Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2012, 21:22   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
When To Go Gray ...

I just spent the last week with my two aunts (70 & 72, both brunette) and the question came up about when would you go gray. Both said never. I am a natural blond, at 24 I found my first gray (really white) hair. Unfortunately for me, it was concentrated where my hair naturally parts -- so (at 57) II have been coloring my hair for a long time (but matching it to my natural color).

As a blond, it is not a big stretch to gray/white (in the earliest memories of my father he had white hair). I am ready to let it go, but my husband (bald and gray) says no.

So ... , have you, when did you, how did you deal with a husband/significant other that (may) have had a different opinion?
The crazy thing is that on the inside I still feel 27!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 21:34   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: When To Go Gray ...

Who cares, it is a hair colour and the process is totally natural and part of life.
Oh to be fortunate enough to be worrying about first world problems like vanity.

Old 22-12-2012, 21:55   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Who cares, it is a hair colour and the process is totally natural and part of life.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 22:14   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

My lady is 53 and coloured her hair when i first met her three years ago, and had it long because her ex liked it like that. I told her to have it how she wanted it, so she stopped the blonding, cut it short and shaggy, and it now is streaked with grey and looks terrific.

I am totally white now with a full beard, she tells me that when i purse my lips it looks like a polar bear's bum.

Coops.
Old 22-12-2012, 23:02   #5

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
I just spent the last week with my two aunts (70 & 72, both brunette) and the question came up about when would you go gray. Both said never. I am a natural blond, at 24 I found my first gray (really white) hair. Unfortunately for me, it was concentrated where my hair naturally parts -- so (at 57) II have been coloring my hair for a long time (but matching it to my natural color).

As a blond, it is not a big stretch to gray/white (in the earliest memories of my father he had white hair). I am ready to let it go, but my husband (bald and gray) says no.

So ... , have you, when did you, how did you deal with a husband/significant other that (may) have had a different opinion?
The crazy thing is that on the inside I still feel 27!
You still feel 27 because the mind goes. Lol

I am 56, and I no longer purchase new movies. In a few weeks, they are new again.
Old 22-12-2012, 23:15   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Oh to be fortunate enough to be worrying about first world problems like vanity.
Cat, do you mean as opposed to other FWPs like "Do I need a genset?"

Apart from Rebel with his resident rat, I don't see too many people posing TWP questions on CF LOL.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 23:28   #7

I started going grey at 18 - it runs in the family. I dyed my hair from about 30 onwards. I am 54 years old.
Four years ago we took 6 months long service leave from work (another great reason to live in Australia) to take our trailerable yacht to the Whitsundays and the Great Barrier Reef. This was a great opportunity to re-evaluate the important things in my life, and spending a couple of hours every 6 weeks at the hairdressers (and $100) didn't seem that important. It turns out that my hair is a delightful shade of white, and I often get compliments on it. My partner Ian loves it. I stopped wearing makeup too!
My future is going to be water based and hopefully not too close to civilization, so I am celebrating the natural look - except for the facial and underarm hair!
Life is good with grey hair.
Kindred Spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 00:34   #8

Boat: Amel Sharki

My wife has colored her hair for many years. She has always been a good looking girl. Since moving aboard, taking navigation classes, learning about the cruising life and sailing sailing sailing, she has developed a salty swagger that comes with confidence. She no longer colors her hair. She looks terrific ! Big city advertisers and media are always trying to tell us what we should thing and how we should look. True beauty does not come out of a bottle.
Fair Winds,
Mark
Sharki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 00:41   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

What can be better than a natural looking lady in nature's surroundings? Kudos to all of you and your partners.

Coops.
Old 23-12-2012, 00:48   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Am I the only one cruising to still be colouring my hair? We have been cruising full time for over five years now, but I still dye my hair once an month and it is certainly not due to lack of self assurance LOL. I think when I have a head full of white/grey I may stop, but at the moment I hate looking in the bathroom mirror and seeing scrappy grey along the edges.

No time or money is wasted at the hairdressers though. I first pulled my scissors out to give myself a haircut a few months before we left Australia so I could make a run for my hairdresser in case it all went horribly wrong LOL. Over the next few weeks no one rolled around on the floor laughing looking at me, so I have not been near a hairdresser since, even when I returned home for a family wedding.

Although I haven't been near a hairdryer or curling wand for years now either, other routines will probably be continued for life - maintaining silky smooth legs, giving myself pedicures etc. Same goes for using French perfume and knickers. They all make me feel good so why stop because I am cruising? It would be a bit like giving up chocolate and good wine .

