Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2010, 06:40   #136
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bugga.... wrong thread.... sorry guys....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:18   #137

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Personally after many years cruising with a variety of lady friends and occasional partners the Priorities seem to be....
1/ A boat that doesn't I Quote.. Go Tippy Tippy
2/ A Guy prepared to take their turn in the Galley.
3/ A Skipper/Husband who does not scream orders at them when anchoring making the lady look stupid ( Something I've witnessed in many anchorage's) when onlookers know that the Skippers at fault for poor tuition or bad boat handling.
4/ A Partner prepared to leave the Helm to her while he does the dirty heavy work up forward.
5/ A Partner who does not say "Jeez.. look at the tits on that"
6/ A Skipper who realises 'Women are Different'...
7/ Fellow crew members who 'vent the heads' the morning after the nite before.
8/ A Skipper who doesn't think he the sexiest thing since George Clooney
Maybe some ladies would care to comment... or maybe correct me...lol... so far its only Male response's
Since you asked I'll answer. IMHO you are correct. I assume "tippy tippy" is sailing on your ear which is not fun, slows the boat down, and is unseamenlike. A nice 20 - 25 deg heel is very comfortable for cruising, a little more if I am trying to kick someones butt
Cheers,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:58   #138
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Since you asked I'll answer. IMHO you are correct. I assume "tippy tippy" is sailing on your ear which is not fun, slows the boat down, and is unseamenlike. A nice 20 - 25 deg heel is very comfortable for cruising, a little more if I am trying to kick someones butt
Cheers,
Erika
Erika.... 10 to 15 degrees is enuf for me..... find moving around more tiring .... hanging off various hand holds etc... also lose more "Essential Liquids"... beer, rum, coffee etc.... also most of today's boats have crap gimbals... more than 20deg and the cooker keeps banging against the hull..
Ciao fer now..
Phil.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:18   #139

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Regardless of how you feel about her Dr. Laura Schlessinger (a radio psychobabble personality) wrote two books worth reading........ 10 stupid things men do to mess up their lives.............
...........For those who want the cliff notes version click here --- > Stupid things
Distilled common sense, wish I had read it 35 years ago:banghe ad:
Old 06-01-2010, 09:39   #140
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hahahaha...OK Talbot... got the message....
but I still aint buyin the book....
Phil

Old 06-01-2010, 10:18   #141

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Regardless of how you feel about her Dr. Laura Schlessinger (a radio psychobabble personality) wrote two books worth reading.

10 stupid things men do to mess up their lives
10 stupid things women do to mess up their lives

I identified at least 4 things I do.

Top of my list is Stupid Chivalry - the pathological need to rescue damsels in distress.

Done incorrectly it can establish all kinds of bad habits in a relationship.

For those who want the cliff notes version click here --- > Stupid things
Ha ha. I almost always dated really strong, intelligent women (Ph.D types) and then pulled a No. 1 when I decided to get married. Oh boy. Dumb ass----->> me. Guilty as charged. LMAO.

"1. Stupid Chivalry

By getting involved with the wrong woman (weak, flaky, damaged, needy, desperate, stupid, untrustworthy, immature, etc.) you think that your love will save/transform her."
Old 06-01-2010, 10:42   #142

You know, when I think about it, this is a mistake that is so common I suspect there is some evolutionary installed biological mechanism underpinning it. Men are programmed for it.

I hear lots of talk from women today to the effect of, "I don't need a man; I can make my own way in this world without one. But I want one anyhow."

Contrast that with a woman whose essence communicates the opposite: "I need help; I can't do this this life alone."

I wonder if men are not somehow evolutionarily programed to favor the latter over the former at some subconscious or unconscious level. There has got to be a reason why Dr. Laura Schlessinger lists that as problem No. 1; sort of the reverse parallel of women habitually going for the Bad Boy when they should and may, in fact, know better (female attraction to the Alpha Male or at least the appearance of an Alpha Male).

Male attraction to the 'weaker' sex, the weaker the better?
Old 06-01-2010, 12:46   #143

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Some women don't want to be rescued (nor needs to be ). I do want a partner to share triumphs and burdens with - package deal

Sometime I thing we over analyze everything, it is really very simple -boy meets girl, they have common interests and ideals, they fall in love.... it can and does happen.

Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:58   #144

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I agree with some women over analyzing things. It's actually kind of funny to watch. "Why did he do this when he met me" like men actually have that sort of emotional intelligence and are deliberately choosing the stupid things we sometimes say or do. You might as well be asking an ape why it's scratching its butt with its left paw instead of its right.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 13:04   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Some women don't want to be rescued (nor needs to be ). I do want a partner to share triumphs and burdens with - package deal

Sometime I thing we over analyze everything, it is really very simple -boy meets girl, they have common interests and ideals, they fall in love.... it can and does happen.

Erika
Sure, about not wanting or needing to be rescued. Intellectually, that makes sense. And the boy-meets-girl thing too. Yes, happy endings ARE simple.

But when things go terribly wrong, isn't analysis the order of the day? Otherwise, how do you avoid being the fool who keeps doing the same thing but expects a different result?

I mean, if there really are common patterns of mistakes, what's the harm in knowing about them?
Old 06-01-2010, 13:08   #146

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
I agree with some women over analyzing things. It's actually kind of funny to watch. "Why did he do this when he met me" like men actually have that sort of emotional intelligence and are deliberately choosing the stupid things we sometimes say or do. You might as well be asking an ape why it's scratching its butt with its left paw instead of its right.
HA! Bingo! Mine resembles that remark. Unfortunately, she does it with a major chip on her shoulder about everything, then wonders "why it's not working"... hmm I wonder.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 13:22   #147

It's a proven biological fact that women think about EVERYTHING more than men. Brain scans and the like have consistently proven it.

The reason is because the corpus callosum (the tissue connecting the two halves of the brain) is larger in women than men, so they have the ability to call up more information from both halves of the brain better than men. Ergo, they end up with more ideas bouncing around inside their head than do men. This extra activity shows up in brain scans. The electrical activity in men's brains, I'm sorry to say, is way below that of women.
Old 06-01-2010, 13:26   #148

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
I wouldnt disagree with this statement, in fact I resemble that remark, but its a little off topic.
Old 06-01-2010, 15:23   #149
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
......... The electrical activity in men's brains, I'm sorry to say, is way below that of women.
Only in the terms of communicating and analysis (i.e.gossip etc).

Show a man a complicated treasure map that has lots of rum along the route to the the chest of gold and jewels, tell him he has to make a boat to sail to the treasure island, toss in a wench or too and watch the brain activity go through the roof .

As to the 10 Most Stupid Things, heck, I think Dr Laura got it wrong, that list is the 10 Most Great Things that define a real man and I wear them all as a badge of honor. Of course this could explain why I am posting on CF rather than out partying with a great bunch of beautiful intelligent sailing women .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 15:24   #150

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Personally, I think men want "uncomplicated" when it comes to relationships. But then that's wishful thinking isn't it?
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men