Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2018, 18:01   #76

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: What to get for my wife for our week on a boat

Here's what I did on our first charter and it was a big hit. I went to the cosmetics counter in the department store for the brand she likes. Bought special face mask, moisturizers, a bunch of stuff that I don't know what the heck it was.

She was delighted with all of the pampering.

Have a merry christmas.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 21:48   #77

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Judging by most of the recommendations so far, I’m guessing there’s quite a few single or divorced sailors chiming in.
I was thinking the same thing. All this "ticket home" stuff and the like. Now my wife is not one who would likely welcome a stormy crossing of the North Atlantic, but a cruise through Drake Channel and a couple of nights in The Bight at Norman island is a whole different deal. And even a beat into the trades up to Anegada on a warm, sunny afternoon. Sure, nice dinners at some of the beach clubs, but you shouldn't have to force yourself to enjoy that either.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 06:43   #78

Boat: Newick Creative trimaran, 42'

Sunscreen is a must have; Alba Botanica fragrance free SPF 30 is the best I've found. Non staining, non toxic, water resistant, zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, very emollient, rubs in invisibly and doesn't feel greasy.
tomtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 09:54   #79

Boat: MacGregor 26

well guys, the trip is over, thanks for the advice! She appreciated having those sun shirts and sunglasses. Hers broke though,fortunately I had brought a spare pair.

She enjoyed the concept when we were able to slow down and get off the boat. Wasn't thrilled with the constant testing and limited time off the boat the first five days.
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 09:58   #80

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

The real test of success is.....will she go sailing again?

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 10:09   #81

We already had a charter booked in March so, yes

The third one will be the real test. We are planning Tortola to Virgin Gorda, then Anegada, then Jost and back in 7 days. Lots of time off the boat. May even rent a car on anegada
Old 22-01-2019, 12:39   #82

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Hoosierdoc:
Thanks for the report. I sure enjoyed the exchange.

I am headed to BVI for charter soon and can't wait. As a training captain, I will keep in mind the interruption of testing on the not-testing sailors. I will adjust my own plan and pass it along to my co-workers at sailing school.

Thanks again. Norm
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 13:01   #83

Hoosierdoc:
One more question: What was your favorite place?

OK, A couple more questions: What ports did you visit and what type of boat did you sail? And... knowing what you know now, how you answer your original question?

Norm
Old 23-01-2019, 05:09   #84

She did not read the 104 or 114 book before we went so there was a lot of catching up to do for her. I think that added to the stress level and made her spend more time reading. We were on a 44' leopard cat.

We had one anchorage that was a little rough by the baths, lots of small rollers. Taking the 104 test there was difficult since it's a longer test and you're staring down at the paper for quite a while. That was the only time I was seasick the whole trip.

We left red hook, st thomas and spent the night at Christmas Cove, had some pizza. Then headed for Leinster Bay overnight, then The Bight, then The Baths, then White Bay, Jost for two nights.

Our favorite place was White Bay though the Baths were incredible too. I fell in a wave (Again) at the baths and tweaked my hip. Still hurts.

I don't know if you can break up the testing much since we did 101/103/104/114 in six days and really had to get the content in. My wife prefers some alone time on vacation and that's hard to do with four people you've never met and stuck on a boat. Get up at 7am, start talking sailing at 8am with teaching, then practicing until 3-4pm, then study, dinner, bed. Not sure how else to really do it other than make sure people read a lot before getting down there, especially if doing a lot of courses and limited prior boating experience.

I know my wife would have really enjoyed getting off the boat every day before sunset and having an hour or so to walk a beach, browse a little shop, or eat at a restaurant. Just the nature of cramming in a lot of classes though. The captain was busy with boat management and teaching, preparing for testing and I didn't feel comfortable just grabbing the dinghy and taking her ashore. like borrowing a friend's car.

You seem like you're interested in teaching well and accommodating students, that's a great attitude to have! If people aren't happy/relaxed they won't be in the mindset to learn.
Old 23-01-2019, 06:17   #85

Hoosierdoc:
Thanks so much. I have shared your remarks with management. (Wife and management not the same!) I think you make a good point about the press for certification tests. I know that that is what you're buying more than a lovely cruise. The certification leads to those... I hope.