So Smart Move, do whatever makes you happy .

Giving a wedding reading with self coloured and self cut hair, three years after commencing cruising (to my credit I did manage to find something other than crocs and shorts to wear though ):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	51588  

Old 23-12-2012, 01:25   #11

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Read the ingredients in that stuff. It comes with application gloves, not just for keeping the die off your hands. Read the warnings on the box. Letting that stuff soak into your head, and then wondering where dementia disorders in later years come from. Big pharma making caustic chemical baths for the top of my head? Pass. My wife quit using the stuff years ago. It causes more grey, so you keep using the product.

Guy goes to doctor complaining of pain in hand. Doctor prescribes two pills. Pain goes away for a week. Pain comes back. Trip to doctor again. Doctor now asks what has changed? Man says he hits his hand with a hammer for fun and amusement when he gets board, so when the pain stoped, he got a bigger hammer. Doctor pauses a moment and gives the man a prescription for three stronger pills.

This ain't no joke, this is how we approach life in the year 2012. In 2013, we don't look to be any smarter. More pills, more poisons soaking into our heads should do it.
Old 23-12-2012, 02:30   #12

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Nice pic lassie. Hell color it or don't. Whatever turns you on. I don't color my hair which used to be salt and pepper, but over the years the pepper seems to have gotten lost

Why is it that grey hair is seen to attractive ( as a sign of maturity and wisdom) in men yet on women it is generally considered to be a sign of ageing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Am I the only one cruising to still be colouring my hair? We have been cruising full time for over five years now, but I still dye my hair once an month and it is certainly not due to lack of self assurance LOL. I think when I have a head full of white/grey I may stop, but at the moment I hate looking in the bathroom mirror and seeing scrappy grey along the edges.

No time or money is wasted at the hairdressers though. I first pulled my scissors out to give myself a haircut a few months before we left Australia so I could make a run for my hairdresser in case it all went horribly wrong LOL. Over the next few weeks no one rolled around on the floor laughing looking at me, so I have not been near a hairdresser since, even when I returned home for a family wedding.

Although I haven't been near a hairdryer or curling wand for years now either, other routines will probably be continued for life - maintaining silky smooth legs, giving myself pedicures etc. Same goes for using French perfume and knickers. They all make me feel good so why stop because I am cruising? It would be a bit like giving up chocolate and good wine .

So Smart Move, do whatever makes you happy .

Giving a wedding reading with self coloured and self cut hair, three years after commencing cruising (to my credit I did manage to find something other than crocs and shorts to wear though ):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 02:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Why is it that grey hair is seen to attractive ( as a sign of maturity and wisdom) in men yet on women it is generally considered to be a sign of ageing?
Genes flourish in the genepool which increase the probability of the carrier organism (that's us) successfully reproducing and helping the offspring survive long enough to reproduce. Genes which reduce the probability of either successful reproduction or the survival of the offspring are consequently rare in any genepool. Genes which program men to select young females survive and propagate in the gene pool because young females are (or were in pre-medical societies) more likely to produce healthy offspring. Genes which program women to select older males survive and propagate in the gene pool because older men are (or were in pre-abundance societies) better able to provide for the nutritional and other survival needs of the offspring.

The nice thing about understanding evolution is that we can hijack these machines (us) which our genes built to propagate themselves and use them for our own interests rather than those for which our genes built us.

So, my opinion is do what you want with your own hair and don't worry about what society thinks.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 04:08   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No idea, but its certainly true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Genes flourish in the genepool which increase the probability of the carrier organism (that's us) successfully reproducing and helping the offspring survive long enough to reproduce. Genes which reduce the probability of either successful reproduction or the survival of the offspring are consequently rare in any genepool. Genes which program men to select young females survive and propagate in the gene pool because young females are (or were in pre-medical societies) more likely to produce healthy offspring. Genes which program women to select older males survive and propagate in the gene pool because older men are (or were in pre-abundance societies) better able to provide for the nutritional and other survival needs of the offspring.
Not sure its as simple as that. A few centuries/millenia ago most men did not survive long enough to get grey hair and I doubt women would have deliberately selected older mates instead of those in their prime (with good hunting and fighting capacity) if they were naturally seeking a mate to ensure optimum survival of their offspring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
......So, my opinion is do what you want with your own hair and don't worry about what society thinks.
+1

Old 23-12-2012, 04:49   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Let the facts speak for themselves
Maturity and wisdom is attractive in any person while ageing isn't.
Men get one, women get the other as their hair greys
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote