Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2009, 11:21   #76

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I'll have 2 sugars in that please luv

If I thought you were serious!
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 11:32   #77

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
And these 'principles' entitle you to believe that a woman's sole purpose is to serve the superior male?

You'd be walking the plank on my boat.
And you'd be walking the plank on mine.

Nobody mentioned anybody 'serving' anybody nor anybody being 'superior'. But if I can lift 100lbs and you can only lift 50lbs, doesn't that naturally mean that I'm stronger than you? And vice-versa if you can lift 100lbs and I can lift 50lbs? It simply means that one person is stronger than the other in that particular task.
By the same token, if you can tear apart a diesel engine better than I, then you should be in charge of repairing the engine. If I can polish the teak better than you than I should be in charge of that task. It seems that as a society we've taken the 'equality' aspect to such an extreme that it is bordering on the ludicrous, and blurs the line between leader and follower...the leader being the person that is better at leading, whomever it is.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 11:41   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
“Dear Penthouse Forum,

I’m 55, pot bellied and bald. To be honest I have face that causes boat hulls to blister when they catch my reflection.

To my surprise I recently hit it off with a 25 year old glorious blonde bombshell of a woman. She is fantastic in bed and I can not believe the things she comes up with and is willing to do. She never talks back and only speaks when spoken to. Meeting my smallest whim appears to bring her the utmost satisfaction.

My only problem is; I really wish she would turn herself into a sailboat during the day!”

Really now this thread has been amusing but got off the path right in the beginning. What I really was hoping to hear was from the ladies as to what they thought men wanted in a boat to go along with the "what do women what in a boat" question. Wonder if I started a new one and named it a little different there would be a chance to bring it around?
The fact is, what most woman want in a boat is it sold. That particularly applies to 'cruisers'. You might just as well ask 'what do men want in a wedding'? as its just as ridiculous of a question (and the answer is, 'it over with'.)
Old 18-11-2009, 11:56   #79
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
What sad thinking and outlook!
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 12:02   #80

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Precisely Don
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 12:17   #81

Sad? Hardly. More like accurate. And of course, uncomfortable for many to come to terms with, hence the denial(s), etc.
Old 18-11-2009, 13:08   #82
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
A cruising boat this is an acceptable compromise for both myself and my fiance - IMO anything else is bound to lead to 'Not Sure's' comment about her "wanting it sold".

The good news is that as I have gotten older, my preferences have actually gotten closer to those of my fiance: firstly, my sailing ambitions have become more modest (no more thoughts of a circumnavigation - my longest passages will be from Canada to South America and then across the Atlantic to cruise the Med, and back); secondly, I have developed a definite desire for both some living space and the comforts of home; finally, I no longer get much joy out of a long bash to windward, nor of heading out in questionable conditions, nor of making constant adjustments to seek out the maximum performance from my boat.

The end result is that I now have my first catamaran: no, she is not a performance boat, but she is solid and safe, designed and equipped to handle difficult conditions when they arise and extremely comodioius and comfortable. My lady gets a large ensuite head compartment with a great deal of counter and storage space, a separate 'tub room' with bathtub, shower and another vanity, a 12 foot long galley with both front load and top load refrigeration units, a microwave, tons of storage and counter space and a stove/oven that does not require gimbals, a 160 gallon a day watermaker, a saloon with a table that seats 6 and two other settees to seat four, a flat screen bulkhead mounted TV, a stateroom with a queen size berth, a seat, a hanging locker and three cupboards with shelves, a large deck area with netting (and removable closed-cell foam lounging cushions), a full size nav station with bench seat for using the computer/radios/back-up chartplotter, two other private staterooms (private in that they are separated by at least 3 feet from any other stateroom), a separate head compartment for use by our guests, a cockpit with a removable full enclosure (including bug screens) and a solid teak table and, finally, a full size door for entry into the interior that does not require the balancing act of climbing a steep companionway ladder in a heeling boat while trying to bring drinks or food out to the cockpit. And I get - well, I get the same (and a very happy lady).

Would I like a boat that is better to windward? Yes, although mine tacks extremely readily in all wind conditions and through about 100 degrees on the chartplotter (inclusive of side-slip). Hardly a meter boat, but for someone who is now trying to do largely tradewind sailing and who will have the luxury of time in planning voyages, I can certainly live with it. I do find that the performance/stability in reaching conditions and the ability to fly a symmetrical spinnaker without a pole suit my current needs perfectly.

I also enjoy docking with twin diesels; I enjoy redundant systems (beats having to bleed your only diesel just as you are approaching a narrow inlet); and of course, huge space and the ability to sit down when you do have to service them.

I enjoy the visibility from the interior (and especially from the chart table, which permits the ability to use a remote for the autopilot from the interior of the boat in bad conditions).

I enjoy the ability to move forward in adverse conditions on an essentially non-heeling platform and, the fact that when on davits, the inflatable receives some side to side protection from the aft portion of the hulls.

Now, if I can just free-up the money for a cat with similar accomodation but better performance (boards, high-tech construction and a LOA of about 55 - 60 feet) we could both have it all....

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 13:26   #83

A mute would be incredibly boring. And if the woman always does what she's told then you're to blame for just about everything that goes wrong.

I want a boat that is extremely low maintenance, propane stove and oven, refrigeration and a freezer, an engine that has no problems, enough headroom to be able to use the shower, all bunks at least 7' long, good ventilation everywhere, sails and motors well, and dirt cheap.
jm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 13:33   #84

Boat: Looking, looking, Looking
Well this man-
1. to make it to May 2013 so i can retire
2. some money out of my house to buy a boat
3. well all the rest is gravy

Now ask me in 2014 and I am sure I will want lots of gear and replacement parts for both me and the boat
fbchristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 15:12   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
A cruising boat this is an acceptable compromise for both myself and my fiance - IMO anything else is bound to lead to 'Not Sure's' comment about her "wanting it sold".

The good news is that as I have gotten older, my preferences have actually gotten closer to those of my fiance: firstly, my sailing ambitions have become more modest (no more thoughts of a circumnavigation - my longest passages will be from Canada to South America and then across the Atlantic to cruise the Med, and back); secondly, I have developed a definite desire for both some living space and the comforts of home; finally, I no longer get much joy out of a long bash to windward, nor of heading out in questionable conditions, nor of making constant adjustments to seek out the maximum performance from my boat.

The end result is that I now have my first catamaran: no, she is not a performance boat, but she is solid and safe, designed and equipped to handle difficult conditions when they arise and extremely comodioius and comfortable. My lady gets a large ensuite head compartment with a great deal of counter and storage space, a separate 'tub room' with bathtub, shower and another vanity, a 12 foot long galley with both front load and top load refrigeration units, a microwave, tons of storage and counter space and a stove/oven that does not require gimbals, a 160 gallon a day watermaker, a saloon with a table that seats 6 and two other settees to seat four, a flat screen bulkhead mounted TV, a stateroom with a queen size berth, a seat, a hanging locker and three cupboards with shelves, a large deck area with netting (and removable closed-cell foam lounging cushions), a full size nav station with bench seat for using the computer/radios/back-up chartplotter, two other private staterooms (private in that they are separated by at least 3 feet from any other stateroom), a separate head compartment for use by our guests, a cockpit with a removable full enclosure (including bug screens) and a solid teak table and, finally, a full size door for entry into the interior that does not require the balancing act of climbing a steep companionway ladder in a heeling boat while trying to bring drinks or food out to the cockpit. And I get - well, I get the same (and a very happy lady).

Would I like a boat that is better to windward? Yes, although mine tacks extremely readily in all wind conditions and through about 100 degrees on the chartplotter (inclusive of side-slip). Hardly a meter boat, but for someone who is now trying to do largely tradewind sailing and who will have the luxury of time in planning voyages, I can certainly live with it. I do find that the performance/stability in reaching conditions and the ability to fly a symmetrical spinnaker without a pole suit my current needs perfectly.

I also enjoy docking with twin diesels; I enjoy redundant systems (beats having to bleed your only diesel just as you are approaching a narrow inlet); and of course, huge space and the ability to sit down when you do have to service them.

I enjoy the visibility from the interior (and especially from the chart table, which permits the ability to use a remote for the autopilot from the interior of the boat in bad conditions).

I enjoy the ability to move forward in adverse conditions on an essentially non-heeling platform and, the fact that when on davits, the inflatable receives some side to side protection from the aft portion of the hulls.

Now, if I can just free-up the money for a cat with similar accomodation but better performance (boards, high-tech construction and a LOA of about 55 - 60 feet) we could both have it all....

Brad
That sounds like a sweet boat. But let's be honest, you've essentially got a house on pontoons with some sails. Nothing wrong with that, as you said, it's certainly better than the 'wanting it sold' part, but judging by your statements you've certainly made numerous compromises to what _you_want (which is the title of this thread) in order to more accommodate _her_ wants. Again, nothing wrong with that....but it clearly isn't what you would prefer in a boat if you had your druthers.

One other thing....you mentioned she's your fiance. I can state from personal experience and observation over many years time that often as not once the wedding ring goes on the finger you've essentially lost the upper hand that you now have in deciding on the 'compromises'....at least certainly without argument. In other words, it usually doesn't get better than what you have now

Let's hope for your sake I'm wrong
Old 18-11-2009, 15:36   #86

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Not Sure -

How in the world did you pick that name?
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 15:38   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
One other thing....
Personal comments about other members is unrequired. This falls into the category of any post that that starts with "everyone needs to know". We don't need "the other thing" either. For your sake I'm right.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 16:27   #88

Boat: CS 36 Traditional
All the necessary systems to sustain:

Peace of mind, good food, good wine, good music, good friends and a happy wife. My motto is:
"A happy wife is a happy life"
Gaucho Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 16:45   #89

Boat: Le Zephyr, MacGregor 26M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Wow! 2 honest answers in a row....
Wow I must be good all the time!
Québec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 16:47   #90

Boat: Le Zephyr, MacGregor 26M
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Don't be too annoyed.. most women are little girls at heart as well...

and besides, it wasn't a woman who said it... this time at least!

and yeah, we DO know what ya'll want, and when you're good, you get it ; -)
And now in context:
Wow I jmust be good all the time!
Q1
Québec 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men