Did you clear in at Soper's Hole? That is my preferred place. The Baths are often too rolly to enjoy at this time of year. I have anchored off Spanish Town and had folks taxi to Baths for a better experience at the site.

Once, I had a charter/training couple and she got sea sick in North Sound on Day 1. I sailed them back to a hotel the next day. She could not have been happier. He and I went day sailing. Some trips are just like that.

For your next charter in the BVI, I suggest you plan a couple days at each spot rather than the 10 harbors in 5 days plan. If my wife and I were doing it we'd probably spend a couple days at the Bight and then a couple days in Anegada and call that good.

I am off in a few weeks to do two long distance offshore qualifying cruises with a celestial navigation component. The best way to do that is to spend a few days learning celestial while in a suitable anchorage and then going offshore but no one wants that. So... off I go. It will be a fun sail anyway and I reckon I can deliver enough content to be satisfying. BVI to Grenada and back a week later. Beats Cape Cod in winter!

Have some fun with this site: interviewwithacruiser.com

Keep well and sail on.

Norm
Old 23-01-2019, 10:02   #86

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post
She did not read the 104 or 114 book before we went so there was a lot of catching up to do for her. I think that added to the stress level and made her spend more time reading. We were on a 44' leopard cat.

We had one anchorage that was a little rough by the baths, lots of small rollers. Taking the 104 test there was difficult since it's a longer test and you're staring down at the paper for quite a while. That was the only time I was seasick the whole trip.

We left red hook, st thomas and spent the night at Christmas Cove, had some pizza. Then headed for Leinster Bay overnight, then The Bight, then The Baths, then White Bay, Jost for two nights.

Our favorite place was White Bay though the Baths were incredible too. I fell in a wave (Again) at the baths and tweaked my hip. Still hurts.

I don't know if you can break up the testing much since we did 101/103/104/114 in six days and really had to get the content in. My wife prefers some alone time on vacation and that's hard to do with four people you've never met and stuck on a boat. Get up at 7am, start talking sailing at 8am with teaching, then practicing until 3-4pm, then study, dinner, bed. Not sure how else to really do it other than make sure people read a lot before getting down there, especially if doing a lot of courses and limited prior boating experience.

I know my wife would have really enjoyed getting off the boat every day before sunset and having an hour or so to walk a beach, browse a little shop, or eat at a restaurant. Just the nature of cramming in a lot of classes though. The captain was busy with boat management and teaching, preparing for testing and I didn't feel comfortable just grabbing the dinghy and taking her ashore. like borrowing a friend's car.

You seem like you're interested in teaching well and accommodating students, that's a great attitude to have! If people aren't happy/relaxed they won't be in the mindset to learn.
Thats a lot, too much really, to cram into 6 days. But...there is a market demand for such a grueling curriculum so sailing schools do it.

Pre-class preparation is cruicual for such an intense schedule. Given that she did not prepare, I expect that wasnt much fun for her.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 12:56   #87

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Pre-class preparation is cruicual for such an intense schedule. Given that she did not prepare, I expect that wasnt much fun for her.
Of course, I don't know the circumstances, but wanted to say, you may not have time to be well read in the course material before you get to the class, so there isn't time for extracurricular excursions. In the short term, it is unfortunate, but sometimes circumstances combine to confound one. The subsequent charters that the couple does will provide those desired excursions, one hopes.

Ann
Old 23-01-2019, 13:04   #88

Yeah, I hear you on the preparation. I was nudging as best I could. We got home from the trip Monday morning at 00:45 and she signed papers on a dental practice she bought at 8am that day. The trip was booked before the practice was found and arrangements made.

How it happened was sort of expected but it wouldn’t have changed much even if she had read everything once. Still lots of time taken with coursework and once the sun is down we were ready for rum and a bed
Old 23-01-2019, 13:35   #89

Ever notice that sailing vacations are always too short?

Tags
boat