Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2010, 04:54   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The more mold on the club tie the better. If I pay those ludicrous fees when I am 10,000 miles away I want some currency for it!
Condition of ones reefer jacket isn't important and simply part of life on board.

Ladies of course should wear the appropriate yacht club scarf with a cocktail dress and heels. A glipse of stocking top to the Rear Commodore would aslo be appropriate and ensure your husbands application for temporary membership is approved However do observe the brass strip on the floor demarcating the carpet from the bar area. Ladies should not cross the brass strip or attempt to purchase drinks from the bar.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 11:07   #32

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
As one of the ladies, my going ashore or walking out outfit for formal occasions is a longish skirt in dark blue or white depending on time of year, blouse, and club blaser with ladies tie or scarf. I don't normally wear heels and prefer a pair of oxfords. On board, since I sail northern waters where it has a tendency to be cool to cold at sea, my usual outfit is a pair of high waisted wool trousers, sea boots, long sleeved grey flannel shirt and wool button up vest. If it gets a bit cold for that I add a double breasted frock coat. I can add a woolen watch coat to that if need be. For really wet weather I have rain outfit and southwester. I also have a black leather reefer coat to hold out the wind, but as one companion said, I look like a U-boat captain wearing that. For hot weather or tropics, I simply layer down and substitute baggy tropical shorts and tropical shirt.
Old 14-06-2010, 11:14   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vayacondios View Post
The most useful item to me is a sarong...
Although I don’t wear them myself; I must agree wholeheartedly that a Sarong is the single most useful & versatile garment in a woman’s cruising garment bag. Maggie agrees.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 11:52   #34
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayacondios View Post
The most useful item to me is a sarong. It can be a towel, scarf, something to picnic on, can wet it and put it over you when it's really really hot for sleeping, can peg it up in a pinch for some shade, washes and dries very quick, use it as a skirt with a tank top, half it and it's a short skirt, shall when it's cool. I have 3 and use one of them every day for something.
Absolutely - I never travel without one!!! Although I tend to use pieces of cotton fabric, which are sturdier and larger than 'tourist' sarongs - similar to those the local fishermen wear, actually. Because they're large, they also make good sheets if staying in cheaper rooms.. Use them for all the above, and have also used for carrying laundry!!!!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 11:55   #35

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
I don't know Gord, but you might look great in a lava-lava.
Old 14-06-2010, 12:43   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You're right Astrid; you don't (even want to) know ...

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote