Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 15:11   #61
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Hey, Mark.

Do you have this blarsted Saharan dust over there on SM? Visibility is down to about 4 miles here.

Where are you moored, by the way?
Is that what it is? I thought it was like a sea mist! It can't be from the Sahara thats miles away! Can it?

We are spending the time mainly in Grand Case and tripping off to Marigot every few days for admin.

The registration is being flowen out on Fedex so will be here next week!

There is still over 100 yachts anchored in Marigot but some leave each day for north to USA or to Europe via Azores.

We will head off as soon as possable... but may have an unassociated delay! LOL we cant win!
Australian Cricket team (a sport) is coming to the Caribbean to play the West Indies (combined Caribbean team), one game is on St Kitts... so we might go to Barbados and see that, then maybe Panama and do some pacific.

I dont think we will be able to drop in and see you this time around. We have had such a fill of admin we dont want to even clear in and out of too many places for a while! LOL We are looking for a deserted island out of the hurrican area with NO PEOPLE and nice fish all pan sized

I must say its hard finding an anchorage out of the wind on this island. I dont mind it for sailing, but every bay in this joint has a wind funnel from the hills.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 15:29   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Is that what it is? I thought it was like a sea mist! It can't be from the Sahara thats miles away! Can it?...
Yep – the Sahara is a few miles away, and it does affect the Caribbean & the American Continents.
Every year, up to 200 million tonnes of Saharan dust is blown across the Atlantic towards the Caribbean, and (N & S) American Continents.
In fact, it’s been estimated that there is an accumulation of 1m (3.28 Feet) of sediment, from Saharan dust, over the Florida peninsula, every million years, or so.
Ie:
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/florida_dust.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 15:49   #63
cruiser

Don't pass judgement on all cruising by an experience with one Captain Bligh.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 15:51   #64
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
up to 200 million tonnes of Saharan dust is blown across the Atlantic towards the Caribbean, and (N & S) American Continents.
We have both been reading Joshua Slocums book (I've read it several times before but it is still magic to read it again!) and he mentions Blood Rain when he was in Melbourne, Australia where the desert dust storm blowing red dust over Melbourne far the the south east was rained upon and it appeared like red rain!

This looks like a white mist and with rain (which we have had most nights till now) must wash down mud.

Every place in the world is interesting and if we can get the bimini back and the dodger forward we can all see it

Thanks to both of you. It makes our stay here that little more special. We will sleep on deck again tonight - not because its too hot below, but because its not too cool above!

Old 09-05-2008, 16:02   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
We will sleep on deck again tonight - not because its too hot below, but because its not too cool above!

Or because the spa is just too far away and you could really use an African mud treatment.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 16:15   #66
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
you could really use an African mud treatment.
ME? Or Nicolle?

I dunno how a few gallons of mud could make me better looking?

ROTFL

Old 09-05-2008, 17:01   #67
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Saharan Dust

Here's an image of the Saharan air layer. It's bad enough here, but worse down south.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAL.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	3535  
Old 15-05-2008, 13:20   #68

Boat: Hartley Queenslander 36
Hi Nicolle,

Im glad you asked this question because I'm having the same thoughts- we set off next year and Im a little unsure what Im going to DO all day! Unfortunately, we're cruising the North Sea for a couple of years first, so swimming and sunbathing are out! Its not the living aboard part that concerns me- we've been doing that for over a year now- its the not having to go to work! (Wow- now Im REALLY excited! ) Or having any other set schedule. I guess Im a little worried about being bored.

I see you've got your boat- congrats. How are you finding it?

Did anyone else feel they'd be bored before they set off, and how has the reality been for you all since leaving?

www.concretefloats.com
www.sailingmissmoneypenny.com
miss-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 15:18   #69

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss-m View Post
Hi Nicolle,

Im glad you asked this question because I'm having the same thoughts- we set off next year and Im a little unsure what Im going to DO all day! Unfortunately, we're cruising the North Sea for a couple of years first, so swimming and sunbathing are out! Its not the living aboard part that concerns me- we've been doing that for over a year now- its the not having to go to work! (Wow- now Im REALLY excited! ) Or having any other set schedule. I guess Im a little worried about being bored.

I see you've got your boat- congrats. How are you finding it?

Did anyone else feel they'd be bored before they set off, and how has the reality been for you all since leaving?

If you get bored it's your own fault. Imagine the free time you'll have to read all the books you want, learn about the places you're traveling to, and maybe even pick up a new language or hobby (play guitar, knit, take apart a diesel engine )

Trust me, you will not be bored. And if you are, then just go back to working a 9-to-5... then you'll see.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2008, 18:29   #70

Boat: Tayana 55
Oooh! Cruising is fantastic

I got to fix the stove today! That must be a reason to celebrate... off to the cockpit with a cold beverage to watch the sun finish setting.

Stove Adventure posted @ http://www.samadhiv.org/

S/V Samadhi V - Tayana 55
Currently cruising in Mexico

https://www.samadhiv.org/
Samadhi V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 19:18   #71

Wrong place wrong time

I fear feeling out of place at moorings. I am hoping to learn from others that I have nothing to fear.
I love sailing, I love the live aboard life style, I love snorkeling and diving, fishing, shelling, birding, the quiet, the adventure, reggae, steel bands, making ceviche. Have done a lot of liveaboard expedition cruising in unique places....
What will be very disappointing for me on extended cruising is finding myself in moorings or anchorages where there is a 'side show' going on. This is something that guys think is terrific and that women should quietly tolerate, while he is the happy voyeur. I am very uncomfortable with it, and learned this while a liveaboard on a lake. That aspect is not for me.
I have to make a big decision SOON. I am really excited during this boat shopping and research period....highly motivated to cruise indefinitely. I always work hard as crew, galley and at the helm. I fear it will ruin it for me if I have to enter each new port of call or remote beach dreading the 'side show' that is certain to spoil the day .
Please don't go off about how I am too up tight. Please just be honest about your observations while cruising, and tell me what to expect in this regard. Reality: there are women who like to parade around with little or nothing and enjoy being ogled and most of the sailors will be eager to oblige. That is the kind of environment at home in the city, TV,movies. I want to escape that type of distraction and focus.
Our plans are to begin with the Caribbean. I am already trying to figure out how to avoid St Marten. Ladies, please tell me what you have experienced.
gearinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:24   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearinup View Post
... What will be very disappointing for me on extended cruising is finding myself in moorings or anchorages where there is a 'side show' going on.
...Reality: there are women who like to parade around with little or nothing and enjoy being ogled and most of the sailors will be eager to oblige. That is the kind of environment at home in the city, TV, movies. I want to escape that type of distraction and focus.
Our plans are to begin with the Caribbean. I am already trying to figure out how to avoid St Marten. Ladies, please tell me what you have experienced.
I wouldn't worry about it.
Although I’m not a lady, and definitely not up-tight, I’ve noticed that (too) few of these women are out cruising.
That is the kind of environment (at home in the city, TV, movies) you will mostly be able to escape in most* cruising destinations.

* Although certain European nationals (notably French) think nothing of topless women (boating & beach), most mature Europeans have learned to adapt to the local customs & mores, by the time they reach the Caribbean.
As with anything, there will be notable, but rare, exceptions.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 04:27   #73
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I agree with Gord. In our cruising experience in the eastern Caribbean, we saw very little nudity in the anchorages. It is actively discouraged (and usually illegal) on the British-heritage islands, although there will be the odd violator now and again.

Since partial nudity is culturally acceptable to some European nationals, especially the French, you could always choose your anchoring location well away from boats flying "le drapeau tricolore".

Now I'll shut up and hope some cruising ladies will express their opinions.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:23   #74

What to expect...Hud3

Thanks for your perspective of what to expect. Nothing against having it from a guy....just was expecting to get slammed by guys about my comfort zone.
On the lake, at dock or at anchor things would become pretty exhibitionist. I found a simple answer: leave. Often, in the social group of couples I was among....the rest of the ladies, dates, wives would leave with me. They shared with me how much they hated going to the lake because of the other boaters' females acting up, they were embarassed by their date, husband, sons...whatever, gawking and whooping, bringing out binoculars. We ladies might as well been on Pluto...invisible, so they thanked me for leaving because they were tired of being 'tolerant' at what they also experienced as a turn off, and disappointment for their day or evening. I had my own Mainship 40 and would pull anchor and say all aboard for the ride back to reggae or ritas....or up the way to a better party. If it happened at the dock, I would politely explain I was headed for the palapa bar to dance and would excuse myself. Again, a group of ladies...dates/spouses would leave with me. (this had an amazing effect on the guys' behavior,...eventually). My boyfriend and I sold our lake liveaboards to sail/cruise. We are nearly ready. The problem is, it isn't easy to 'leave' a situtation when you are long distance cruising and want to avoid things like this. I'll think of something creative for those 'rare' instances you refer to. Thanks.
gearinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:15   #75
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Sounds like you are decribing weekend partying by a younger set of people? I have not seen this kind of behaviour in my cruising life. As was said earlier there will be the occassional bare flesh, but it is usually a bit discrete, and well mannered. I wouldn't let this stop you from a wonderful experience that awaits you......BEST WISHES
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote