Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 09:26   #166

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Heck, I just want room for my guitars, but do I HAVE to give up ALL the hanging locker?
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:35   #167

Boat: 1995 Beneteau Oceanis 281
I want Production Boat owners and One off Design Boat Owners to get along. Right Mark J? Never Mind. World Peace is probably easier to obtain.
Waterborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:44   #168
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Seems to me reading this thread that what most men want in a boat.... is a partner willing to share the dream
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:49   #169
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post
You're all investing a lot of energy in this discussion.

For what return, I'm not exactly sure.
Well now since you asked I would guess you are now in a position to answer.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:50   #170

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Seems to me reading this thread that what most men want in a boat.... is a partner willing to share the dream
And so it all comes full circle. Maybe thats what some women want too.

Next question, - what to do about it?
Finding a compatable partner is the hardest part. A small group of people, spread far and wide, .......its a lottery.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:16   #171
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Interesting you should ask Anjou. I think Ocean Girl's approach is a sound one- where people can state their qualifications and at least let people know they are out there. But you are trying to inject reason into a emotional decision. Good luck with that.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:52   #172
cruiser

I admire working for clients who are couples who don't have a "his"department and a "hers "department, but both have an equal interest in all parts of the boat and cruising, without gender divides . I can phone them up and discuss the project with whoever answers the phone, without getting a 'You'll have to talk to my husband about that stuff" type of response.
We like women who don't try to con us ashore and into an urban treadmill lifestyle, while falsely claiming enthusiasm for the cruising lifestyle. We prefer women who show up when invited, and don't claim great enthusiasm for sailing, beg us to take them sailing, then don't show up , and if they give any excuse, it sounds like " I was dying to go sailing , but I like to sleep in Saturdays so I couldn't make it by 1pm." 95% of the women who begged me to take them sailing ,in my younger days, couldn't be bothered showing up. When other singlehanders told me they all had the same experience, I stopped inviting them ,and started to enjoy my summers far more. The "Lucky guys" who all found women, who claimed they were keen on the cruising lifestyle, ended up selling their boats and moving ashore, only to find out later that was the plan all along, and the women in question never had any intention of ever going cruising .
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 13:07   #173

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
OK Guys...lets get real....Women are not Lessor or superior they are just different...When ones ticked about something and we try and offer a solution we become the enemy...when they get all dolled up or dressed to kill or all skimpy and we zoom in for it we are mindless sex perverted scum.

That extra brain activity ....its called scatter brain and that is not meant derogatorily..they are definitely multi taskers...with 4 of their beautiful heads in my house I tend to just sit back and watch...or more like endure the show..I have learned they do not want a males opinion on any matter unless they ask for it and then it will most likely most of the time go unreceived as a stupid one.

What we have here is a failure to communicate or better put a failure to connect...not on a IQ level but a chemical one..we will never totally mix water with oil... Like an Italian dressing we can come together and become something better then each part on its own complementing each other with a good shake up of spices...of fun times , good sex, good conversation and just being together in quite time...together in the same room yet like the dressing separating each back into two different and unique elements...an element necessary for the satisfaction that mixture brings when combined..or an element sorely missing when absent.

We all... men and Women have a threshold that's different for us all as to how long we can be with out the other element for our salad called life to remain palatable...generally but not always related to how it tasted last time we shook it up and combined together.

Men the water element is fast to bring to boil and is all visual...We want to start the shake up process together instantly upon initial visual stimuli "You wana mate" is as natural and sincere as the opening greeting of saying "Hows it going" for a man....Woman being the oil element are slower to move in this direction ...conversation and the need to be stimulated mentally doesn't and cant happen with 3 words..much to our frustration...once oil is heated it remains so much longer then water which cools quickly.

Few guys learn the art of words from the get go..most never do.. but give it there best effort during initial courtship of their prize...but it is so foreign it consumes most if not all of our energy much like cramming for a final exam and is not sustainable permanently.

What most men want IMHO is a woman that recognized the Herculean effort we put forth and call it good for what it was...then except us from then on as a worthy element in their life as we move to the next stage.. the provider, protector , fixer, luster of their body and best friend and companion that we want to be.

No we will never completely mix and become one...but we need to shake it up together as often as we can giving both a taste of that flavorful topping each desire to pore out and be satisfied on their salad called life.
Like, Wow.

One of my brothers has a wife and four daughters. I swear he could have written what you just did. You sound exactly like him.
Old 07-01-2010, 13:09   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Bingo.
Old 07-01-2010, 13:11   #175

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Stillraining
OK Guys...lets get real...
Damn, that's good!
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 13:12   #176

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Brent, it sounds like youve met the wrong women, and please dont think everyone is the same. I hope you are generalising.

It cuts both ways. Some guys are timewasters and advertise goods they dont have. Sadly thats human nature.
Old 07-01-2010, 16:42   #177
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Brent, it sounds like youve met the wrong women, and please dont think everyone is the same. I hope you are generalising.

It cuts both ways. Some guys are timewasters and advertise goods they dont have. Sadly thats human nature.

Finding the right person could take a life time and the search is worth it.

I have found out that it is critical at first to know yourself. Know exactly who you are and what you want. Spend a lot of time considering what you want in a partner and what are willing to compromise on if anything.

Then don't spend any real time investing in potential partners with no potential. Face it. We have all invested time in someone for the wrong reason and have had it fall apart. Not learning from that is pointless.

I have lots of male friends that are friends because I don't want them as a mate and I accept them as they are. If we achieve that in our relationships with women we would meet a lot more women and get to know them before the complications of a relationship.

The thing is that 90% of us know that the girl we meet is a flake in the first week (or less). We hang on for all the wrong reasons. This is a two way street BTW.

The "sexist" part, from me is that I think most men can accept the compromise and most women think they can fix our faults.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 17:25   #178

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
OK Guys...lets get real....Women are not Lessor or superior they are just different...When ones ticked about something and we try and offer a solution we become the enemy...when they get all dolled up or dressed to kill or all skimpy and we zoom in for it we are mindless sex perverted scum.

That extra brain activity ....its called scatter brain and that is not meant derogatorily..they are definitely multi taskers...with 4 of their beautiful heads in my house I tend to just sit back and watch...or more like endure the show..I have learned they do not want a males opinion on any matter unless they ask for it and then it will most likely most of the time go unreceived as a stupid one.

What we have here is a failure to communicate or better put a failure to connect...not on a IQ level but a chemical one..we will never totally mix water with oil... Like an Italian dressing we can come together and become something better then each part on its own complementing each other with a good shake up of spices...of fun times , good sex, good conversation and just being together in quite time...together in the same room yet like the dressing separating each back into two different and unique elements...an element necessary for the satisfaction that mixture brings when combined..or an element sorely missing when absent.

We all... men and Women have a threshold that's different for us all as to how long we can be with out the other element for our salad called life to remain palatable...generally but not always related to how it tasted last time we shook it up and combined together.

Men the water element is fast to bring to boil and is all visual...We want to start the shake up process together instantly upon initial visual stimuli "You wana mate" is as natural and sincere as the opening greeting of saying "Hows it going" for a man....Woman being the oil element are slower to move in this direction ...conversation and the need to be stimulated mentally doesn't and cant happen with 3 words..much to our frustration...once oil is heated it remains so much longer then water which cools quickly.

Few guys learn the art of words from the get go..most never do.. but give it there best effort during initial courtship of their prize...but it is so foreign it consumes most if not all of our energy much like cramming for a final exam and is not sustainable permanently.

What most men want IMHO is a woman that recognized the Herculean effort we put forth and call it good for what it was...then except us from then on as a worthy element in their life as we move to the next stage.. the provider, protector , fixer, luster of their body and best friend and companion that we want to be.

No we will never completely mix and become one...but we need to shake it up together as often as we can giving both a taste of that flavorful topping each desire to pore out and be satisfied on their salad called life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
Like, Wow.

One of my brothers has a wife and four daughters. I swear he could have written what you just did. You sound exactly like him.
Sounds like there is some real insight there.

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 17:39   #179

Well, let me add this. My brother swears that this book is on to something. I read it and I must confess I learned lots.

Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus: A Practical Guide for Improving Communication and Getting What You Want in Your Relationships

By John Gray

Amazon.com: Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus: The Classic Guide to Understanding the Opposite Sex (9780060574215): John Gray: Books

I know some professionals don't like the book, but I thought it was very insightful--but then I'm pretty much a dullard on the subject. I especially liked the stuff about women and theirs waves. And the stuff about men being rubberbands struck me as very congruent.

I know my brother lives by this book, and he sure seems to have much of this figured out far more than me.
Old 07-01-2010, 21:18   #180

Boat: looking
What do men want? Women.
How do we get them? We don't know, but wherever there are women, we have a man, there, working on it. Now, he isn't always our best man for the job, but rest assured he is there. That's why we beep our horns & whistle at women. These are the best ideas we've come up with, so far. (roughly stolen from Jerry Seinfeld)

When we run out of options trying to attract the local women, we set to sea in search of more women. Some of us circumnavigate the world in search of them. We try to lure them with shiny baubles and impressive stories. But, there is one thing we prize above women; our boats. Please, don't take our boats. Our boats allow us to go in search of more women. Maybe, that is why some women - as in Brent's experiences - want us to give up our boats. Because boats are more correctly known as "wetlands women-chasers". Sadly, we need money to have boats and attract women. Life is pretty simple... just get money, then get a boat, then get a woman, sail, then die. I haven't figured out how kids, dogs/cats, houses & cars fall into the equation, yet. I think that they are a by-product, much like in many chemical equations. That is my theory.
Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men