lot of "survivor bias" at work in these blog- and forum-postings.

If you were traumatized as a child by being forced to see beautiful exotic places :-) you probably won't go on a sailing forums as an adult and post comments here. Families that don't make it past the first 3 month on a boat won't have a long lived, popular sailing blog.

Basically we are in an echo chamber here. :-/

Paul

I think Paul captured it nicely.
Old 09-10-2018, 14:34   #57

Quote:
I think Paul captured it nicely.
Somewhat loose on the stats , but I agree that you don't need to go sailing as a child to become a well rounded individual, but the stats do show that parents that spend a considerably amount of time with the nurturing of their child and being their for many of the challenges and wonderful experiences that will exist on a sailing trip will aid in this process.
As this forum is a positive place were everyone who has experiences with cruising kids is a positive one, then we should take hope that this is a good experience of life . It must be added as well that there are many comments on this thread from people who do not have kids but have seen from afar the positive aspects of cruising kids.
There will be families that have set out and returned for many reasons , just like individuals and couples, this is balance of probability.
As I have said before I set out in around 18 months taking my daughter with me as her ward in life an parent I take the responsibility seriously ,and books and blogs do not influence my decision , but more on the fact that I have travelled the world , and come from a multi cultural background and I believe this can only benefit even through the tough times.
Old 09-10-2018, 15:08   #58

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Hey, hey, hey ... come on, man. That wasn't needed. You know better than that. Just my opinions, mixed with a healthy dose of life experience. It's none of my business, yet I'd wager a guess that I'm a tad older than you ... not that that means much. Anyway, just my opinions. I don't try to attack anyone personally, just trying to shine a little light on reality ... as I see it.

So, back on topic. Where are all the kid boats? The OP would like to know.

Cheers
If your life experience had included meeting and interacting with as many cruising families as mine has, I doubt that you would be so negative towards the idea. You never seem to tell us what you have done with your life or much else either. That lack of openness clouds our evaluation of your posts... or at least my evaluation, for I can't speak for others.

And your use of child suicide as an example of what can happen if a child is taken cruising is way out of line... the sort of pot stirring that is part of the definition of trolling. Hence my comment that you object to.

And if you are really older than me you have one foot in the grave, mate, 'cause I'm older than dirt!

Jim
Old 09-10-2018, 15:29   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

And your use of child suicide as an example of what can happen if a child is taken cruising is way out of line... the sort of pot stirring that is part of the definition of trolling. Hence my comment that you object to.

Jim
Yeah, OK. I take it back. Sorry, just trying to add a little humor. Hence, the wink (). Please don't take it too far out of context, because I -- and you -- were born far before the modern 'politically correct' generation. What the band 'YES' would term 'Fragile'. Anyway, just my opinions.

Just so you know, I'm older than dirt too ... plus an old rock, and a few old broken sticks. Hey, and just for fun, do you remember when we used to have to 'dial phones'? I sure do, and then some.

Cheers
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 16:01   #60

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Kelpie View Post
Yes, we are- in fact we are not long back from a fortnight away sailing the NW coast of mainland Scotland. Would have happily gone much longer- but they say work is the curse of the sailing classes!
Our 2.5yr old seemed to have a very good time indeed. Having both parents on hand 24/7 is a big improvement on our normal family time. Due to the nature of our cruising ground, we spent the vast majority of the time at anchor, usually in completely deserted places. It's not hard to entertain a toddler on a boat. Favourite activity was probably dinghy trips, drifting about watching the seals, crabs scuttling on the seabed, etc etc. And this is all in a country renowned for poor weather and with water far too cold for comfortable swimming.
Pre-parenthood, we cruised a bit more adventurously, exploring the west coast of Ireland, the Orkneys, and everywhere inbetween. We have a fairly simple and robust boat with a windvane, manual water system, paraffin cooker, etc, and we tend to avoid marinas wherever possible. I have never in my life connected to shore power- we tend to be pretty self sufficient.

The old adage that cruising is simply fixing your boat in a nice place, is something that resonates with me- I do not expect the liveaboard lifestyle to be a holiday, I already know how much work it takes to keep a boat running. I never go on a cruise without packing a full tool kit, and I try to come home with a shorter jobs list than we started with... doesn't always work of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Kelpie View Post
Perhaps if the one person on this thread who is anti cruising-with-kids was a little more reasonable in his approach, he might be taken more seriously. He talks as though we intend to drift around the ocean on our lonesome- seemingly quite unaware that cruisers spend 99% of their time not actually under way, and therefore able to meet other people.

To be honest I am quite apprehensive about certain aspects of taking my family off cruising. Safety, security, and having a stable group of friends won't be taken for granted like they are at home. My hope is that the benefits of a cruising lifestyle will outweigh the disadvantages. And I think that cruising in places where we can hook up with other families is going to be an important part of that.

If we don't like the way things are going, we will simply come home. We will still own our house, we will still have the business that is paying for all of this, I will probably still be able to pick up work. So it doesn't really matter if we go for six years or six months. We have no intention or desire to put everything on video and ask people to subsidise our travels- we are on track to be on a financial footing that allows us to avoid this.
Given that I have no kids (though all my siblings and friends have plenty) and wasn't raised on a boat, the above two posts make me jealous of both you and your child.

The plasticity of young children's minds and their ability to adapt would make me worry less about finding 'kid boats'; there will be children around at any populated place you stop.

A parent's responsibility for their children would seem to me to be to provide them with an environment where they can learn and develop healthily; I can't think of a much better situation than that found on a sailboat, especially if the 'electronic illusions' are kept to a minimum or even eliminated entirely...

My thoughts would be tending toward providing a playmate for the 2.5 year old before he/she gets 'too far ahead"...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat